Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Airfield Damage Glitch???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Airfield Damage Glitch??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Airfield Damage Glitch??? - 8/13/2006 5:50:19 PM   
rtrapasso

At great expense, i thought i managed to shut down the airfield at Lae by massed bomber assault - the recon showed 52% damage. Aha! i was also pretty sure i had put it above the 50% mark as there were no longer any aircraft seen, despite the fact that 100+ ac had been there before i bombed it. This indicates to me that my esteemed opponent saw that the base was knocked out, and evacuated all flyable aircraft. BTW - despite the rulebook, i've found no matter the size of the airfield, nobody flies even CAP if the airfield is at 51%+ damage.

Normally, i routinely save my move as i go along in case i click on something incorrectly - which i did, moving fighters to the wrong base.

No problem, i thought - i'll just reload the game. i reloaded as was checking around again, and noted that Lae airbase was only at 37% damage!!!

What the... i reloaded the save turn again, and now it shows 29% damage!!

So, even if there is FOW, my assessment shouldn't change during the move... does this indicate file corruption or another problem. Having gone to the trouble and expense to get the airfield to 52% damage, should i redo the turn before sending it???
Post #: 1
RE: Airfield Damage Glitch??? - 8/13/2006 9:01:33 PM   
rtrapasso

Continuing to save and reload made the airfield damage report keep dropping - it got down to 24%, so i elected to redo the turn...

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2
RE: Airfield Damage Glitch??? - 8/14/2006 7:06:49 AM   
erstad

I've definitely seen the FOW change on a reload. For example, the list of enemy ships in a TF shown in a mouseover will often change after a reload. Clearly in this case, it is a FOW change as the ships are not teleporting in and out.

This may be what you're seeing, but there's insufficient data to say if it's only FOW change or a real change. If your opponent is amenable to such things, you could send him a turn where you did save/reload/rinse/repeat and another where you didn't; he could use the latter for the turn but open both and see if the airfield damage is the same in both. My *guess* is that's it's just FOW, but it'd be nice to know!

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3
RE: Airfield Damage Glitch??? - 8/16/2006 3:55:43 AM   
rtrapasso

If you load a game, save it, load it, save it, etc. not changing anything - the airfield damage will keep decreasing. It never increases.

If it was FOW, i would expect it to increase and decrease sort of randomly.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 4
RE: Airfield Damage Glitch??? - 8/16/2006 5:12:35 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

If you load a game, save it, load it, save it, etc. not changing anything - the airfield damage will keep decreasing. It never increases.

I guess the original beta team didn't adequately test the "save and reload", save and reload" strategy !!! Shame on them !!!

My guess is that one of the many "sweep" routines is running at load time and performing this "service". Suggested solution would be to avoid "save and reload" repetitions to the extent possible.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 5
RE: Airfield Damage Glitch??? - 8/16/2006 5:32:59 AM   
Nikademus

lol....players always find a way.

pity us poor beta....

p.s. It was Joe's fault.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 6
RE: Airfield Damage Glitch??? - 8/16/2006 12:25:10 PM   
pauk

I don't think it was rtrapasso's fault. In some cases you actually need to reload the turn IE when you doing AAR and want make some screenies....

I've noticed this "glitch" as well but i think damage actually increases in few cases (but i'm not 100% sure).

Didn't experimented with continuing save and reload method....(and i don't even want to do it:)

Anyway, i do not count on that because Japanese recon proves worthless more than once!

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 7
RE: Airfield Damage Glitch??? - 8/16/2006 9:00:35 PM   
treespider

Perhaps another cause of the Replay bug...

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 8
RE: Airfield Damage Glitch??? - 8/17/2006 12:37:02 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

I guess the original beta team didn't adequately test the "save and reload", save and reload" strategy !!! Shame on them !!!

My guess is that one of the many "sweep" routines is running at load time and performing this "service". Suggested solution would be to avoid "save and reload" repetitions to the extent possible.

Yeah - the reason i originally did the save and reload was because i clumsily clicked on the wrong base for transfer (one line down). That's when i noticed this problem.

Last night, the computer sorta crashed (everything ground to a halt) thus necessitating a reload.

So, it's not like it's something i constantly do (save and reload), but sometimes you HAVE TO! i do frequent saves, however, just in case something like a crash does occur. Fortunately, WINDOWS never, ever has any problems, though...

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 9
RE: Airfield Damage Glitch??? - 8/17/2006 2:49:29 AM   
dtravel

quote:

My guess is that one of the many "sweep" routines is running at load time and performing this "service".

Anyone else seeing the obvious question?

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 10
RE: Airfield Damage Glitch??? - 8/17/2006 6:50:27 AM   
erstad

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

quote:

My guess is that one of the many "sweep" routines is running at load time and performing this "service".

Yup

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 11
RE: Airfield Damage Glitch??? - 8/17/2006 8:40:31 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

quote:

Yup

Nope.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Airfield Damage Glitch??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI