Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Prisoners of war rules ruin this game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> The War Room >> Prisoners of war rules ruin this game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Prisoners of war rules ruin this game - 10/14/2006 11:29:29 AM   
FStovall

The manner in which prisoners of war are handled is ludicrous and ruins an otherwise good game. The idea that prisoners of war are reconstituted into active military units if liberated is idiotic. If anything, they should be repatriated as manpower that can be rebuilt as units through the regular unit construction process. Its probably more accurate to do away with prisoners of war as units altogether. Where are the muskets, powder and organization coming from to reconstitute these units in enemy territory? Unfortunately, I would recommend prospective purchasers hold off until this glaring problem is fixed, because it leads to incredibly bizarre results.
Post #: 1
RE: Prisoners of war rules ruin this game - 10/14/2006 3:13:41 PM   
Clausel

Its a fair point to raise about automatic reconstitution but its not something that hinders my enjoyment of an outstanding game. Remember that prisoners do take a morale hit, artillery can be captured and cavalry only ever return as infantry. Also prisoner numbers will suffer attrition over time in captivity. The main issue for me is that no account is taken of prisoner totals in morale/glory outcomes (except indirectly) and on a country's ability to keep recruiting. I like being forced to deal with prisoners - it introduces a genuine operational constraint.

< Message edited by Clausel -- 10/14/2006 3:16:17 PM >

(in reply to FStovall)
Post #: 2
RE: Prisoners of war rules ruin this game - 12/8/2006 7:24:30 PM   
Grande

Yes but what is the use of having prisoners units? You cant use them for anything, right?? At least they should be used for forced labour or something!

(in reply to Clausel)
Post #: 3
RE: Prisoners of war rules ruin this game - 4/19/2007 6:22:18 AM   
GalacticOrigins

This is not too big of a problem. Actually, I like this feature.

According to the rules, PoW units do increase a province's economics somewhat, albeit a low amount. I usually move any captured PoW units to my capitol, since that province is my most productive. Of course, these units need to be guarded.

Still, I think it is kinda cool to have these. On occasion, they get released when an ally or original owner recaptures the PoW units. A strategic message appears when this happens in the province, and I like to think it helps me keep track of two rivals who are at war.

Also, when first captured, many of the guns and quite a few horses get added to the capturing side's stockpiles, which is kinda neat. And, all PoW units are infantry, anyway. Sometimes I get to liberate my PoW from enemy hands when I could use the extra units in that theatre. All in all, PoW's tend to spice things up.

Note: There usually are not too many PoW units around, although they can add up in a very long war. It is also nice to see my capitol province empty out after Peace.

< Message edited by GalacticOrigins -- 4/19/2007 6:26:02 AM >

(in reply to Grande)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> The War Room >> Prisoners of war rules ruin this game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI