Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sieges

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> Sieges Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sieges - 1/28/2007 8:54:45 AM   
Rexor

I'm thinking seriously of getting this game. A question: How are sieges handled? If it's a hex-based game, and only one side or the other can occupy a hex (I'm assuming), how are slow, weeks-old sieges handled for the control of a fortified hex?
Post #: 1
RE: Sieges - 1/28/2007 6:26:17 PM   
Moltke71

You must have two forces on opposite sides of the city.  The number of turns before a city starves shows in the info panel.  If one of your forces has siege cannon, they can bombard, reduce fortifications and allow assaults.  Coastal cities cannot be starved out unless you have naval superiority - an abstract factor.

Jim Cobb

(in reply to Rexor)
Post #: 2
RE: Sieges - 1/28/2007 10:16:01 PM   
Rexor

I see. Thanks. Also, I notice that neither Halifax nor Quebec have fortifications. Is this intentional? Weren't they very strong historically in fortifications?

(in reply to Moltke71)
Post #: 3
Cannon assult - 3/15/2007 5:55:28 PM   
mmccot

After lumbering 18 cannons from Fort Ticonderoga to Providence; to team up with Du Pointx,and his 18 cannons, I can't seem to attack with those cannons. Both have infantry with them. I was going to merge the cannons with infantry but didn't want to loose readiness. I don't have a seige stance either, so... how does one attack (assault by bombing) with the cannons, to dissrupt, for infantry assault.

Thanks

(in reply to Rexor)
Post #: 4
RE: Cannon assult - 3/15/2007 8:35:02 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: mmccot

After lumbering 18 cannons from Fort Ticonderoga to Providence; to team up with Du Pointx,and his 18 cannons, I can't seem to attack with those cannons. Both have infantry with them. I was going to merge the cannons with infantry but didn't want to loose readiness. I don't have a seige stance either, so... how does one attack (assault by bombing) with the cannons, to dissrupt, for infantry assault.

Thanks

You need to have heavy cannons and be in Siege Stance. Once in Siege Stance right click on the unit and choose bombard. You can only Siege and Bombard the Special fort hexes, like Ticonderoga. You can't Seige the fortifications that can be built during the game.

(in reply to mmccot)
Post #: 5
RE: Cannon assult - 3/15/2007 10:26:58 PM   
mmccot

Thanks for the help, I have 24 heavy and 24 light cannons, along with DeKalb's 499 Light Dragoons and 500 Rifleman aimed at Providence (all on attack in the same hex). Provedence is not a fort for the enemy. Am I correct in assuming that if I attack, all armies in the hex, will join in the fray?

Thanks again

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 6
RE: Cannon assult - 3/15/2007 10:43:01 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: mmccot

Thanks for the help, I have 24 heavy and 24 light cannons, along with DeKalb's 499 Light Dragoons and 500 Rifleman aimed at Providence (all on attack in the same hex). Provedence is not a fort for the enemy. Am I correct in assuming that if I attack, all armies in the hex, will join in the fray?

Thanks again

They should. Make sure Reaction is switched on, the button is on the left panel IIRC.
Changing all the army's stances to Attack will help ensure they all join in provided they have enough movement point. You can check that by selecting each army and hovering over Providence and see if the army could attack. If one of your commanders has the Jealous trait the chances of joining are halved. Good luck with the assault!

(in reply to mmccot)
Post #: 7
RE: Cannon assult - 3/15/2007 11:17:12 PM   
mmccot

Thanks.. Yea, I didn't want to risk it; after all it took months to move the cannons. Whilem Von Knyphhausen is in town with about 2,000 Hessians.

After the surrender at Ft. Washington the Hessians were pelted with 58 killed 100 wounded and Knyphhausen stoped Col. Rall from entering the croweded fort. It would have been a blood bath.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> Sieges Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI