Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/10/2007 9:28:30 PM   
freeboy

IS Fite Dead?

I have run into a road block that our GREAT master p Ralph is trying to fix, but I wonder does anyone actually play this into 42 and do it succesffully? I will not start any new FITE games untill we find out just what the hell is going on. damn you evil ed and your crash code brother, I say Damn U!

< Message edited by freeboy -- 3/10/2007 9:43:28 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/10/2007 9:40:16 PM   
Veers

Eh?

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 2
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/10/2007 10:24:25 PM   
freeboy

Is Fite a game that has so many bugs that it is unplayable ?

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 3
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/10/2007 10:30:17 PM   
Menschenfresser

I was under the impression that it had almost no bugs. Any problems were a result of the .17 patch. So far as I've read here and at GameSquad, the vanishing units problem was fixed in the last patch.

Most games don't make it to 42 because one side wins or quits or both lose interest.

Make wargames, not war.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/10/2007 11:31:28 PM   
larryfulkerson

Buzz and I are on turn 45 as we speak.

(in reply to Menschenfresser)
Post #: 5
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/11/2007 1:49:59 AM   
freeboy

yepwe made it to 89, right as my breakout in 42 was to start.. maybe 88.. anywho this is not Realph or anyones fault, but with the dedicated folks here plowing into and revising Fite this issue should alarm someone besides myself.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 6
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/12/2007 1:52:44 AM   
freeboy

ok, My sentiments aside, that we need to stable fite...
My openent and I are back and running, so you may also see a new LF and I game, old fite5.0 with some new interesting pro german house rules to help.
Much thanks to Ralph, seems I cannot tell the difference between two same name differnent extention files!

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/12/2007 7:31:14 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

ok, My sentiments aside, that we need to stable fite...
My openent and I are back and running, so you may also see a new LF and I game, old fite5.0 with some new interesting pro german house rules to help.
Much thanks to Ralph, seems I cannot tell the difference between two same name differnent extention files!

FitE should wirk fine with 3.1.0.9 I was helping freeboy with a game that they'd started with 3.0.0.17, which mangled some of the events pretty badly. I couldn't see telling them to start over because of my mistake, so I've been helping them by fixing the events when possible.

3.1.0.9 should not have the same problems, and should work fine with FitE.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/12/2007 8:03:19 AM   
freeboy

Beers on me!

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 9
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/12/2007 1:49:07 PM   
loveman2

Well I am playing against Cantona and it is into winter of 1942 and I am getting my rear kicked good and proper. Yhe only thing I would say is that the russian army seems to keep growing in size and the german army cant break throught the front line as the russian player keeps reinforcing the line at the breakthrough points so perhaps makes for a game of static warfare. Maybe the producers of the game need to put some better sort of adjustments to allow for the russian player not to retreat his forward units during the opening phase of Barbarossa and the russian airforce is also a killer around october onwards despite smashing the majority of it in the opening turns.

The russians were disorganised and lacked leadership and perhaps a movement penalty needs to be imposed during the firat couple of months of barbarossa.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/12/2007 6:51:38 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: loveman1
Maybe the producers of the game need to put some better sort of adjustments to allow for the russian player not to retreat his forward units during the opening phase of Barbarossa...

This is one of the changes that Zort ( Buzz ) made to his FITE modded 4b scenario. The Russians are frozen for the first two turns. And the rail allowance is decreased for the first several turns. And the shock increase is delayed....and the production increase is delayed, and.... Maybe we can get Zort to detail the changes he made for us.

(in reply to loveman2)
Post #: 11
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/12/2007 6:51:39 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

The russians were disorganised and lacked leadership and perhaps a movement penalty needs to be imposed during the firat couple of months of barbarossa.

If you want a more historical campaign, then try setting things up as they were around the beginning of August. Thereafter the Russian errors were merely major, not actually catastrophic.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to loveman2)
Post #: 12
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/12/2007 6:53:00 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

Well I am playing against Cantona and it is into winter of 1942 and I am getting my rear kicked good and proper. Yhe only thing I would say is that the russian army seems to keep growing in size and the german army cant break throught the front line as the russian player keeps reinforcing the line at the breakthrough points so perhaps makes for a game of static warfare. Maybe the producers of the game need to put some better sort of adjustments to allow for the russian player not to retreat his forward units during the opening phase of Barbarossa and the russian airforce is also a killer around october onwards despite smashing the majority of it in the opening turns.

..take it up with the designer, not our main man..remember that it wasn't created with freedom that t3 gives so may need some rethinks, like " change formation orders to static " % chance additions, after all, now there's loads'a (daghan*) EvilEd slots which weren't there before...

..* one day soon i'll be able to do a complete post in bisayan, and a year after that in taga'k'olo..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to loveman2)
Post #: 13
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/12/2007 7:15:20 PM   
Zort

One of the things I have noticed when playing a eastern front games is players don't want to have restrictions put on them. That is understandable but we all have 20/20 hindsight. IE why would any sane soviet player push his units forward and attack piecemeal? So the question is how to make the game interesting for both players for the entire war.

So how to make a game that doesn't have tons of house rules (what would be nice is to have an in game option of not allowing units of a different background color to stack, ie Romanians and Hungarians). If there was a way for setting VPs to be more dynamic, ie if you don't attack x number of times with x number of units you take a vp hit which effects something like replacements, vp points or something that if not done there is a significant penalty.

But to stay within the TOAW engine you have Shock, events, activation and equipment to play with. Easiest thing to do is set shock to a low number. Next is to not activate units for x number of turns. Then events. Finally changing the equipment. This can be the most dynamic but is the hardest to do. Now having an easy way to move OOBs around would be nice.

quote:

Maybe the producers of the game need to put some better sort of adjustments to allow for the russian player not to retreat his forward units during the opening phase of Barbarossa...

I think setting the Shock to 80 was the designers intent to do this.

< Message edited by Zort -- 3/12/2007 7:19:01 PM >

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 14
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/13/2007 2:29:32 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zort

It doesn't really do the job, though. One in five formations stay put whilst the other four rush off to a line twenty hexes in front of Moscow. Except for those unlucky enough to be in striking distance of the border, only one in twenty-five formations will still be sitting in place after a second turn. Etc.

In fact, the heavy shock actively encourages the Soviet player to avoid early confrontation. I'd say on balance, though it's realistic enough in itself, it does nothing to prevent an unseemly flight on the part of the Russian.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Zort)
Post #: 15
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/13/2007 4:35:54 AM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

It doesn't really do the job, though. One in five formations stay put whilst the other four rush off to a line twenty hexes in front of Moscow. Except for those unlucky enough to be in striking distance of the border, only one in twenty-five formations will still be sitting in place after a second turn. Etc.

In fact, the heavy shock actively encourages the Soviet player to avoid early confrontation. I'd say on balance, though it's realistic enough in itself, it does nothing to prevent an unseemly flight on the part of the Russian.

Yeah - it would be nice to be able to set movement bias, force proficiency, electronic support level, force communication level and night combat proficiency (did i forget something?) by events. With this a lot could be done in this specific scenario as well as in all others. That would be a really mighty tool for designers. Has anyone of you TOADs ever brought this idea to Ralph or James?

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 16
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/13/2007 8:30:46 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar
Yeah - it would be nice to be able to set movement bias, force proficiency, electronic support level, force communication level and night combat proficiency (did i forget something?) by events. With this a lot could be done in this specific scenario as well as in all others. That would be a really mighty tool for designers. Has anyone of you TOADs ever brought this idea to Ralph or James?

This is something that we are considering, but it may not make it into TOAW III. It may have to wait until...

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 17
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/13/2007 7:39:38 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Yeah - it would be nice to be able to set movement bias, force proficiency, electronic support level, force communication level and night combat proficiency (did i forget something?) by events.

I agree- but none of this serves to make the Russian stand and fight in the early turns of a Barbarossa scenario.

One solution- which is currently not possible- would be to tie the end of shock effects and other penalties to the Russian or German loss total. So if the Red Army falls back to Moscow without a fight it will still be ripe for collapse there. Probably German loss penalty, as otherwise the event could be triggered just by disbanding units.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 3/13/2007 7:40:17 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 18
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/13/2007 7:55:17 PM   
freeboy

that could be simulated by captured cities, there are tons of vp citites on the way to Moscow!

Post #: 19
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/13/2007 8:01:24 PM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

that could be simulated by captured cities, there are tons of vp citites on the way to Moscow!

No, it couldn't. Because if one was to retreat to Moscow, the shock would be lifted by the loss of those citites and the Reds would still have gotten away without a fight.

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 20
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/13/2007 8:30:49 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

Yeah - it would be nice to be able to set movement bias, force proficiency, electronic support level, force communication level and night combat proficiency (did i forget something?) by events.

I agree- but none of this serves to make the Russian stand and fight in the early turns of a Barbarossa scenario.

One solution- which is currently not possible- would be to tie the end of shock effects and other penalties to the Russian or German loss total. So if the Red Army falls back to Moscow without a fight it will still be ripe for collapse there. Probably German loss penalty, as otherwise the event could be triggered just by disbanding units.

The values i suggested to be editable by events are not neccessarily meant to force the soviets to stand and fight, i didn't write that, Ben.
But they can be used to tame down the soviet war machine in the early months/years a bit, i'd say it's just realistic. Over time those values can grow and slowly enhance the red army.

What could be done is to award the soviet player VPs for holding Minsk, Smolensk etc until a certain turn, this might be usefull for a 'Barbarossa alone' scenario, maybe less usefull for a simulation of the entire war.

I like the idea you outlined above, would make sense, the soviets quickly learned from their early errors and adopted quite some german tactics in the course of the war and became the true masters of Blitzkrieg (Bagration etc.) to a certain degree. Without a fight until the germans reach the vicinity of Moscow they might have learned less (as it's the errors you learn from). Maybe in TOAW IV..

Post #: 21
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/14/2007 12:12:30 AM   
FaneFlugt

Mayby its a very balanced scenario, after all the Soviet Union did smack those germans around after the first year and a half.

- USSR player

< Message edited by FaneFlugt.DK -- 3/14/2007 12:13:15 AM >

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 22
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/14/2007 1:18:24 AM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

There's a great analysis of the Soviet Army, its plans and formations at http://leav-www.army.mil/fmso/documents/barbaros.htm

(in reply to loveman2)
Post #: 23
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/14/2007 2:51:30 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

What could be done is to award the soviet player VPs for holding Minsk, Smolensk etc until a certain turn,

That's one approach. For purposes of realism though a defeat through losing these cities means that the Russian player has been shot for cowardice. I doubt if losing them early would have had serious material consequences.

quote:

I like the idea you outlined above, would make sense, the soviets quickly learned from their early errors and adopted quite some german tactics in the course of the war and became the true masters of Blitzkrieg (Bagration etc.) to a certain degree. Without a fight until the germans reach the vicinity of Moscow they might have learned less (as it's the errors you learn from). Maybe in TOAW IV..

All it would need is for a new event trigger that works off force loss penalty.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 24
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/14/2007 3:21:00 AM   
Zort

Another way I think that will in effect hold the frontier sov forces in place without freezing them would be to reduce the number of equipment. So if research tells us that the forces were at 45% strength the wouldn't that effect the movement and fighting ability?

How about starting the proficiency even lower to start and to get it up the sov will have to attack won't he?

Post #: 25
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/14/2007 3:35:54 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

Another way I think that will in effect hold the frontier sov forces in place without freezing them would be to reduce the number of equipment. So if research tells us that the forces were at 45% strength the wouldn't that effect the movement and fighting ability?

It'll affect the fighting ability, and it will also make it easier to rail units away from the front.

The existing scenarios already understate the sheer bulk of the Red Army, in order to compensate for the fact that the Germans won't be able to destroy it all in six weeks.

quote:

How about starting the proficiency even lower to start and to get it up the sov will have to attack won't he?

I don't see why.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 3/14/2007 3:36:58 AM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Zort)
Post #: 26
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/14/2007 3:44:46 AM   
Zort

So if you reduce the rail cap for the sov then he has to make a choice of moving guys back or moving reinforcements up, right?

So if I like set the proficiency of the starting armies and first year non guards/shock units lower would you think that would help?

< Message edited by Zort -- 3/14/2007 3:47:09 AM >

Post #: 27
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/14/2007 3:11:48 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

So if I like set the proficiency of the starting armies and first year non guards/shock units lower would you think that would help?

That won't do anything to stop the Soviet player cutting and running.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Zort)
Post #: 28
RE: Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers - 3/14/2007 6:10:06 PM   
Curtis Lemay

One thing I did to address this in my Soviet Union 1941 scenario was make all Soviet units unsupplied on turn 1 - so they can't disband during the first week of the campaign. Makes all losses they suffer that week permanent, too.

Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Evil ed, fite and the Crash code brothers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI