Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon - 10/3/2007 8:13:54 PM   
StefanG

Need some help. I'm simulating a league with real-players, its 2001 Barry Bonds is 37 years old and its the year he hit 73 home runs (in real-life); however, he continues to stay "worn out" regardless of the amount of rest received. I assume the game engine has calculated that his career is essentially over; however, in real-life he obviously has several more good years left. Is there anyway for me to fix/resolve this via the database, xml, or any other method before I simulate the 2001 season without Bonds? The same thing happened to McGwire in 2000.

Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon - 10/3/2007 9:07:28 PM   
LetsPlay2

Wonder if Shaun will put a "enhancement" button in the 2008 edition.  It will probably be "clear" 

LP2

(in reply to StefanG)
Post #: 2
RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon - 10/4/2007 12:54:51 AM   
KG Erwin

Actually, I'd think with improved conditioning and "other factors" (ahem), modern-era players should be peaking later than they did 20 or 30 years ago. I remember reading in the manual that the average "peak age" in PS was 28. Of course, actual mileage may vary.

It's easy to make jokes about substance abuse (especially after 1970 or so -- wasn't there a Pirates pitcher that pitched a no-hitter while tripping on acid?).

However, the fact of the matter is that most professional athletes are better conditioned now, so the age factor shouldn't play as big of a role as it once did.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 10/4/2007 1:05:25 AM >

(in reply to LetsPlay2)
Post #: 3
RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon - 10/4/2007 4:42:14 AM   
CrashDavis

quote:

...so the age factor shouldn't play as big of a role as it once did.

I don't if I agree or not KG. If you mean, the age factor - and how it affects the 'peak age' of PS players - could stand to be tweaked for the modern-era of baseball, then I agree and would like to see the peak age of modern players be a bit older than 28. Maybe a peak of 32?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon - 10/4/2007 3:59:38 PM   
StefanG

Does anyone know if there is anyway to "tweak" it?

(in reply to CrashDavis)
Post #: 5
RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon - 10/4/2007 8:38:00 PM   
Bustoff

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin
It's easy to make jokes about substance abuse (especially after 1970 or so -- wasn't there a Pirates pitcher that pitched a no-hitter while tripping on acid?).

Dock Ellis claims to have done this on June 12, 1970. Details on this and other Dock Ellis weirdness can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_Ellis

Interestingly, his name expressed "roster style" is Ellis, D. Say it out loud once.

"I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation." -- Satchel Paige

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon - 10/5/2007 12:21:42 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bustoff

Interestingly, his name expressed "roster style" is Ellis, D. Say it out loud once.

(in reply to Bustoff)
Post #: 7
RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon - 10/5/2007 12:31:36 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrashDavis

Maybe a peak of 32?

Yes, say from 1985 or 1990 forward to now? Would be a nice tweak to add to PS 2008.

As a matter of fact, Shaun could alter the potential peak by two-year increments: 28-30-32.

This notion could spark some discussion.

(in reply to CrashDavis)
Post #: 8
RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon - 10/5/2007 3:00:38 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

I think that's a great idea-- give the user a drop-down menu with the various peak age options for them to select for their association. However, that would only work if you allow that option to be changed at a later date.

For example, if you start an association at a time when 28 would be a logical peak, then you set it that way. However, if you play it long enough that you come around to a more 'modern' peak range, you could then change it at that point to reflect the newer figures.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 9
RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon - 10/5/2007 2:14:14 PM   
puresimmer

I'll have one more look, but all analysis I have done still strongly supports players typically peak at 28 even in today's era. Bonds is most certainly an anomaly.

That said, I made some changes a few patches back to force a players true historical longevity to have a mjor influence on his retirement in PureSim. For outliers like Bonds, this leads to him playing a much longer career, so the original post in this thread should be handled now.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 10
RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon - 10/5/2007 3:05:04 PM   
StefanG

Bonds hasn't retired which is good and his stats are still what I'd expect them to be, the problem is his fatigue level.  It seems that once a player reaches the age of 36 or 37, they stay in a "worn out" state no matter how much rest they receive, so they get very little opportunity to be on the field regardless of how good he may still be.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 11
RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon - 10/5/2007 4:12:09 PM   
LetsPlay2

I wonder if changing his age would work ??

I did that with Lefty O'Doul. I retired him as a pitcher, then I imported him as a player in his first player year. He was 32 by then. When he started he was 22 in 1919. I changed his age to 22. he won, before I stopped, 3 batting titles and his potential stayed high.

< Message edited by LetsPlay2 -- 10/5/2007 4:17:16 PM >

LP2

(in reply to StefanG)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI