Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another patch in development?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> UFO: Extraterrestrials >> Another patch in development? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another patch in development? - 7/31/2007 6:28:07 PM   
milkweg

Is there going to be another patch or is this it?
Post #: 1
RE: Another patch in development? - 8/17/2007 12:43:44 AM   
Gray_Lensman

At the moment, from reading the current threads and requested additional features, and the fact that the last patch was 6/2/2007, I am not convinced enough to purchase this game. Hopefully, there will be some additional patch/updates to change my mind.

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 2
RE: Another patch in development? - 8/17/2007 5:36:15 AM   
Hanal

While I can understand someone being reluctant to purchase the game, I should point out that if you use Bmans UFO ease of use mod you will find that the game is well worth the price. It is a shame that it took a person's excellent mod to make a good game great, but never the less that's the way it is.  When I saw that he incorporated the original Aliens from XCom into his mod, I knew there would be no turning back.....

Just look at what he has done:   http://www.ufo-scene.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?1576.0

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 3
RE: Another patch in development? - 8/17/2007 9:02:31 PM   
rmielech

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gray_Lensman

At the moment, from reading the current threads and requested additional features, and the fact that the last patch was 6/2/2007, I am not convinced enough to purchase this game. Hopefully, there will be some additional patch/updates to change my mind.

WIth the previously mentioned mod installed, I don't know how much more you can ask from this type of game. There may be a few niggles left, but the overall experience is as good as it gets at the moment if you're a UFO fan. It gets a lot more right than it does wrong.

Post #: 4
RE: Another patch in development? - 8/22/2007 9:48:39 PM   
Gray_Lensman

The thing is at the moment I can run the orginal XCom (using MoSlo) under WinXP with a few minor quirks, (mostly with the original graphics) which makes the decision to hold off buying this game rather easy until I am reading more, shall we say positive comments concerning the vanilla game and upcoming patches. If I couldn't run the original XCom, your suggestions about the MODs might have persuaded me. I am keeping an eye on developments here, primarily because of the aforementioned graphics quirks with the original XCom in running under XP.

edit: The addition of proximity grenades in either the vanilla or the Mod mentioned above might just tilt me towards purchasing the game.

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 8/22/2007 10:09:04 PM >

(in reply to rmielech)
Post #: 5
RE: Another patch in development? - 8/29/2007 1:11:59 AM   
Gray_Lensman

Okay, due to BMan's superb Ease of Use MOD, I took the plunge and bought the game, however, I would still like to see proximity grenades added into the game, as they were one of my favorite weapons of choice in the original X-Com, also flares.

Post #: 6
RE: Another patch in development? - 8/30/2007 3:32:11 PM   
PDiFolco

Gray_lensman
You can run the old UFO games with Dosbox - it even allows to "upgrade" the graphics a little by getting better res and some algorithm to stretch the graphics.
As for the new UFO the devs seem to have left the boat quite quickly, after an half-done patch, luckily we had a couple great "modders" who in fact fixed many things, thanks to them it's playable. But the support was quite bad .

Post #: 7
RE: Another patch in development? - 8/30/2007 11:04:37 PM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

Gray_lensman
You can run the old UFO games with Dosbox - it even allows to "upgrade" the graphics a little by getting better res and some algorithm to stretch the graphics.
As for the new UFO the devs seem to have left the boat quite quickly, after an half-done patch, luckily we had a couple great "modders" who in fact fixed many things, thanks to them it's playable. But the support was quite bad .

I never was able to get Dosbox working properly, even after many hours of frustration, so as stated above, I was able to get X-Com to work with Mo'Slo, however I would not recommend Mo'Slo to anyone except as a last resort. I had properly downloaded and paid for it, but they lost track of my purchase, so when I tried to ask a few questions concerning the setup of Mo'Slo, they rather rudely accused me of not properly purchasing their product. Since X-Com was the only game I was using it with at the time, I have been patiently waiting for a "new" replacement X-Com to come along so I can rid my machine of the older X-Com and the necessity of keeping the accompanying small-time software "Mo'Slo"

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 8/30/2007 11:05:21 PM >

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 8
RE: Another patch in development? - 8/31/2007 6:45:30 PM   
PDiFolco

DosBox is rather complicated, but I never had any problem - I started using it with 0.61 release.
And if you use the D-Fend "front end" it's a breeze ! Maybe you should retry

Post #: 9
RE: Another patch in development? - 9/1/2007 4:14:51 AM   
milkweg

I wasn't asking about a patch for added features. I asked because I see some people who say they still get crashes with this game and that is why I asked. I've never had it crash on me yet but then I haven't played it much either. If some people are still getting crashes then why is there no support? Or are the issues strictly their hardware?

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 10
RE: Another patch in development? - 9/1/2007 11:33:07 AM   
rmielech

quote:

ORIGINAL: milkweg

I wasn't asking about a patch for added features. I asked because I see some people who say they still get crashes with this game and that is why I asked. I've never had it crash on me yet but then I haven't played it much either. If some people are still getting crashes then why is there no support? Or are the issues strictly their hardware?

No crashes for me after many hours of play.

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 11
RE: Another patch in development? - 9/1/2007 4:25:44 PM   
curtfred

Only one crash for me. My daughter and I have each finished the game twice so we have many hours of play.

(in reply to rmielech)
Post #: 12
RE: Another patch in development? - 9/2/2007 3:09:02 PM   
milkweg

OK, so it is fairly stable but even one game crash means it still needs fixing so I hope they plan to do so.

(in reply to curtfred)
Post #: 13
RE: Another patch in development? - 9/3/2007 2:15:30 AM   
Gray_Lensman

After installing the game and the first patch, I have been using BMan's MOD which now is up to v3.14 and it's pretty stable. If you're playing the game vanilla without the MOD, you are really only playing with a dumbed down half-game. Matter of fact BMan's MOD actually got a mention in PCGamer I believe, which usually refrains from commenting on MODS entirely. Only thing still missing is Proximity Grenades, but there is so much new stuff and options that this game is finally better than the original X-Com.

Oh, I forgot to mention, his MOD also (as an option) adds in the aliens from the original X-Com game.

see: http://www.ufo-scene.com/plugins/forum/forum.php

Enjoy.

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 14
RE: Another patch in development? - 9/4/2007 9:22:25 AM   
milkweg

Yea, I already installed that mod and the extra multimedia pack last night. Played it for a bit but not sure if I like the true night option as I can't see hardly anything at all. Might turn that option off.

Post #: 15
RE: Another patch in development? - 9/5/2007 2:58:17 AM   
Gray_Lensman

milkweg:

I didn't install the "True Night Executable" which is a separate download, because I don't think that executable is compatible with the Matrix version of the game. However, I am using the True Night Option in-game. By the way, according to the BMan MOD, you can turn MODS on/off during a game, though some require that you do so before "Loading" in a saved game. So by all means, experiment with turning it off and try it that way, you don't have to start over.

You've GOT to hold them back!

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 16
RE: Another patch in development? - 9/5/2007 3:50:09 AM   
milkweg

The night mod is part of the Bman ease of use mod 3.14. I only installed that and the Bman mulitmedia pack.

Post #: 17
RE: Another patch in development? - 9/5/2007 5:49:10 AM   
Dobins

I've read that if you install the official patch you cant install this mod. Something about them conflicting. Is this true?

Dobs

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 18
RE: Another patch in development? - 9/5/2007 7:01:50 PM   
Hanal

I have the patch and Bman's mod running without any problems... IIRC you should install the patch first, then follow with Bman's mod...

(in reply to Dobins)
Post #: 19
RE: Another patch in development? - 9/6/2007 1:06:37 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dobins

I've read that if you install the official patch you cant install this mod. Something about them conflicting. Is this true?

Dobs

That's incorrect, as BMan's MOD only works "after" you install the official patch. Matter of fact it was deliberately designed to work with the second patch.

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 9/6/2007 1:08:10 AM >

(in reply to Dobins)
Post #: 20
RE: Another patch in development? - 9/6/2007 2:43:03 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: milkweg

The night mod is part of the Bman ease of use mod 3.14. I only installed that and the Bman mulitmedia pack.

There is also an True Night MOD optimized executable, which I was referring to above.

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 21
RE: Another patch in development? - 9/10/2007 10:22:30 AM   
bman654

@Gray_Lensman: In theory the optimized exe works with any version of the game.  But obviously I could only test it in my installed version.  It is not a required download, but when it works, it makes that option run much better during combat.

Post #: 22
RE: Another patch in development? - 10/6/2007 4:11:24 PM   
milkweg

Do you think I can install official update2 over the top of your mod or will I need to do a fresh install of the game to apply update2?

(in reply to bman654)
Post #: 23
RE: Another patch in development? - 10/6/2007 5:17:44 PM   
Hard Sarge

I can't speak for BMan, but he has said he is working to be sure that the Mod will work with the patch

now not sure if that means we should wait for the next mod verison to come out before installing the patch, but that is the way I am thinking

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 24
RE: Another patch in development? - 10/8/2007 8:18:07 AM   
bman654

you can install the patch over my mod no problems.  However, you will not be able to load any of your savegames made with my mod until you then install v4.01 or later of my mod over the patched game.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 25
RE: Another patch in development? - 10/17/2007 7:15:10 PM   
milkweg

OK, thanks. Just downloaded patch2 and will get the latest version of your mod.

(in reply to bman654)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> UFO: Extraterrestrials >> Another patch in development? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI