Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Version 1 or 2?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Democracy >> Version 1 or 2? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Version 1 or 2? - 1/19/2008 2:00:19 AM   
LarryP

I have looked at all the screenshots here at Matrix and also downloaded and tried the demo (Dem-2). From what I have seen, this looks like Democracy-1. Is that true?

Post #: 1
RE: Version 1 or 2? - 1/19/2008 10:49:29 AM   
Adraeth

It is Democracy 1

www.histwar.fr/
---
Periods i like: age of muskets, napoleonics, modern combat.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 2
RE: Version 1 or 2? - 1/19/2008 5:27:19 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adraeth Montecuccoli

It is Democracy 1

Thank you sir! Now why would a developer choose to spruce up an older version and not the latest? I suppose there could be many reasons but none of any value come to my little mind right now.

(in reply to Adraeth)
Post #: 3
RE: Version 1 or 2? - 1/19/2008 5:55:47 PM   
Erik Rutins

Larry, you may want to read the other threads in this forum as well. Democracy 1 and 2 are different games, it's not as simple as "2 is better in every way than 1".

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 4
RE: Version 1 or 2? - 1/19/2008 6:03:23 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Larry, you may want to read the other threads in this forum as well. Democracy 1 and 2 are different games, it's not as simple as "2 is better in every way than 1".

So it doesn't follow the standard sequel format of other games then? Usually the latest is preferred, unless they really went sour on some features.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: Version 1 or 2? - 1/19/2008 6:15:03 PM   
Erik Rutins

Democracy 2 has some nice features that 1 doesn't have, but it also moved away from some things that I liked better in 1, like historical countries. I think the best thing to do is try the demos for both and see which you prefer.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 6
RE: Version 1 or 2? - 1/19/2008 8:05:16 PM   
LarryP

You're correct, Democracy2 has wacko countries. It has nice graphs and option menus galore, but fake countries. I have tried both demos now but could not get far into Democracy because of the video issues I told you about.

Post #: 7
RE: Version 1 or 2? - 1/19/2008 10:20:50 PM   
SaltySteed

I really liked ver 2 myself since it was NOT based on real countries. Wish you could do ver 2 as well since I can't buy from them.

Post #: 8
RE: Version 1 or 2? - 1/19/2008 10:25:32 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: SaltySteed

I really liked ver 2 myself since it was NOT based on real countries. Wish you could do ver 2 as well since I can't buy from them.

I don't understand why both versions don't have both options. Hypothetical and true to life countries?! I suppose these forums bring out good ideas, huh?

< Message edited by LarryP -- 1/19/2008 10:27:09 PM >

(in reply to SaltySteed)
Post #: 9
RE: Version 1 or 2? - 1/19/2008 10:51:46 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: SaltySteed

It may be possible in the future, that will probably depend on how version 1 does. We haven't discussed anything regarding version 2 yet.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to SaltySteed)
Post #: 10
RE: Version 1 or 2? - 1/20/2008 6:10:49 AM   
cdbeck

There are some modders that have worked to bring real life countries to Democracy 2. It isn't all that hard, you just need to know the sort of starting criteria for each country. However, I believe Democracy 1 also had some nice modelling of the houses of congress or parliament and the like.

The hypothetical countries are not too bad, they are readily comparable to real life countries. Still, I agree, Demo 2 would have benefitted from following the Demo 1 model. I wonder if Positech felt this would be too much "more of the same?"

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

Post #: 11
RE: Version 1 or 2? - 1/20/2008 11:20:55 AM   
Adraeth

I am trying Version 2 demo by now, some aspects are fun (like the Cabinet) but as Rutins i prefer to "work" in real countries, that's a different feeling. However i wonder if political simulations should become a stable game-project in the future, like an International Crisis game (based for istance on UN policies); a game on Elections but even on Government... and so on. The turn based system is wonderful for this kind of game (i remember Hidden Agenda or Yes! Prime Minister) and so the system of action-reaction can be implemented with many many different outcomes.

www.histwar.fr/
---
Periods i like: age of muskets, napoleonics, modern combat.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 12
RE: Version 1 or 2? - 1/20/2008 9:29:58 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

There are some modders that have worked to bring real life countries to Democracy 2. It isn't all that hard, you just need to know the sort of starting criteria for each country. However, I believe Democracy 1 also had some nice modelling of the houses of congress or parliament and the like.

The hypothetical countries are not too bad, they are readily comparable to real life countries. Still, I agree, Demo 2 would have benefitted from following the Demo 1 model. I wonder if Positech felt this would be too much "more of the same?"

SoM

I just read about how to mod the countries and it's real easy. Simple. So that's no longer a deterrent to making a purchase for me. Not that part anyways.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 13
RE: Version 1 or 2? - 1/22/2008 5:57:50 PM   
Wrathchild

I was trying to figure out the difference between 1 and 2 and it just gets more confusing, as they both sound interesting. Is there any where to see a list of what changed between 1 and 2, other than the country issue? I'd really rather by from Matrix but don't want to limit my choices.

J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Democracy >> Version 1 or 2? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI