Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

FREE download from Matrix

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> FREE download from Matrix Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FREE download from Matrix - 4/15/2008 8:28:31 PM   
Feinder

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/news.asp?nid=501

I just noticed this rolling across the top of the forum. A free download for their War Engine (I guess it's a generic wargame creation kit?).

Yeah, I know, there is no sentient life beyond War in the Pacific, but "free" usually gets my attention...

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Post #: 1
RE: FREE download from Matrix - 4/15/2008 10:17:40 PM   
USSAmerica

Anyone have any experience with this, or opinions?

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2
RE: FREE download from Matrix - 4/15/2008 10:22:30 PM   
goodboyladdie

I downloaded it in case it wasn't free tomorrow. I shall have a look next time I am turnless...

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 3
RE: FREE download from Matrix - 4/15/2008 11:30:52 PM   
Nemo121

It is well worth downloading. Boku are, IMO, highly under-rated developers and I played around with this when it was first out about half a decade ago. Even came up with a half-decent WW2 mod for it...

In a bit of related news I simply cannot recommend their Horses and Musket series highly enough. It has a simple control system and enough randomness that you have to plan ahead BUT ( and this is the key ) the one lesson it teaches is to keep your options open as long as possible and then to commit everything ruthlessly en masse. And it does this in a much starker, more obvious way than most other wargames on the market. If you are looking to really, really learn how to judge your committments and time them appropriately in an unforgiving environment ( something which I think most of us could do with ) then you really could do an awful lot worse than Horses and Muskets.

I really think it was a terribly overlooked game which can really help people identify and improve upon their flaws in judgement and timing. It really captures that whole OODA dynamic.

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 4
RE: FREE download from Matrix - 4/16/2008 3:22:41 AM   
GaryChildress

Thanks Feinder! I didn't see this. It looks sort of interesting on the face of it. I remember it originally coming out years ago but never purchased it when it did. I'll see what I missed out on.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> FREE download from Matrix Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI