Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Modern graphics?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> Modern graphics? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Modern graphics? - 12/6/2008 4:01:44 AM   
GoodGuy

I stopped playing CC somewhere after CC2 or CC3 i think and I never checked out any of the mods, so I don't know if modders did anything in the gfx department (can you mod gfx of let's say buildings, trees, roads, bridges?).

Whatever, I'd say a more modern look can be achieved even if being restricted to the use of 16-Bit gfx.

Check this out:

I added a few graphics (using PS - i didn't invest too much time though, it was a "quick shot" to display what's possible), an imaginary V2-launch site at the top, 2 new types of rooftops, some wood, mud and debris next to the house on the left, a green plant on the ridge in the middle (this is a seperate layer, it's a real picture (not drawn) with drop shadow effect).

The green plants at the right bottom are copies of the green plant, and - although being on the same layer (so the drop shadow applies to each instance) - they are stamps using the "sample stamp" feature. This allows for photorealistic 1:1 copies, unlike the brush method which wouldn't copy the actual pixel infos - saved brushes just use the shape of the original. The sample stamp might be like the tube-feature in PSP, someone asked about that in another thread.

I also added debris/obstacles at the end of the street on the right side. This could simulate a part where the road turns into a track consisting of rough terrain. The image is derived from a large image showing a dry riverbed.

It's really easy to enhance CCWaR's graphics, I just don't know (yet) how objects like trees or plants are then put into the game.
Every layer here can be somewhat pixelated, so that it blends with the rest of the world. A good addition would be to use a 3D renderer to create top views of buildings and streets. These parts could then be retouched with PS filters, to regain some of the typical "CC-look".

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 12/6/2008 4:42:29 AM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Post #: 1
RE: Modern graphics? - 12/6/2008 12:32:47 PM   
Perturabo

I've seen such things used on a few CCMT maps - it didn't look good.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> Modern graphics? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI