Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

British aircraft carriers delayed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> British aircraft carriers delayed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
British aircraft carriers delayed - 12/12/2008 6:34:05 AM   
PongoDeMer

The following link, leading to an article in today's Daily Telegraph, should be of considerable interest to all Harpoon enthusiasts and scenario designers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/3708825/Two-aircraft-carriers-delayed-for-two-years-to-rescue-MoD-from-budget-shortfall.html

Currently the R.N. is down to (I believe) 22 frigates and destroyers, a couple of through deck (almost) aircraft carriers and 8 attack submarines. What those numbers will be when/if the two new carriers eventually come into commission is anybody's guess

Pongo
Post #: 1
RE: British aircraft carriers delayed - 12/12/2008 2:55:37 PM   
Shark7

A definate change from pre-WWII when the Royal Navy was one of the largest navies in the world.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to PongoDeMer)
Post #: 2
RE: British aircraft carriers delayed - 12/12/2008 8:52:07 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: PongoDeMer

Currently the R.N. is down to (I believe) 22 frigates and destroyers, a couple of through deck (almost) aircraft carriers and 8 attack submarines. What those numbers will be when/if the two new carriers eventually come into commission is anybody's guess

Indeed, although the numbers can't sink any lower while remaining a viable force. That's about enough to protect one carrier, allowing for refits and other essential tasks.

In all honesty, though, I do have to ask what a larger Navy would actually be used for. After Korea the RN's principle concern became anti-Soviet operations; particularly ASW in the GUIK gap. Even with a more aggressive 'Putinesque' Russia, that threat no longer exists and in all probability never will. The carriers were an essential buy (and there should have been three, not two) as in the short/medium term the obvious requirement is fast force projection with a punch globally that at present we just don't have. Delaying the carriers won't hurt much, partly because we already know the RN JSF won't be ready in time anyway, but mostly because a couple of years beforehand might provide time to think over and solve problems that would probably have resulted in several years delay and a huge overspend, as with the Astute class boats.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 12/12/2008 8:53:49 PM >

(in reply to PongoDeMer)
Post #: 3
RE: British aircraft carriers delayed - 12/12/2008 9:04:46 PM   
PongoDeMer

Pre WW2 the Royal Navy WAS the largest navy in the world. This only changed during WW2 when it was overtaken in size by the United States Navy

Just for the record...

Pongo

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: British aircraft carriers delayed - 12/12/2008 10:08:18 PM   
fvianello

quote:

In all honesty, though, I do have to ask what a larger Navy would actually be used for.

That's probably what most of Britain was thinking until April 2, 1982.

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to PongoDeMer)
Post #: 5
RE: British aircraft carriers delayed - 12/13/2008 3:22:46 AM   
CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: HanBarca
That's probably what most of Britain was thinking until April 2, 1982.

Zing!

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 6
RE: British aircraft carriers delayed - 12/13/2008 10:03:22 AM   
PongoDeMer

And now H.M.S. Northampton has been withdrawn from the Falklands, to be replaced by some non-warship.

Pongo

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> British aircraft carriers delayed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI