Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Uncommon Valor Manual

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Uncommon Valor Manual Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Uncommon Valor Manual - 5/16/2002 5:02:28 AM   
Gary Olsen

Since the game has shipped any chance of posting the PDF manual on line for us poor souls who are waiting for are shipment to arrive?

Might save some time answering questions that are in the manual :) .

Gary
Post #: 1
- 5/16/2002 5:21:40 AM   
MalleusDei

Good point. I don't see how this should be a problem, and it will probably increase sales.

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 2
- 5/16/2002 5:33:30 AM   
ratster

They said a while back they wouldn't post it because they didn't want to pay for the added bandwidth consumption the downloading of said manual would create.

" If it be now, tis not to come: if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all"

Clan [GOAT]

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 3
- 5/16/2002 5:52:22 AM   
YZ426f

Well that is too bad. It might have convinced a guy like me who is on the fence to purchase the game. Maybe they could hold off on one of their free download games to put it up if it's a bandwidth thing. After all there isn't a demo out to try.

Any official word on the matter?

Yamadog

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 4
- 5/16/2002 10:06:01 AM   
Paul Vebber

We are not officially posting any of the game components.

What you folks do via private email is up to you.

But if something in the manual doesn't make sense to you because you don't have the game, we will not be handling such questions as part of our support to folks who buy the game.

We appreciate word of mouth recommendations and short of cracking and copying the game, what you do to help a friend decide to buy the game or not is up to you. But we don't officially sanction or support anythingbut purchases of the complete game.

Things are complicated enough as it is...

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 5
- 5/16/2002 10:35:56 AM   
Reiryc

[QUOTE]Originally posted by YZ426f
[B]Well that is too bad. It might have convinced a guy like me who is on the fence to purchase the game. Maybe they could hold off on one of their free download games to put it up if it's a bandwidth thing. After all there isn't a demo out to try.

Any official word on the matter?

Yamadog [/B][/QUOTE]

Just curious...what exactly are you sitting on the fence for? What about the game and the aar's doesn't seem to 'do it' for you?

Maybe by asking a direct question about what it is that you need answered to actually go out and buy the game, you would not feel the need to be on the fence anymore.

Reiryc

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 6
- 5/16/2002 10:42:09 AM   
MalleusDei

My copy is due here on May 22nd. In the meantime, if the UV manual appeared in my email box by some strange coincidence I would consider it an act of great mercy. I'm at [email]malleus@bellsouth.net[/email]

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 7
- 5/16/2002 10:45:53 AM   
Preacher

Ditto at [email]regray8@msn.com[/email]

Preacher

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 8
- 5/16/2002 10:49:48 AM   
Berkut

Hehe. Ditto.

[email]jheidman@rochester.rr.com[/email]

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 9
- 5/16/2002 10:56:55 AM   
ratster

Hey, yeah, sure, that would be great.

[email]sandman283@comcast.net[/email]

Might be to large for email though, a lot of ISPs put limits on email size, [B]NOT[/B] mine though. :)

" If it be now, tis not to come: if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all"

Clan [GOAT]

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 10
- 5/16/2002 11:05:04 AM   
cpt_Venomous

Do to mistake (my fault) my order been postponed, so untill paypal approves, for certain it be monday when game gets shipped, was among the first to pre-order (got me raging)
so count me too
[email]rusvenomous@icqmail.com[/email]

Thank You!

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 11
- 5/16/2002 11:07:51 AM   
Berkut

I have broadband and no download limit. If someone sends it to me, I would be happy to forward it to others.

Berkut

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 12
- 5/16/2002 11:54:22 AM   
Catgh_MatrixForum

Put me on the list of waiting for shipping, but would love to see the manual before the game arrives next week.

[EMAIL]rmeier@lpea.com[/EMAIL]

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 13
- 5/16/2002 12:17:52 PM   
Jagdwyrm

I'd appreciate it as well and would be happy to forward it to others...broadband here. [email]mdd00@lvcm.com[/email] zip it if you like

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 14
- 5/16/2002 2:45:13 PM   
matt.buttsworth

Me too. [email]matt.buttsworth@freesurf.ch[/email]

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 15
- 5/16/2002 4:36:04 PM   
Achim

[email]silverea@gmx.de[/email]

(germany :) )

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 16
- 5/16/2002 4:43:35 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

RPT from 1st impressions-thread, just in case: [EMAIL]Taffy-03@gmx.net[/EMAIL]

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 17
- 5/16/2002 4:49:23 PM   
matt.buttsworth

ditto. [email]matt.buttsworth@freesurf.ch[/email]

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 18
- 5/16/2002 4:59:19 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

BTW, how large is the file? I don't mind download time, but I hate mailbox-overflow...

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 19
- 5/16/2002 5:01:36 PM   
kgsan

ditto for me. I placed my order on May 1 but it still hasn't shipped so I'd love to at least have the manual to pore over:

[email]kgsan@aol.com[/email]

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 20
- 5/16/2002 5:31:04 PM   
Marc von Martial

The manual is around 5mb.

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 21
- 5/16/2002 5:43:49 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
[B]The manual is around 5mb. [/B][/QUOTE]

Jeez!! Thanx for the quick response.

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 22
- 5/16/2002 6:05:16 PM   
osros

My copy gets here today so the Manual is no big deal for me. But I feel for those who have to wait thru the weekend.

Has the PDF been getting around yet?

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 23
yes please - 5/16/2002 6:08:53 PM   
johnmac

Well, I'd appreciate a copy too - I don't think Duchet computers
have received their copies yet, though I do like the plaintive message on their site - have you guys been persecuting them??

Mail is [email]john@infonomicon.com[/email]

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 24
- 5/16/2002 7:00:03 PM   
Henri

Here is my 2 cents' worth on this question. The last 2 games I bought (SPWaW and Starships Unlimited cost me almost as much as the game to print the manual on my color printer at home. If the manuals had been available on the Matrix web site, I would have downloaded them at work and printed them on my laser printer for 1/10 the price or less. Sure I could have mailed the manual to myself at work, but it may have exceeded the size limit there.

I don't see how having the manual online for download is going to make matrixgames lose sales, since I don't see why people who are not interested in the game would bother to read the manual (I wouldn't unless I'm intending to buy the game). And the same goes for people who might not buy the game but would be asking questions on the site. I would think that almost ANY kind of positive activity on forums about their games would make a company happy, since it generates interest for their games.

Perhaps a shortened manual (for example the first couple of chapters or something) cold be used as publicity.

Of course it's not for me to tell Matrixgames what to do, but...

BTW it would be a lot cheaper and convenient for someone here to put the manual on an ftp site for a short time, instead of mailing it to a lot of people, and would avoid the problem of limited mail size. To avoid overloading the site, the generous person would not give the site address publicly, but email the address to people who query here and who seem worthy of confidence (the site could be closed if abuse happens).

Anyway the demand will die down as soon as most buyers have received their copy.

henri

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 25
- 5/16/2002 7:06:12 PM   
Carentan

I have a site that allows unlimited d/l'ing and will post the manual to it this morning. If Matrix doesn't mind, I will post a link in this thread.

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 26
Me Too Please - 5/16/2002 7:43:15 PM   
MojoPhryman

I foolishly settled for ground shipping, as a cost saving measure. Man I wish I hadn't done that. I'm not sure that I can manage to wait until it arrives on Monday. So if some kind soul would like to send me the manual, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks!!!

[EMAIL=michael.modrow@dctaylorco.com]MojoPhryman[/EMAIL]

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 27
- 5/16/2002 8:05:51 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]If the manuals had been available on the Matrix web site, I would have downloaded them at work and printed them on my laser printer for 1/10 the price or less.[/QUOTE]

The manuals are on the CD in not compressed format. No need to make them available for download. That´s costs us extra bandwith, read money.

I think it´s not hard to understand that we make no stand alone parts of the game available for download.

Now the gamer Marc speaking:

Also, I can´t recall any gaming company that has there manuals available for download. you buy the game you get the manual. That´s really simple IMHO, and I´m speaking from the customer not developer point of view here. In my some 15 years of computer gaming now I wouldn´t have even thought about asking if I could have the manual in advance or just to have a look at it. So honestly guys I can´t really follow the constant bitching about this matter here.

Honestly, I think a few of the threads about emailing manuals around or making them available for download on sombodies FTP would have simply been deleted on other companies boards.
Anbody that made it to the last page of the manual should know what I´m talking about here.

Just my two cents.

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 28
- 5/16/2002 8:11:20 PM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]So honestly guys I can´t really follow the constant bitching about this matter here.[/QUOTE]

"You got a point there, Judge!!" :D :D :D :D :D

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 29
- 5/16/2002 9:18:59 PM   
Marc von Martial

Just for your information I post the last chapter of the UV package license agreement:

quote:

The enclosed software program and this manual are copyrighted. All rights are reserved. The original purchaser may print or have a print/copy shop make a printout and/or copy of the manual. Matrix Games grants the original purchaser of this software package the right to use one copy of the software program.
You may not rent or lease it, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, or modify the software in any way. All editors may be used to create scenarios that may be freely distributed. All scenario authors hold the ultimate rights to their designed scenarios and Matrix Games makes no claims thereof. You may not copy or distribute copies in any media form. Any persons doing so shall be guilty of copyright violation and subject to the appropiate civil or criminal action at the discretion of the copyright holder.

This of course applies also for the manual.

(in reply to Gary Olsen)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Uncommon Valor Manual Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI