Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do HQ work in AE?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How do HQ work in AE? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do HQ work in AE? - 6/22/2009 2:02:02 PM   
Chris21wen

Tried to search for this infor and found very little. Any info will be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/22/2009 5:09:09 PM   
Yamato hugger

Not much different than in WitP. For all intents and purposes you have 2 HQs: R and not R. There no real advantage (other than a slight one for air units replacements) for being in any given HQ as long as its a not-R HQ.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 2
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/22/2009 7:38:10 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Tried to search for this infor and found very little. Any info will be appreciated.

Well there are several dimensions of differentiation - like Land HQs, Air HQ and Naval HQs, each have different functions. Within the Land HQs, there are two levels - first level and higher level each adding combat bonuses when the conditions are met. This multi-level land HQ function is the same as in WITP. Some of the other features that are different are discussed in the manual.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 3
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/23/2009 8:07:09 AM   
Dili

So no Army Vs Corps level separation?

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 4
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/23/2009 2:04:51 PM   
jwilkerson

Well as I said there are two levels of HQs. But the terms "Army" and "Corps" are not relevant in all cases.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 5
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/23/2009 3:03:39 PM   
Dili

When you said two levels i tought they were the same Area Commands and Corps Commands like in Witp.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 6
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/23/2009 3:11:54 PM   
ny59giants

Are there any qualities that you would look for in the leader of a Command type HQ that would effect combat?? I was re-reading a thread from the "Must Read Thread" about HQs and it spoke of the leader effecting combat.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 7
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/23/2009 3:53:56 PM   
jwilkerson

For a land combat leader leading a land combat HQ, you want a good value in the land combat attribute.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 8
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/23/2009 3:55:30 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili
When you said two levels i tought they were the same Area Commands and Corps Commands like in Witp.

It is "like" WITP except the two levels are not really implemented in stock because all units are assigned to their parent HQs. In AE, we assign units to lower level HQs as well.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 9
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/23/2009 5:05:11 PM   
Dili

So in Witp the Corps HQ had really no function?

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 10
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/23/2009 5:15:44 PM   
Nikademus

They do. They can give a crucial boost to the modified AV as one of mine did in the Guad PBEM.

This is same as WitP standard though. Nothing new here.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 11
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/23/2009 5:22:36 PM   
Dili

Okay. Maybe the change is that an LCU could take influence from more than one Corps HQ if in Range and now being attached that ends.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 12
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/23/2009 5:31:50 PM   
Yamato hugger

Corps HQ only affects units in the hex its in (a range of 1 means the hex its in only, not adjacent hexes) and the way I understand it, yes putting multiple HQs in a hex will help because if you fail 1 check, there is another there to try. That is my understanding anyways.

WitP has always been counted 1 hex less than what is says. The "first" hex is the one its in, so a range "5" for example affects its hex and 4 more out from there.

< Message edited by Yamato hugger -- 6/23/2009 5:32:30 PM >

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 13
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/23/2009 5:42:07 PM   
John Lansford

Will you still be required to land the HQ unit with the invasion LCU's in order to get the benefits?  I always try to land HQ's after the initial wave goes in as IRL, but in WitP you didn't get the bonus that way.  Can the bonus apply even if the HQ unit stays in the ship?

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 14
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/23/2009 6:16:10 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

It is "like" WITP except the two levels are not really implemented in stock because all units are assigned to their parent HQs. In AE, we assign units to lower level HQs as well.

So basically you've changed it so that IJA 18th and 5th IDs will be assigned to 25th Army and 25th then assigned to Southern Area, basically creating a more realistic hierarchy? That may be better especially in organzing what units go to what local commands.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 15
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/23/2009 6:21:36 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

Okay. Maybe the change is that an LCU could take influence from more than one Corps HQ if in Range and now being attached that ends.

in stock, i found benefit from up to two corp (range 1) HQ's in the same hex. Don't believe this was changed in AE.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 16
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/23/2009 8:10:11 PM   
Dili

But Joe says LCU's are now assigned to low HQ's so i suppose another low HQ nearby will not affect. If not what was the propose of this?

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 17
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/23/2009 8:37:48 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

But Joe says LCU's are now assigned to low HQ's so i suppose another low HQ nearby will not affect. If not what was the propose of this?

"Lower HQ" = a smaller HQ thats part of a bigger HQ. The bigger HQ = an area or Theater HQ. It can also mean top HQ of a particular org. example - South Pacific example 2: Fifth AF.

Lower HQ example - your typical Corps HQ.

The explosion of lower HQ's (and some higher ones) are meant to enhance historical flavor but in terms of function, at this time, you still have two basic types of HQ. A lower HQ that is often a front line HQ with a range of 1 hex.....and a rear area/Theater command HQ with a larger hex range.

The game allows for both types of HQ to influence land combat if in range. This is SAIEW.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 18
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/24/2009 12:26:29 AM   
Dili

But the attachment prevents that another same level Corps to influence an LCU that is attached to another Corps even if in range?

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 19
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/24/2009 2:15:09 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

But the attachment prevents that another same level Corps to influence an LCU that is attached to another Corps even if in range?

At this time, HQ benefits are not dictated by who is attached to what HQ. Range dictates it. From what i've tested, you can benefit from having up to two HQ's in range of your LCU(s). As such there is no "prevention"

Bear in mind too, that each LCU will roll seperately for HQ benies....so not every LCU may benefit to the same degree as the other. As a "general" rule of thumb however, you will usually see benefits (to modified AV) from having up to two HQ's in range of your ground units.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 20
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/24/2009 2:35:30 AM   
helldiver

Nikademus.

Thanks for patiently stating and repeating all of this.... in AE much is SAIEW, but I never fully understood the function and combination of function of HQs in WITP until now, even after years of play... thanks again..

Regards,
Helldiver

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 21
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/24/2009 4:09:06 AM   
BigJ62

Both Witp and AE both regard HQ Radius as literal hex range meaning if radius says 1 hex it really means 1 hex distance.
There can be additional bonus for Corps HQs in same hex. The game will pick the first HQ that satisfies the range and HQ type requirement and if you fail any check then you do not get any bonuses so having a million HQs in range will not help you any more than having 1 very good corps and 1 very good command HQ and if lucky depending on randoms can boost av quite significantly for each unit checked.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

Corps HQ only affects units in the hex its in (a range of 1 means the hex its in only, not adjacent hexes) and the way I understand it, yes putting multiple HQs in a hex will help because if you fail 1 check, there is another there to try. That is my understanding anyways.

WitP has always been counted 1 hex less than what is says. The "first" hex is the one its in, so a range "5" for example affects its hex and 4 more out from there.

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 22
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/24/2009 6:23:07 AM   
byron13

You know, this is all probably answered in the manual. If Matrix were to post the rest of the manual . . . hey, now there's an idea! Might tide us over until you-know-when, which Terminus assures us will be during some summer.

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 23
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/24/2009 9:51:30 AM   
Dili

quote:

At this time, HQ benefits are not dictated by who is attached to what HQ. Range dictates it.

Okay that is what i wanted to know, the attachment to lower HQ is unfortunately apparently only cosmetic or are you preparing an eventual change in an upgrade? If the game time was weeks i could understand the former system, but having various Corps control an unit in one day of combat is a fakery of highest order.

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 24
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/24/2009 11:42:12 AM   
Andy Mac

Honest answer isa maybe everyone is concentrating on getting it out now as is rather than whats nextr this was on the list at various points but has been dropped several times so the honest answer is maybe

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 25
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/24/2009 1:13:58 PM   
Dili

Fine, i understand that are things that we can't reach.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 26
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/24/2009 1:30:01 PM   
John Lansford

Do you still have to off load an HQ in order for it to influence combat, or can it stay onboard a ship (and in the combat hex) and still help the LCU's in combat?

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 27
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/24/2009 2:05:00 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

Do you still have to off load an HQ in order for it to influence combat, or can it stay onboard a ship (and in the combat hex) and still help the LCU's in combat?

I'm not aware that this is any different either - in stock -the specially defined amphibious HQs can stay aboard the ships the others have to unload.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 28
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/24/2009 3:31:40 PM   
tondern

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigJ62

Both Witp and AE both regard HQ Radius as literal hex range meaning if radius says 1 hex it really means 1 hex distance.
There can be additional bonus for Corps HQs in same hex. The game will pick the first HQ that satisfies the range and HQ type requirement and if you fail any check then you do not get any bonuses so having a million HQs in range will not help you any more than having 1 very good corps and 1 very good command HQ and if lucky depending on randoms can boost av quite significantly for each unit checked.

Thanks BigJ for clearing this up. Not to be a bother, but a couple of other questions come up.

But what about the bonus from command HQ? In stock it maxes out at 2x9 or 18 hexes. Do command HQ's get a few more hexes given the change to 46 mile hexes?

Would a five hex range "Army" HQ, not in the combat hex, but in range, always supersede an assault HQ if the Army HQ was located first in the locations file?

And can I further assume that the first air HQ in range is the one that counts?

Thankee,
Johnny

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 29
RE: How do HQ work in AE? - 6/24/2009 3:55:54 PM   
BigJ62

It would be the closest one to the unit and in the case of 2 or more the first one found.
Range was never updated to account for 46 mile hexes being used maybe in a patch.

It specifically looks for type of HQ, in the more common corps and command, and less common it will use prim depending on what checks succeed or fail.

I’m only referring to land combat I don’t know how air team handles this probably similar.

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to tondern)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How do HQ work in AE? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI