Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Greetings!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Greetings! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Greetings! - 7/2/2002 9:41:24 PM   
Afrika Korps

Greetings fellow gamers!

The other day, I was sitting at my computer and lamenting the fact that I did not have a single good game to play...I remembered back to my days playing AH games with my father, when I was about 6 or 7 back in the early '70s--he beat the crap outta me for years until one glorious day in Stalingrad, about 20 years ago...hehehe! Anyway, I went searching the internet for a demo of something that was like those old AH games and stumbled across SP:WAW!

I cannot tell you how happy I was to find such a fine game, similar to AH:ASL and Panzer Leader, etc....added bonus was the "basic" game being FREE...all I have to say is BLESS THE WAR GODS for this game! I give gracious kudos to Matrix Games and all you fellows out there that contributed to such a wonderful endeavour!

I have played every spare moment for the last few days (not as much as that sounds like, as I don't have a huge amount of free time)! I needed a game that was not RTS (which I frankly find to be simple click-fests with the goal of getting to that last structure first so I can build "uber-tank-X" before the AI--blech!). I can play and go AFK for long periods or simply save it for a late night turn later. This game has it all in that regard--in a nutshell--IT ROCKS!

I am still learning, but my old ASL days are helping a lot...

QUESTION 1: How many of you play with C2 turned on? I find it quite difficult to master this aspect of the game, as my units keep getting mixed up in the fight...I find it hard to keep track of units in the same HQ structure, as the amber unit "+"'s are so small--is there another way to keep track of the units in the same command that I am missing somewhere (I know about the command screen, etc.)? Right now, I prefer to just keep that option turned off...

I have played the tutorials and pretty much beat them with either crushing victories or draws :p --although those Japanese were a real pain to root outta that island, my poor marines...hehe!

I found my first BIG scenario that I want to try last night--the "Blood and Honor" scenario that takes place in Kharkov...that looks MEGA fun, but it is HUGE...all those units....YIKES!
QUESTION 2: Is there some trick to keeping track of a huge group of units like that, or is it just slow going (looks like over 100 or so--add in off map arty and WOW!)? I suspect that this battle will keep me busy for months...lol! :D Any tips?

Also, once I feel a little more confident, I will try some PBEM rounds and get handed my @$$ by a couple of you, I am sure :D

Anyhow, I look forward to hanging out here and getting to know the game and my fellow gamers over the coming months!

=============
Victor Von Doom
Post #: 1
- 7/2/2002 9:57:07 PM   
chief

von Doom welcome to the forums, once you become an addicted and dedicated SPwaw fan we will get you on a 12 step program that will allow you family to see and speak to you again. While you are on SPwaw you will probably see Ghosts and Goblins (DTs)not to sweat the are real. Say good bye to your friends and family now, buy a Mega campaign, get your updates in order and by the way......NICE TO HAVE YOU WITH US:D :D :D ;) :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Afrika Korps)
Post #: 2
- 7/3/2002 1:01:55 AM   
Goblin

Von Doom! Welcome. chief said you would see Goblins!:eek: Not many of the gamers here use C&C, at least not in PBEM games. I personally don't like it.

Start with medium scenarios first. You will quickly wish you had more units! There is a unit roster (the clip-board button during play) that provides unit info. It will show you who has moved, been seen, out of contact, been shot at, destoyed, etc. Very useful to check if someone has movement left that you had overlooked. Plus, if you click on the unit, it will take you to it right away.

Glad to have you here.

Goblin- A Goblin echoes chief

Post #: 3
- 7/3/2002 2:59:45 AM   
Redleg

Welcome to the world of SPWAW.

C/C is so great, and so neglected. It is really a pity that more do not play this way because then I could design scenarios for this feature.

Keep at it and C/C will become clear. Definitely the way to go.

Post #: 4
Welcome - 7/3/2002 5:37:24 AM   
Capt. Pixel

Howdy, Von Doom.

I play with either C&C On or Off. But for the most part, I find that C&C On just adds a level of complexity that's one step beyond my personal preferences. I play the game for fun, and generally not terribly concerned with historical accuracy. So I like to be able to tell my units where to go without any more grief than I already have with them. :D

As far as manipulating huge forces, try to break them down into logical operating groups of a size you are comfortable handling. Then address the movement situation in each as an independent unit. Now you're running two or three little 'armies' on a large map. Basically similar to running two or three smaller games on smaller maps, simultaneously.

Here are some tricks that I learned recently that might help speed your play.

The Rally button on the command bar lights up when the selected unit is eligible to Rally. Otherwise it's dimmed.

Right click the Rally button to achieve the maximum rally. This saves you a lot of keyboard and left clicks. Major timesaver.

Cycling through your force using the 'P' or 'N' keys can let you see very quickly who's moved, shot, suppressed, has targets available, etc. Cycling also helps to insure that you didn't forget any of your units.

And, as Goblin mentioned, the Unit Status screen can be a major help in determining the overall status of your forces.

The Single Largest Timesaver that I know of, is to ask your questions here on the forums. You'll almost always get an answer within a day, and there's a subforum for nearly every taste. 'Tis a Smorgasboard, my friend. Enjoy! :cool:

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

Post #: 5
Welcome to the Show.... - 7/3/2002 7:40:43 AM   
Orzel Bialy

Von Doom....hhhmmmm, it seems the name is somewhat familiar???? :)
It's good to see another new face...I love that the community continues to grow.
I remember not even two months ago, when I first started visiting the site...there would be something like a six or seven registered users in the SPWAW forum tops...the rest were in under "guest".
I did that for a while myself...but then after a couple days decided to just register and join in...Goblin and the others probably regret that day!!! :p
Anyway, now there are many many more people registered...and the community is much richer because of it. There is plenty of good information and bonus scenarios floating about here...plus some real entertaining material to boot.
OK, so much for the long winded welcome....once again...welcome aboard!!

Post #: 6
Welcome - 7/3/2002 8:03:59 AM   
Gary Tatro

I have been playing for 8 months now. Can't seem to stop.

If you get a chance go read my After Action Report(AAR) in the Mega Campaign sub form. It is called Palatpov strikes.

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

Post #: 7
Re: Welcome - 7/4/2002 5:29:45 AM   
Afrika Korps

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gary Tatro
[B]I have been playing for 8 months now. Can't seem to stop.

If you get a chance go read my After Action Report(AAR) in the Mega Campaign sub form. It is called Palatpov strikes. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have only been playing a week and already get the feeling this is gonna be "THE" game for me.

I read your AAR "Palatpov...", a great read and the game pics really helped bring it alive.

Thanks, everyone, for the greeting!

============

Doom

Post #: 8
- 7/4/2002 5:41:43 AM   
Grenadier

Hi and welcome to our little band of misfits.
I did 2 versions of Blood & Honor. I recommend if playing the larger version to put the Das Reich KG under computer control and assign objectives top it. It already is waypointed to go towards the RR station so you can stay with that if you want.

The smaller version concentrates on KG Meyer and KG WiTT of Leibstandarte attacking into Red Square and should be simple enough to play without C &C or computer control. Good luck and have fun

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

Post #: 9
- 7/4/2002 7:51:06 AM   
Supervisor

Welcome aboard, I hope you psych bills are paid up, because in here you lose hours, days, months in game consumption and then your mind.:eek: You've been warned.

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Greetings! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI