Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DCG Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> DCG Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DCG Question - 12/29/2009 9:54:10 PM   
Menschenfresser

I started a DCG this past weekend as a Soviet RD facing AGS in 41.

Suicidal? Yes. But I thought it might be fun to tough it out over the years.

I'm only starting scenario 3 (and fared poorly in the first two) and I'm wondering, can you lose DCGs? In game two I had my entire force pretty much obliterated. But it all seems to be back in game three.

Also, as to support units. In the first two scens, my forces arrived piecemeal. My core force didn't show up until half way through each scenario. All the support units showed up first which are all, MGs, Mortar & AT guns. Second came all the HQ units. And finally my battalion. The first scenario was absolutely silly. It was a meeting engagement. The Germans had armor and I had three companies each of MGs, 82mm mortars and AT guns. And I was supposed to cross open ground to take VPs the Germans had reached first. My battalion showed up far to late to do anything but sit around.

My question is, is it normal for all the support to show up before the actual battalion? Thankfully, the third scenario has my entire force starting out on map.

Make wargames, not war.
Post #: 1
RE: DCG Question - 1/7/2010 3:00:53 PM   
simovitch

DCG's are not about winning or losing, really, because there are no victory conditions. There is a PDF document included with Patch 1.03 that describes the workings of the DCG. You will find it in the manuals folder called "Creating and Modifying a DCG".

Each of the DCG mission types will have different reinforcement arrays, and these too will be somewhat random. If your support units arrive first you will have to make do; remember that each turn is only a few minutes of time.

simovitch

(in reply to Menschenfresser)
Post #: 2
RE: DCG Question - 1/8/2010 2:41:14 PM   
Josh

I started recently a DCG too, playing German armor, and I've noticed the same thing. Your forces can arrive piecemeal. Therefore I no longer try to take *all* of the objectives, it all depends very much on the scenario and the forces you have available. Clearly it's not prudent to waste your forces running headlong against enemy fire, they'll lose morale and experience. So depending on the scenario I try to take all the objectives as fast as I can, or I sneak my way up to one or two objectives, try to take them and hold 'em, and call it a day. Not much use wasting your forces just to get some VP points.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 3
RE: DCG Question - 1/8/2010 4:57:55 PM   
Menschenfresser

Thanks for the info. I think I'll restart my campaign as I haven't progressed much, in light of Josh's comment about 'do what you can.' I kinda like that idea, but with the Soviets in '41 it's more like 'keep your head down and try not to lose everything.' When faced with annihilation, is there any consequence to just running all units from the map?

Make wargames, not war.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 4
RE: DCG Question - 1/8/2010 10:17:03 PM   
Josh

I don't know, still haven't read that PDF file in the manual folder. (typical me, first play an entire campaign, *then* read the manual, hehe). I did notice however that the AI focusses on the VP hexes, and only reacts to your forces if they become a "threat". Very important IMO are the Line Of Sights. Your Inf and AT guns can perfectly well be hidden in forests (until they move in sight of the enemy) or even plains. So I try to use them as scouts, and try to hide my more precious things like HQ and Artillery (that is way back to the rear area, and as close to the front as possible..sounds contradictionary, but that's the way I do it). So having said that, if the AI is quite powerful, stay out of sight, check his lanes of approach (what units go to which VP hexes) and try to make some kills. Light AT guns and Inf squads can do some serious damage when attacking from an ambush. I even use my trucks to lure in some Art shells... (place a truck on a hex visible to the enemy... next turn you move it one or two hexes... in comes the Art shells on the hex you were last turn )or move Inf squads in front of these powerful T-34 to make them use their counterfire points.

(in reply to Menschenfresser)
Post #: 5
RE: DCG Question - 1/16/2010 9:58:59 PM   
sabre1

What would really be nice, in my mind would be to play DCG's against a human player.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> DCG Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI