Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Research bases overpowered

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Research bases overpowered Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Research bases overpowered - 4/3/2010 3:30:05 AM   
Pulas

Hey!

It's not a bug, but rather a balance issue. I recently played a game in a standard galaxy, pretty much everything on default, normal research. Now at the start of the game i build a single max size station next to a black hole (since you can see those at start, i send my first constructor ship to the nearest BH no matter how far it is) and get more res points out of it than i can use by the end of the game.

In my last particular game i had 60% of the galaxy population, been playing the [dunno] race that has the technocracy + research bonus, and still i couldnt get enough pop to use up that single basic tech station's output. It's just a simple base with 100 res of each, next to the black hole (6x).

Are there any plans to balance this a bit?
Post #: 1
RE: Research bases overpowered - 4/3/2010 4:18:37 AM   
FerretStyle

You picked a very intelligent race with a huge research bonus. I think researching fast would be the idea, there...

(in reply to Pulas)
Post #: 2
RE: Research bases overpowered - 4/3/2010 8:37:33 AM   
Fishman

As far as I can tell, research point generation is just meant to be trivial. Besides, what would happen if it were only a tenth as powerful? You'd just build a few more. Those stations don't cost much. A custom designed research base is cheaper and generates more output than the default ones, and generates them for all categories rather than just one.

(in reply to FerretStyle)
Post #: 3
RE: Research bases overpowered - 4/3/2010 11:46:08 AM   
PDiFolco

I suppose tech labs should be much larger and expensive, it's not fun to haved max research with a single base for most of the game, then only have to build a couple more ! Research bases should be very expensive imho.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 4
RE: Research bases overpowered - 4/3/2010 11:51:39 AM   
BigWolfChris

Maybe not more expensive, but perhaps the components give less research so you need more for the same effect

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 5
RE: Research bases overpowered - 4/3/2010 1:06:44 PM   
PDiFolco

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigWolf

Maybe not more expensive, but perhaps the components give less research so you need more for the same effect

Yep that's another way to do it...Less for same price/size or more price/size

(in reply to BigWolfChris)
Post #: 6
RE: Research bases overpowered - 4/3/2010 3:56:09 PM   
BigWolfChris

Reason I say it that way, is because you'll still have the one base maxing everything out if it's more expensive, as you'll just learn to live with it But if you just lower the research, you'll need extra bases to get the same, which at the same time will be more expensive as 2 bases = more money than 1

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 7
RE: Research bases overpowered - 4/3/2010 11:39:44 PM   
HsojVvad

Well if you don't like it, don't build it next time. You don't have to do it. If you think it inbalances the game, don't use it. Noone to blame but yourself then.

(in reply to BigWolfChris)
Post #: 8
RE: Research bases overpowered - 4/6/2010 12:48:26 AM   
Interesting

I dont see it as a problem.

I think what has to change is the gap between "investment" per "result". As it is, all races end up getting almost the same research speed without having to spend a lot. To me, the right thing would be: "if one wants to really shine on the research department, it has to make sacrifices in other areas, specializing on research". And this would mean, building more bases and spending more on maintenance, so people would have to decide if they want more research or more military ships, for example.

As it is now, there isnt much of a "Decision", anyone can simply have 100% research cheap and easy. The problem here is not that its easy and cheap to me, the problem is that EVERYONE gets it, so in the end, the research aspect of the game is just a triviality, noone can really "lead" in research, or make an investment in research, neglecting other areas and then go for a technological win, like in GalCiv4.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 9
RE: Research bases overpowered - 4/6/2010 1:38:36 AM   
Fishman

It's still possible to achieve a tech lead, but I think this system makes it less painful to the AI. Research becomes more a byproduct of empire size than a system to be gamed on its own.

(in reply to Interesting)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Research bases overpowered Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI