Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Rylan Alliance

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> The Rylan Alliance Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Rylan Alliance - 4/6/2010 10:59:26 PM   
Grayth

The Rylan Alliance (heretofore referred to as “The Alliance”), a loose collective of human colonies founded in the Malerean system, has recently taken up exploration of the neighboring tiny galaxy in search of resources. In its quest for riches, power and babes (not necessarily in that order) The Alliance has built up a group of patrol ships to handle duties of protecting local merchant vessels as they ferry their goods to and from various mining bases in the local system. Several Exploration vessels were also sent out to bring back information on new solar systems.

Right away, the group ran into a group of villainous pirates who assaulted a mining station on one of my home planets moons. This turned out to be a bad idea as the pirates were set upon by a multitude of local frigates who blasted them into space debris rather quickly.

Taking this as a warning, I started to research more into energy and weapons. Apparently, the galaxy is going to be a hostile one. I built a couple of research bases around my home planet and put some defenses on them just in case.

A year or so into space exploration we happened upon some type of ruin which told us of some invading race that showed up about 10 years ago and is working in the background to make life miserable in the galaxy. This must be my lucky month as in very short order my exploration vessels (4 of them now) found not one but two alien spacecraft in working order. Instead of keeping these ships for use the alliance decided to bring them back to the starport and strip them down for parts and technology. This proved very beneficial as we gained bonuses in beam and engine technology. This should help my building frigate fleet.

Not long after that we ran into a race known as the Teekans. They had built a small republic and owned several small colonies nearby. One odd thing I noted as they introduced themselves is they mentioned they don’t like to take baths. Fortunately, we did not meet in person, but over communications channels. I feel like I need to take a bath now. But they were friendly. We exchanged some territory maps and got along smashingly.

We are now up to 4 colonies in 2 systems and expenses are starting to mount. I decided, much to the local populace’s chagrin, to increase taxes and raise funds for the alliance. After some fiddling with rates I found a happy medium where the people were happy with the tax rates, except for the home planet. Even to home planet was happy enough to keep paying the 25% tax rate levied on them.

In the next couple of months I encountered a couple more groups of Teekans. I’m not sure if they split off from the main race or what happened, but they were somewhat friendly. The original group decided a free trade agreement was a good idea and we quickly entered into this. After negotiating with all three groups of Teekans, I decided to see if they wanted to get rid of any of their colonies. They were surprisingly open to this for a few thousand credits each. Obviously, they didn’t like their colonies very much. This caused a dispute with one of the groups who were unhappy that we now had a disputed mining base. So, I bought it which made them happy.

So, the Rylan Alliance is now up to 7 colonies in 5 systems. Not at war with anyone, except for two local pirate bands. These pirate bands don’t much like me, but my frigate fleets seem to be taking care of them nicely.

(more to come…)

Grayth

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> The Rylan Alliance Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI