Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... benefits?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... benefits? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... benef... - 4/7/2010 1:31:51 AM   
namad

Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... benefits?

what do I gain by wasting time flying to a spaceport to scrap my ship? Do I recoup credits? if so how many? half? less?
Post #: 1
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 4/7/2010 1:51:22 AM   
HsojVvad

I don't see any benifits at scrapping at a space port. To me it's a waste of time, since I don't see any resources or money back from them. I could be wrong, and not looking in the proper place though.

(in reply to namad)
Post #: 2
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 4/7/2010 2:17:17 AM   
Cindar

Scrapping derelict ships that you find hanging around graveyards generally gives you a VERY nice research bonus.

(in reply to namad)
Post #: 3
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 4/7/2010 3:53:13 AM   
taltamir

AFAIK scrapping immediately simply destroys the ship... boom.

Scrapping at spaceport gives you a research bonus (random research point bonus) if the ship is a captured ship (derelict or from another empire)... regardless of what actual technologies it has... Early on it is NOT worth it because the bonus is too small and the ship too powerful... use it to dominate your enemies... then later you can scrap it.

As for scrapping your own ships at a spaceport... IIRC you get back some of the materials used to construct it.

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to Cindar)
Post #: 4
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/9/2010 3:57:23 AM   
Phez

Now that research is slower in 1.04 - all my tech has come from scrapping ships.
I went from Maxos Blasters to Maxos Blasters XL in a single destroyer.
I went from SY-100 to SY-300 in a second destroyer
I obtained Nuclear bombs, Velocity Shard, and the next Torp from a pirate destroyer (after killing their base)

The game ender was jumping past reactive armor (from standard) with one scrapped pirate ship.

All my deployed ships have Maxos Blasters ( 4 dmg ) and I'm not having any problems in combat.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 5
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/9/2010 4:33:52 AM   
VarekRaith

I think something's screwy with the tech gain from derelict ships. I went from beginning engine tech to the best in the game with one scrapped ship. Crazy, that was.

(in reply to Phez)
Post #: 6
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/9/2010 7:40:30 AM   
Canute0

Yep scraping a derelict ships can be very powerful , depend on the tech and size of the ship.
But it improve your Fleet too when you keep 1-2 Cruiser/Capitals for your own strategic (killing Pirate bases).

(in reply to VarekRaith)
Post #: 7
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/9/2010 4:49:38 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

AFAIK scrapping immediately simply destroys the ship... boom.

Scrapping at spaceport gives you a research bonus (random research point bonus) if the ship is a captured ship (derelict or from another empire)... regardless of what actual technologies it has... Early on it is NOT worth it because the bonus is too small and the ship too powerful... use it to dominate your enemies... then later you can scrap it.

As for scrapping your own ships at a spaceport... IIRC you get back some of the materials used to construct it.

Depends on what it is. The cruiser I captured that had nothing but the base lasers on it went straight to the scrapyard, and gave me an area weapon. The one I captured with the level 3 lasers and world devastator weapons became the flagship of my fleet until I can build something better myself.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 8
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/9/2010 5:50:44 PM   
Fishman

It's rather weird that you can get completely unrelated tech fields from scrapping something. Scrapping really should only give you tech advances in fields where the ship is actually more advanced than you. Scrapping a primitive derelict should be worthless.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 9
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/9/2010 6:11:51 PM   
Bartje

I completely agree there should be a little more logic to it. Surprises are nice, sure but too much is too much!

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 10
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/9/2010 7:03:56 PM   
Rustyallan

The big question is... is there a reason for me to retire a vessel that I built at a spaceport?  Or is it not worth the effort and you should just scrap immediately.

Ideally, you would get part of the cost back.  Materials I don't care about since I've never not had more than enough.
Why have the option otherwise?

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 11
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/9/2010 10:04:50 PM   
lostsm

when i inherited an insect AI empire after i won his last planet, every ship of his that I got gave me a huge tech boost when scrapped. and the AI was lower in tech than me. i'm used to tech boosts from derelicts, but this was really over the top.

seems like any race that is of a different family than yours is going to give you huge tech boosts from their ships. well worth the effort to take them out early, especially if you have a few big AI empires set up

(in reply to Rustyallan)
Post #: 12
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/11/2010 12:15:30 PM   
Kruos

EDIT: Off topic, I created another post :)

< Message edited by Kruos -- 5/11/2010 12:19:23 PM >

(in reply to lostsm)
Post #: 13
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/11/2010 5:39:35 PM   
Cindar

quote:

ORIGINAL: lostsm
when i inherited an insect AI empire after i won his last planet, every ship of his that I got gave me a huge tech boost when scrapped. and the AI was lower in tech than me. i'm used to tech boosts from derelicts, but this was really over the top.

Yeah, I've had this happen. It also occurs if pirates turn over their ships to you after you kill their base, which probably happens 20% of the time. Scrap their fleet and boom! You just received around 5-20 techs.

(in reply to lostsm)
Post #: 14
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/11/2010 9:09:11 PM   
taltamir

I would like to clarify that I was wrong about the magnitude of the bonus... I simply did not NOTICE it was giving me extra levels because it merely says "we have received a research bonus" regardless of whether or not it sparks a breakthrough, and it doesn't also pops up a "our engineers have made a breakthrough" notice... I think it was because one of the first times I retired at a spaceport I got both messages almost immediately one after another (due to sheer coincidence) and I assumed that both need to appear for it to indicate a new tech acquired (and on occasion I WOULD get both thanks to coincidence)

(in reply to Cindar)
Post #: 15
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/11/2010 10:57:47 PM   
lostsm

still wondering about the original question though, do you get anything back when scrapping your ships at a shipyard? or is that just wasting dockspace?

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 16
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/12/2010 12:02:30 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: lostsm

still wondering about the original question though, do you get anything back when scrapping your ships at a shipyard? or is that just wasting dockspace?

I haven't a clue... I guess you might be getting back some resources... a way to check would be start a new game, use the editor to give yourself all tech, design ships with uber tech, record the exact amounts of various materials it requires to construct (There is a readout for it), use the editor to create one, record the amounts of resources on your planet (and the resources your empire can produce), and scrap the ship.
If you notice dilithium crystals and other resources you didn't have appearing in your stock then you know its being recycled.

I would do it but I uninstalled all my games and I am trying to swear gaming off yet again (not gonna last probably :P... but I can't keep on ruining my GPA because I am addicted to video games)

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/12/2010 12:03:13 AM >

(in reply to lostsm)
Post #: 17
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/13/2010 5:52:05 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

I would do it but I uninstalled all my games and I am trying to swear gaming off yet again (not gonna last probably :P... but I can't keep on ruining my GPA because I am addicted to video games)

You musht find balunce, grass'upper....

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 18
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/14/2010 3:55:57 AM   
the1sean

yeah, i love gaming, but real life comes first. If you just make a new habit where you dont let yourself game unless you have completed your homework/to-do-list, you might find that it motivates you to get other things done quickly and effectively so that you have more time to game, lol.

About the tech thing, it would be nice if every time you scrapped a ship with components with higher tech than your current levels, then the game should give you a popup message saying "you gained 'X' research points in 'Y' tech from the advanced components being studied" or something along those lines. I wonder if the game is really just randomly giving tech boosts for scrapped non-advanced ships. It needs to be more transparent for the user.

< Message edited by the1sean -- 5/14/2010 3:58:03 AM >

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 19
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/14/2010 4:04:35 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: the1sean

yeah, i love gaming, but real life comes first. If you just make a new habit where you dont let yourself game unless you have completed your homework/to-do-list, you might find that it motivates you to get other things done quickly and effectively so that you have more time to game, lol.

I did, it worked for a little while, but I slid right back into full addiction mode and eventually playing games the night before the final instead of studying.

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 20
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/14/2010 4:07:23 AM   
Astorax

The1sean, yes, the game really is randomly giving (multiple) techs for every non-your ships. Crappy pirate ships with no advanced components? Tech advance or at the least points to a tech. Derelict spaceships? Probably a multiple bump for a single tech and, likely, it isn't even the tech that the ship has an advanced component of. If you get a ship from some enemy - same thing.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the components are advanced or not, you still get an advance. It does seem like if there are multiple advanced components on the ship, you more than likely will get a multiple advance on some single tech field.

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 21
RE: Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... b... - 5/14/2010 4:12:08 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Astorax

The1sean, yes, the game really is randomly giving (multiple) techs for every non-your ships. Crappy pirate ships with no advanced components? Tech advance or at the least points to a tech. Derelict spaceships? Probably a multiple bump for a single tech and, likely, it isn't even the tech that the ship has an advanced component of. If you get a ship from some enemy - same thing.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the components are advanced or not, you still get an advance. It does seem like if there are multiple advanced components on the ship, you more than likely will get a multiple advance on some single tech field.

Yea, it seems to count up the tech and then give advances...
I scrapped the world annihilator... all its tech was average (Except the super weapon)... and I was actually very low tech at the time I got it... it simply maxed out engines for me (giving me tech in that field that was better than what the world annihilator was equipped with)

(in reply to Astorax)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Scrapping at spaceports or at current location... benefits? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI