Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Player Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> The War Room >> New Player Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Player Question - 3/30/2009 9:16:43 PM   
rahamundo

Reading posts over at wargamer.com then reading some aar's in these forums moved me out of my comfort zone (I play more the Napoleon and Civil war Campaign series games by Matrix) and I bought this game. Like the guy who started the "Beginners Guide" thread in early March, I'm having a tough time getting the feel for what exactly you do to get things going. So I started as Spain then came up with a crazy idea to set the military, diplomatic and economic advisors on, all three of them, and just play out the sea and land battles myself using detailed combat....I figured that I could just watch each turn what the AI did with my economy, strategic military and diplomatic options and learn accordingly. My question is this....am I correct in how I read the manual, that in turning on those three advisor options the AI basically will run Spain itself, except for the sea and land battles that I can play through? Is this right or am I missing something here? Thanks all.....
Post #: 1
RE: New Player Question - 3/30/2009 10:03:00 PM   
Ugrok

I think you're right.

Im in the same boat, man ! I just started playing, i read the manual and watched the tutorials, and it's quite hard to do some good things in the game ! I play as Sweden in 1805, and im struggling against those danish peasants... Maybe attacking them in the first turn wasn't a good idea anyway... I will wait for experienced players to give advice on good opening moves !

Damn, forgot my question : how do i create corps? As sweden, i can recruit army containers ; but no corps ! Why?
Other question : why can i not put militias into my armies?

< Message edited by Ugrok -- 3/30/2009 10:08:14 PM >

(in reply to rahamundo)
Post #: 2
RE: New Player Question - 3/30/2009 10:28:47 PM   
Joram

Hi,
Glory is how you win the game, remember that first and foremost (except for Path of Napoleon which we won't get into yet).  In each scenario, unless you specify otherwise which you can do to suit your taste, you start at 0 and win at 1000.

The best way to get glory is to force another nation to surrender.  You also gain glory for owning target provinces (check under political goals), winning land and naval battles, and in advanced game, having high luxuries.  You lose glory by losing battles (or a war!), losing certain target provinces (again check political goals), declaring war without cassus belli and defaulting on treaties.  That covers most of it.

Keep those objectives in mind before all else.

The easiest thing to do I think is to establish your own sequence of play.  That is, a rote set of procedures you do every turn in the same order.  Once you get used to it, you will find you will start doing things 'out of order' more often as you optimize your sequence.  However, a few basic things are always useful to check.  Here's an example of mine (this isn't set in stone and indeed I may have altered this even between my own posts).

Events
I) Check event report (I click the option to have it come up automatically but otherwise just click the event button)
Diplomacy
I) Check diplomacy screen or relationship 'quick' bar (the little r at the right of the screen) to be sure I know who likes and dislikes me.  Sometimes you may miss a message that a war has lapsed or started.  At least I seem to so I make it a habit to check the diplo screen.
II) If desired, make treaties with other nations.
III) Move diplomats and set actions
Economy
I) Check draft rates and readiness levels
II) Move Merchants
III) Develop Provinces
IV) Buy units
Move/Supply
I) Move navies
II) Move armies (including generals)
III) Review and set depots - note this directly affects your economy too so pay attention!

End turn!

That's what I do in a nutshell.  I've left off some of the details (like deciding if you want to make a protectorate) because you don't have to do every option to win the game.  If you are looking for specific opening moves, that's much more difficult to talk about because there are so many different situations.  Spain for example is tough to dominate with in any scenario.  Good opening moves in 1805 are to try to consolidate your navy and start building up your forces to attack Portugal.  Once you have Portugal you have a choice to go for North Africa or Naples.  Both are much harder if you have lost the naval war with Britain (likely but not definitely).  The problem with Spain in 1805 is it's just hard to beat France to 1000 but after a few games, you may find yourself losing to France by 200 pts everytime.  Well then, just give them a 200 pt deficit (or you a 200 pt bonus) and it will make the game that much more exciting.  Or up the difficulty level if you find you win too easy.  Everyone is a bit different.

Hope that's somewhat useful.

PS Sweden is even tougher than spain in some ways.  It's easy to learn with, but hard to win with.  Attacking Danes can be somewhat risky but remember, you only need to conquer the capital.  The risk is that if you see a flag superimposed on the country when you declare war, it very likely will go to that country and you will find you gave your opponent a free country!   Anyway, after Denmark, try to get Mecklenburg and don't be afraid to pick on the Prussians but wait till they are occupied with someone else.  Remember, it's about getting glory first and you get the most glory by forcing nations to surrender.

(in reply to Ugrok)
Post #: 3
RE: New Player Question - 3/30/2009 11:03:10 PM   
henri51

I tried the same thing with France. It seems to work reasonably right, except that I am always short of money.

But when I set the military under the control of the AI, each turn it sent out the French fleets and after a few moves the French navy was no more.

If you are going to set economy, trade and soon to the AI and control only battles, I recommend that you play the game on an easier level, otherwise you won't know if you are being blasted because of your own incompetence of because of a poor AI...

And BTW, when I did the latter, I fairly quickly hit the bug that after a number of moves begins to remove 100-160 points of glory each turn for "violating" inexistant treaties.According to the bug forum, this is caused by removing glory from you instead of from the other players, and should be fixed in the next patch (it better, cause this is a game killer...).

Henri

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 4
RE: New Player Question - 3/30/2009 11:17:18 PM   
rahamundo

Thanks guys......so far as Spain I have had monthly clashes with Britain at sea, won some, lost some, but have had no land battles. Joram....I think it was your AAR that pushed me over the edge to get this game...you posted info on this game on wargamer.com as well I believe. I must confess, this one has gotten me intrigued and it's been fun figuring out the flow of things. One final question......(for now...)....is the American Civil War version of this game....Forge of Freedom....similar to COG in the way you can play less complicated economics, etc., with advisors, etc.? Thanks again.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 5
RE: New Player Question - 3/31/2009 12:38:03 PM   
Joram

Glad I could help rahamundo.  Then you'll probably see that the advice is very similar as I put over there.  Forge of Freedom is more tactical in scale since it only covers the eastern half of the US (kansas, texas are included!) but would feel similar to CoG in style of play.  There are important differences such as how you develop your provinces is much more detailed in FoF and you also control the type of weapons to equip your brigades.  I don't want to get into a long spiel about it here but I would suggest you go over to the FoF forum and check out a few of the older AARs.  It's not as active these days but I can attest that it is still supported.

(in reply to rahamundo)
Post #: 6
RE: New Player Question - 4/1/2009 10:02:19 PM   
Ugrok

If i understand well, when you conquer minor countries, they surrender to the superimposed flag?

How do sieges work, by the way? Do i just need to let my army in the "Fire at the wall" state, in an enemy province?

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 7
RE: New Player Question - 4/4/2009 5:43:52 PM   
Joram

No, that is just who they favor.  Whoever conquers the capital will own the minor regardless of flag.

To answer your second question, yes, generally.  There are modifiers based on size of besieging force and other things but in general, yes, just be in a province with the Fire at wall state (which is default, there are other states).

(in reply to Ugrok)
Post #: 8
RE: New Player Question - 8/1/2009 12:38:01 PM   
pvthudson01

I had no clue you could all those things on

Have you guys stuck with the game?

I was curious

Matrix Member since 2003!

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 9
RE: New Player Question - 7/21/2010 5:44:01 PM   
shanju2107

The best way to get glory is to force another nation to surrender.  that more i like it.........You also gain glory for owning target provinces (check under political goals), winning land and naval battles, and in advanced game, having high luxuries.  You lose glory by losing battles (or a war!), losing certain target provinces (again check political goals), declaring war without cassus belli and defaulting on treaties.  That covers most of it.

(in reply to pvthudson01)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> The War Room >> New Player Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI