Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Truk and Rabaul

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Storm over the Pacific >> Truk and Rabaul Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Truk and Rabaul - 8/24/2010 3:26:26 AM   
bo

Not a complaint but I am confused about Truk and Rabaul, first Truk was a major anchorage for the Japanese naval forces but you show it as a 1, can it be made larger so more ships can be stationed there? Rabaul was also a major naval base but you only allow a maxium 10 for supply could someone explain to me why this is?

Bo
Post #: 1
RE: Truk and Rabaul - 8/24/2010 5:09:25 AM   
Razz1

For supply.. each island needed support, hence convoys. Need to send convoys to increase supply.

For Port size I would have to check history.

Wake island is incorrect too... it should be a level one.

In the Rising Sun you have options to increase port sizes.

I still need to fix Wake in the Rising Sun... sure it was built larger and made into a small Naval station but in the next version of the Rising Sun it will be a level one or two with the option for a both players to upgrade the port for a cost in PP.

If I find that you correct concerning Truk I will add option to increase size in the Rising Sun.

It will be hard for me to find the size of the port. I do know that all the ports in Asia could barely support a heavy cruiser in WW2. It was a big headache for the Allies as it was very hard on logistical support and movement for BB's and CV's.

If you can post a link as to the size of the ships that could be stationed and repaired at Truk that may help in pushing for a correction in the next patch.

The problem with ports is size also determines what can be repaired.

I really don't think they used Midway to repair cruisers, like replacing main or secndary guns.

I believe there were a few island that were just used or converted into docking stations.

We can't simulate that in SOP, so Truk may be out of the question.

Do you really want the Japanese to deploy and repar BB's CV's and Cruisers at Truk?

It effects balance. Think about it and please teach me something if you can find documented referance online.

Lets wait and see what Anarz or Doom says.......

Edit: I have been think about doing something to force the Allies to attack Truk. probably needs 1 PP and 3 VP

< Message edited by Razz -- 8/24/2010 5:11:46 AM >

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 2
RE: Truk and Rabaul - 8/24/2010 5:29:32 AM   
jomni

Rabaul does not create supplies on their own.  No large towns, resources and factories are there.  So you need to ship supplies from a bigger base to Rabaul.

In WITP, I cannot repair BBs in Truk. I need to ship them back to the home islands.

< Message edited by jomni -- 8/24/2010 5:30:58 AM >

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 3
RE: Truk and Rabaul - 8/24/2010 7:50:16 AM   
Razz1

see that's what I thought. What about major repairs of Crusiers at Truk.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 4
RE: Truk and Rabaul - 8/24/2010 7:01:45 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Razz

For supply.. each island needed support, hence convoys. Need to send convoys to increase supply.

For Port size I would have to check history.

Wake island is incorrect too... it should be a level one.

In the Rising Sun you have options to increase port sizes.

I still need to fix Wake in the Rising Sun... sure it was built larger and made into a small Naval station but in the next version of the Rising Sun it will be a level one or two with the option for a both players to upgrade the port for a cost in PP.

If I find that you correct concerning Truk I will add option to increase size in the Rising Sun.

It will be hard for me to find the size of the port. I do know that all the ports in Asia could barely support a heavy cruiser in WW2. It was a big headache for the Allies as it was very hard on logistical support and movement for BB's and CV's.

If you can post a link as to the size of the ships that could be stationed and repaired at Truk that may help in pushing for a correction in the next patch.

The problem with ports is size also determines what can be repaired.

I really don't think they used Midway to repair cruisers, like replacing main or secndary guns.

I believe there were a few island that were just used or converted into docking stations.

We can't simulate that in SOP, so Truk may be out of the question.

Do you really want the Japanese to deploy and repar BB's CV's and Cruisers at Truk?

It effects balance. Think about it and please teach me something if you can find documented referance online.

Lets wait and see what Anarz or Doom says.......

Edit: I have been think about doing something to force the Allies to attack Truk. probably needs 1 PP and 3 VP

Hi Razz thanks for getting back to me, it was not a complaint just a question. A description of Truk was it had a huge anchorage available for the Japanes fleets, I do not think any major repairs were done there or at Rabaul such as removing gun turrets for repair, repairing torpedo damage etc, would need dry docks and they were in Japan. The reason I wanted a larger number for Truk was because I could put more fleets there but not for repair, I agree game balance would be effected if you did this. [repair at Truk] If you base your numbers for a port from 1 to 8 for supporting fleets and repairing them then I would leave it alone, as far as Wake goes the US seabees would have been lucky to build a small dock for fishing let alone a fleet anchorage there. As for Rabaul no matter how hard I try I can only get a 10 supply for this 6 port, if Wake can get any amount of supplies it wants why not Rabaul where it would be far more important to the Japanese than supplies at Wake island.

Bo

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 5
RE: Truk and Rabaul - 8/24/2010 7:06:22 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

Rabaul does not create supplies on their own.  No large towns, resources and factories are there.  So you need to ship supplies from a bigger base to Rabaul.

In WITP, I cannot repair BBs in Truk. I need to ship them back to the home islands.

Hi jomnin no argument on what you say, but I tried to ship supplies to Rabaul but the game mechanics only allow me to ship 10 supply points, do not understand why you brought up towns resources etc for supply, Rabaul had a lot more going for it in WW2 than Wake did and Wake can get all the supplies it wants.

Bo

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 6
RE: Truk and Rabaul - 8/24/2010 9:36:24 PM   
Tomokatu

Razz noted:
quote:

I do know that all the ports in Asia could barely support a heavy cruiser in WW2.

The nearest dock which could repair a cruiser was the Cockatoo Dock in Sydney.

The USS Chicago was in port for minor repairs and servicing at the time (and was the intended target) of the Japanese submarine attack. http://www.ww2australia.gov.au/underattack/sydharbour.html

Ports further North (Brisbane, Rockhampton, Darwin) didn't have sufficient docking ability to handle anything more than light (very light) boats. 

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 7
RE: Truk and Rabaul - 8/25/2010 7:39:36 AM   
17russia

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

Not a complaint but I am confused about Truk and Rabaul, first Truk was a major anchorage for the Japanese naval forces but you show it as a 1, can it be made larger so more ships can be stationed there? Rabaul was also a major naval base but you only allow a maxium 10 for supply could someone explain to me why this is?

Bo

During the war both bases were feared for their potential air power. Both bases were major staging areas as well but neither was equiped to repair major surface units. Ships were patched and sent to Japan for repairs. I do not believe ships even got refits at the bases above AAA and other minor tweks. The US struck both bases several times, if I remember correctly the Saratoga got a torp out of the deal and the Japanese were short a ton of planes and several 100 thousand tons of shipping. The bases possesed more fear factor than anything and were really just very functional staging grounds.

“I got a great deal on some French WW2 army surplus guns. Never used and only dropped once...”

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 8
RE: Truk and Rabaul - 8/25/2010 5:25:28 PM   
Razz1

Look at the supply level in the info box.

Max supply is set at 10 for Rabul.

The new version of Rising Sun will have option to increase Truk by 1 as the Japanese had a 2500 ton floating drydock.

(in reply to 17russia)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Storm over the Pacific >> Truk and Rabaul Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI