Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Watchword: Frustration

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Watchword: Frustration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Watchword: Frustration - 12/4/2000 8:30:00 AM   
Maelstrom

I've played 4(?) scenarios into the WF campaign and have come away with 1 marginal and 3 draws. Unlike the Utah campaign this is not because i'm being fought to a standstill this is because of some wonky scoring. I just finished the trainyard mission and come away totally disgusted when I receive a draw. I lose 53 men and a single tiger, the russians lose 453 men and every single bunker, pillbox, rifle squad, and tank they have. I even gunned down most of the crew, but I get some ridiculous endgame message saying its not good enough. I don't see how i could possibly have done it better as I moved in took the victory hexes very quick, and suffered light casualties. My first experiences with this campaign have all been the same, or nearly. I don't know why but I never had this problem with Utah. Having to replay missions you *know* were decisive victories is just not fun. In conclusion..the games themselves are very well laid out and challenging but the scoring is just killing the fun for me.

Post #: 1
- 12/4/2000 10:13:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Sorry to hear that, Maelstrom. Did you by chance check the type of victory hexes in each battle. In point of reference, did you notice that you had to not only take the objectives first which guaranteed them, but you had to also withdraw all of your units before the end of the game. Not doing so meant that their points by being on the map did not triple and go to your favor. In a scenario where you must exit, it is imperative to exit all the units or suffer point loss. The same is true with victory hexes that accumulate points per turn. You must secure and hold them as soon as you can in order to get points for your side. In terms of enemy units destroyed compared to your losses, you probably did get a great victory but not achieiving the victory conditions of a battle will rob you of that victory. I don't know that this is the problem. I am only guessing based on the type of scenario that you mentioned. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Maelstrom)
Post #: 2
- 12/4/2000 4:04:00 PM   
Reg

You gotta just love these new Victory Conditions that were introduced with Version 4. Gone are the days of battles being just one big slugfest with the winner being the last one standing (who ever heard of units fighting to the last man and tank).* Thank you Matrix Team for making such varied objectives possible and opening up limitless possibilies for historical and interesting situations. Also thank you Wild Bill for taking those tools and weaving them into the wonderful tapestries that are your scenarios and campaigns. Reg. * OK, OK, I'm sure it happened but not on a regular basis. Note your different attitude when you are playing a campaign and casualties carry over!!!!!!

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Maelstrom)
Post #: 3
- 12/4/2000 11:04:00 PM   
Fredde

Watchword Freedom is an excellent campaign, which contrary to many others, demand a little more from the player. I find this level of difficulty very good, and if it should be changed.. it's towards an even harder game The base attack is actually very much possible to get away from with a good score, but you need to move fast and also be mobile enough to withdraw all your own units. I got a marginal victory in my first try, went back after finishing the campaign to play it again and got a decisive.

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Maelstrom)
Post #: 4
- 12/5/2000 10:03:00 AM   
Nikademus

For what it's worth, my 2 cents so far on the scoring system I'm likin it. I've been catching up on my scenerio playing going down the list one by one (I used to be a straight campaign player and thus have missed out on alot of the variety that this awesome game offers!) so have spanned the world playing a myrid of different types of battles. Probably the best example i have of the new scoring system taking into account objectives vs the old style 'last man standing points fest' was the betio assault in the Pacific. A very hard fought battle....my infantry casualties were nearly equal to the Japanese and of course i exceeded them in APC's due to all the wrecked Alligators and matched em on tank losses But in the end it was a decisive victory because in the end i had captured and held every victory hex. MARRINNEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

(in reply to Maelstrom)
Post #: 5
- 12/5/2000 10:38:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Semper Fi! Nikcademus Colonel Shoup would be proud! A decisive in this show real Marine courage and fortitude. It is a HARD one! After you play it, you feel like you've had a little taste of what it must have been like...hell on a tiny speck in the ocean! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Maelstrom)
Post #: 6
- 12/6/2000 9:25:00 PM   
ARIS

My experience from the campaign so far (3rd scenario): It was a rough start indeed for my troops. I've lost some vehicles and men, but finally took all the objectives and destroyed all enemy,some 14000pts for me and 3000 for the Soviets. But the game said it was a draw, so I had to defend the area for the next scenario. That was easy, I was able to repair the few destroyed tanks of mine, and in 3 turns I won. The expected Sov reinforcements didn't even have time to show on map. Now I am at the 3rd scenario, I have to advance and cross the bridges. My advance so far is good, not many casualities. My panzer mine-clearing tanks helped a lot. I've learned a lesson from the 1st scenario,where most casualities were from mines. Motorcycles advance,mine clearing tanks follow. Slowly and steadily. But I think I should have more infantry on this one. Hmmm, I'll probably breakthrough from a small area, and drive all my troops to the objectives from there. I'll resume the scenario tonight. (The real-life troopers just wish they could say the same I guess). I'll keep radio silence till then.

Burn the beds, kill the bedbugs.

(in reply to Maelstrom)
Post #: 7
- 12/7/2000 1:44:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Sounds like you are doing it right, Aris. Good hunting!...WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Maelstrom)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Watchword: Frustration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI