Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Footstep sounds make my ears bleed!! (almost!)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Star Sentinel Tactics >> Tech Support >> Footstep sounds make my ears bleed!! (almost!) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Footstep sounds make my ears bleed!! (almost!) - 12/27/2010 4:14:21 AM   
bman654

I'm assuming it is not supposed to be this way, but on my computer the sound my soldiers make when they walk is literally painful to me.

I've gone through the game files and played all of the footstep sounds I could find and they all sound GREAT and totally unlike what I am getting in the game.

I've attached a recording of what I am hearing when my soldiers walk. The first set of steps is how my soldier sounds when walking during the tutorial.
The second set of steps is how they sound when walking on the gravel in the first mission. Is this the way it is supposed to sound??? Could you tell me the name of the footstep sound file that *should* be playing during the tutorial so I can play it in winamp to see if it plays OK there?

the music sounds OK. And things like shooting my gun and opening doors sound sorta like I would expect.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bman654 -- 12/27/2010 4:24:33 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Footstep sounds make my ears bleed!! (almost!) - 12/27/2010 8:23:24 PM   
PhilSST

It sounds as though your audio card doesn't like the 3D positional sound library I use. I'll see if I can offer an option to force 2D sound effects for hardware which doesn't correctly play positional 3D sounds.

(in reply to bman654)
Post #: 2
RE: Footstep sounds make my ears bleed!! (almost!) - 12/28/2010 3:40:57 AM   
bman654

Hmm.

I have a Soundblaster Audigy, which your game detects as SB Live 24-bit. Most games usually are able to play 3d positional sounds but I do not know what libraries they might be using. I've tried reducing my sound hardware accelration one notch, deleting the Game.ini file and relaunching with no improvements.

If you can add such an option and want me to beta test it to see if it works just let me know!

I'll try a few more experiments and see if anything works in the meantime.

(in reply to PhilSST)
Post #: 3
RE: Footstep sounds make my ears bleed!! (almost!) - 12/28/2010 3:53:51 AM   
bman654

Well...I've tried every setting on the "Hardware Acceleration" slider for Sound in DXDIAG. Even in "emulated" mode, the same thing occurs. I've deleted the Game.ini file in between each test. Even emulated, the Game.ini file has "3DSoundSupported=1". I would have thought it would say 0 in this case.

FYI, I've tried setting it to 0, then running the game, but the game crashes whenever I select a soldier so I guess that does not work ;)

Here's some sound device info from the Game.ini file in case it helps you. Does it matter that "SoundDriverAvailable=0"?
MinSoundBufferSize=50
NumberOfAvailableDisplayModes=36
NumberOfAvailableSoundDrivers=2
PSVersion=3.00000000
PixelShadersSupported=1
PreferredSoundDevice=-1
Reflection=1
Scanned=1
SoundDevice0Description=SB Live! 24-bit
SoundDevice0Device=1
SoundDevice0Filename=P17.sys
SoundDriverAvailable=0
SoundLatency=11

Thanks

(in reply to bman654)
Post #: 4
RE: Footstep sounds make my ears bleed!! (almost!) - 3/5/2011 7:09:14 PM   
bman654

Thanks for the option to force 2D sound. Unfortunately it did not do anything to fix the sounds. I guess I'll just wait and try it again whenever I build a new computer.

(in reply to bman654)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Star Sentinel Tactics >> Tech Support >> Footstep sounds make my ears bleed!! (almost!) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI