Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thoughts on expanding oil centers?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Thoughts on expanding oil centers? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thoughts on expanding oil centers? - 2/11/2011 7:12:58 AM   
Hanzberger

Plz write your thoughts below, thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? - 2/11/2011 7:26:52 AM   
Puhis

You can't expand oil centers, just repair them. And if you're Japanese player, you must repair every oil center.

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 2
RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? - 2/11/2011 12:26:55 PM   
Hanzberger

got it, but aren't they halved? I thought I could get the half back at least or is that part of the repair?

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 3
RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? - 2/11/2011 12:56:42 PM   
Puhis

When the game starts some oil centers are "damaged", for example Miri is half damaged (150:150). So you can repair it to full 300, but you can't expand it.

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 4
RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? - 2/11/2011 4:06:18 PM   
Chickenboy

Puhis is right about oil centers on all counts. As regards refineries, there's more debate about the value of repairing refineries, particularly those in the DEI and / or Burma, versus just transporting oil to the HIs.

My preference is to ship oil back to the HIs, as there is plenty of underutilized refinery capacity there. Others have a different strategy.

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 5
RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? - 2/11/2011 9:43:52 PM   
CV2

I rarely if ever repair anything and cant say Ive even come close to running out of fuel. Makes me wonder what you all are doing that Im not.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? - 2/12/2011 2:02:39 AM   
Hanzberger

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV2

I rarely if ever repair anything and cant say Ive even come close to running out of fuel. Makes me wonder what you all are doing that Im not.

I dunno, I haven't gotten that far on the IJF side, but I do know that I got almost every piece of equipment running.

(in reply to CV2)
Post #: 7
RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? - 2/12/2011 3:25:01 AM   
CV2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV2

I dunno, I haven't gotten that far on the IJF side, but I do know that I got almost every piece of equipment running.

Well there's your problem then. I only move things when I have to. Keeping the allied player guessing as to where your carriers and battle wagons are is often more effective than showing them. Not to mention the fuel savings

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 8
RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? - 2/12/2011 4:02:02 PM   
Hanzberger

I've just started a new game so right now it seems I have to be moving everything. Also this is my first strong attempt at playing the IJF side of things, so maybe I should re consider not moving stuff as much, that is a great point you made.
With the allies it was never a problem, although I haven't really played that much on the allied side of things in AE only in WiTP vanilla.

(in reply to CV2)
Post #: 9
RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? - 2/14/2011 12:50:09 AM   
erstad

Something that took me a while to get the hang of is minimizing fuel use as Japan. Things like:
- If you send out a troop or supply convoy from Japan, it returns with fuel (or maybe resources)
- Avoid fueling ships in the HI, try to fuel them in the DEI. Especially your tanker TFs as they are going back to locations with fuel. If your TFs are going south/south-east, think about whether you want them to return to HI or dog-leg to Balikpapan or whatever.
- If you can't fuel in the DEI, try to fuel as close as possible; for example (only examples, there's many possible options) you might put fuel in Takao, Manila, and Sorong for TFs operating north and east of those bases.

All of these sound obvious and easy, but I found it took a while before they became second nature. I probably burned a lot of extra fuel before developing good habits.

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 10
RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? - 2/14/2011 6:20:33 AM   
Puhis

Also, don't expand ports you don't need. Every port point is requesting 1000 fuel points (actually 3x that). So if those bases don't have any Heavy industry, all the fuel sitting there is wasted. That can be problem espesially in China/Manchuria, when all the fuel is going to costal bases and inland industy centers are lacking fuel...

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 11
RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? - 2/14/2011 3:09:42 PM   
Hanzberger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

Also, don't expand ports you don't need. Every port point is requesting 1000 fuel points (actually 3x that). So if those bases don't have any Heavy industry, all the fuel sitting there is wasted. That can be problem espesially in China/Manchuria, when all the fuel is going to costal bases and inland industy centers are lacking fuel...

I didn't know you used fuel to expand ports, has it always been that way?

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 12
RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? - 2/14/2011 5:46:59 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Fuel is not consumed to build ports (only supply). However, the larger the port the more fuel is requested by the supply routine. If the port is not in an HI site it just sits there.

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 13
RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? - 2/14/2011 5:50:29 PM   
Puhis

No, expanding ports don't use fuel. But ports do request (stockpile) fuel. Big ports stockpile more fuel, and if there's no heavy industy or ships, that fuel is basicly wasted. So expanding ports might suck your fuel to wrong places.

Just my minor observation.

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 14
RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? - 2/15/2011 6:57:55 AM   
Hanzberger

Ok thanks for the tip

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Thoughts on expanding oil centers? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI