Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI - 3/6/2011 12:33:50 AM   
pat.casey

I'm one of those folks frustrated with the 1941 campaign, so I thought I'd take a whack at the 1942 start vs the AI and I have to say I've been having a blast.

Consider that starting in 1942 gives you:

1) No insane German CVs ... finess is required
2) No upcoming uber blizzard
3) A really interesting, tangled start position with lots of opportunities for both sides
4) A "winnable" scenario for the Axis (vs '43, '44, '45 where its just a question of grinding out the clock)

I suspect it may play out differently against a human who might do things like withdraw from some of the silly salients in game and flood the board with forts, but against the AI who likes to stay put on his lines its a really interesting start.
Post #: 1
RE: 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI - 3/6/2011 1:04:11 AM   
CapAndGown

the "pride cometh before a fall blau" AAR is playing out this scenario in a HvH match. An interesting situation.

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 2
RE: 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI - 3/6/2011 1:21:47 AM   
Jaypea

I edited the 1941 campaign (totally ahistorical) and made an organized soviet defense without blitz turn (start as soviets).   Happy to send to you its a lot of fun and I made it just for that.   The AI does a great job even without the blitz and against an organized defense.  Email me and would be happy to send.

Cheers
John

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 3
RE: 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI - 3/6/2011 7:30:11 AM   
karonagames

I have to say I am really enjoying the 1942 campaign as PBEM. The Axis really feels like running an offensive on a shoestring. I too believe that the Axis can get into a position to run out the clock

It's only a Game

(in reply to Jaypea)
Post #: 4
RE: 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI - 3/6/2011 6:44:14 PM   
gids

im doing atm 1942 against tarhunnas ,hes a good ,i always have to reshift armies behind the lines to fill up holes and keeps the initiative well,im trying to keep him pressed till mud which will give me valuable time

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 5
RE: 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI - 3/7/2011 11:45:10 AM   
Rafo35

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

I have to say I am really enjoying the 1942 campaign as PBEM. The Axis really feels like running an offensive on a shoestring. I too believe that the Axis can get into a position to run out the clock

Yes, the difference is huge between the German army of 41 and the one of 42. Also the starting position is an incredible mess and it looks like there's no easy solution for the "silly salients" in the north.

That's the first time in wargame I do see a reason for not retreating from the salients even if unable to take advantage of them. That's reaaly good, simulation wise.

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 6
RE: 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI - 3/16/2011 6:37:09 AM   
delatbabel

+1. Of all of the campaigns I've played so far (against the AI), 42 is easily my favourite.

--
Del

(in reply to Rafo35)
Post #: 7
RE: 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI - 3/16/2011 2:56:26 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: pat.casey

I'm one of those folks frustrated with the 1941 campaign, so I thought I'd take a whack at the 1942 start vs the AI and I have to say I've been having a blast.

Consider that starting in 1942 gives you:

1) No insane German CVs ... finess is required
2) No upcoming uber blizzard
3) A really interesting, tangled start position with lots of opportunities for both sides
4) A "winnable" scenario for the Axis (vs '43, '44, '45 where its just a question of grinding out the clock)

I suspect it may play out differently against a human who might do things like withdraw from some of the silly salients in game and flood the board with forts, but against the AI who likes to stay put on his lines its a really interesting start.

I too think the 1942 Campaign start is very enjoyable. I made a version where the Russians have not attacked at Kharkov yet (so its April 1942 and both sides have some offensive power).

Anway, I agree the 1942 campaign has a lot going for it for both sides.

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> 1942 Campaign is a Hoot against the AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI