Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shell weights, air bombardment

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Shell weights, air bombardment Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shell weights, air bombardment - 7/8/2011 11:26:21 PM   
ogar

Hi,

Two questions about the mechanics of air bombardment --
I was digging thru a toawlog on an airfield attack, and after all the furball, def. fire, attacker fire, etc. we get to the line :
1160 kg/min weight of long range fire ....
and then because the unit was on LL, it loops thru a 2nd pass at the bombing, and we get to
1080 kg/min weight of long range fire ...

So for how many minutes does that rate of bombing continue ?

I think the 1160 number is the amount remaining after reducing the original number of planes by losses and then by prof., readiness & supply.

But then where does the 1080 number come from ? (I know that further losses have reduced the 1160 down to 1080 but if the bombs have been released, then where does the 1080 come from ?)

I know I'm having trouble adjusting to the abstraction needed in the game, but I would like some help in understanding this piece of things.

Thanks.

Post #: 1
RE: Shell weights, air bombardment - 7/10/2011 3:17:11 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: ogar

Hi,

Two questions about the mechanics of air bombardment --
I was digging thru a toawlog on an airfield attack, and after all the furball, def. fire, attacker fire, etc. we get to the line :
1160 kg/min weight of long range fire ....
and then because the unit was on LL, it loops thru a 2nd pass at the bombing, and we get to
1080 kg/min weight of long range fire ...

So for how many minutes does that rate of bombing continue ?

I think the 1160 number is the amount remaining after reducing the original number of planes by losses and then by prof., readiness & supply.

But then where does the 1080 number come from ? (I know that further losses have reduced the 1160 down to 1080 but if the bombs have been released, then where does the 1080 come from ?)

I know I'm having trouble adjusting to the abstraction needed in the game, but I would like some help in understanding this piece of things.

Thanks.

Bob Cross had an article somewhere on the net about how he figured it out. There's a thread -

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1403648

kLiNk, Oberst

P.S. B*lls! It was about the ships... but I guess he got the answer for the A/B, too. Sorry mate!

< Message edited by Oberst_Klink -- 7/10/2011 3:21:40 AM >

(in reply to ogar)
Post #: 2
RE: Shell weights, air bombardment - 7/10/2011 7:06:18 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Multiple sorties, I would assume. Since they were on Limit Losses, this consumed two combat rounds, right? One sortie per round.

(in reply to ogar)
Post #: 3
RE: Shell weights, air bombardment - 7/10/2011 11:10:20 PM   
ogar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

Multiple sorties, I would assume. Since they were on Limit Losses, this consumed two combat rounds, right? One sortie per round.

Ah !
That possibility bubbled up after I posted. Multiple unit-sorties per mission assigned per round. Okay.

Semi-on-topic,

I know the shell weight comes that value for each aircraft in eqp file. Is the actual number in shell_w in the eqp file adjusted ? and if so, is there a formula or rough calc ?
Seeing 100 (presuming kg) for Spits or P40s or 109s, makes me think, that the value is sort of rounded down, perhaps adjusting for accuracy as well ?

Thanks.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 4
RE: Shell weights, air bombardment - 7/11/2011 3:52:00 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I know the shell weight comes that value for each aircraft in eqp file. Is the actual number in shell_w in the eqp file adjusted ? and if so, is there a formula or rough calc ?
Seeing 100 (presuming kg) for Spits or P40s or 109s, makes me think, that the value is sort of rounded down, perhaps adjusting for accuracy as well ?

For how the canned values were arrived at you'll have to ask Norm (good luck). They probably didn't get too much research. Of course, designers can put as much realism into their shell weight values as they wish via the BioEd or such. Shell weight would not be the place to adjust for accuracy, though.

(in reply to ogar)
Post #: 5
RE: Shell weights, air bombardment - 7/11/2011 5:01:16 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

[...]perhaps adjusting for accuracy as well ?

[...]Shell weight would not be the place to adjust for accuracy, though.

AP/AT ratings and maybe proficiency are such places.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 6
RE: Shell weights, air bombardment - 7/13/2011 6:17:34 PM   
ogar

Gentleman,

thanks for the responses. Guess for now, it's off to the testbase I wander.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Shell weights, air bombardment Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI