Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Research Ceiling

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Research Ceiling Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Research Ceiling - 11/11/2011 5:19:55 AM   
balto

Page 72 of the manual has a screen shot of the Research Limit. The screenshot says the Limit is 714K. Does that mean that 714K is the limit for each of the three individual research categories? Or does it mean the Limit is the total of all three.., thus the screenshot is at 494 (120+254+120) mean that they can Research another 206 in total?

The reason I ask is that there is no sum of the three columns (494), so I was thinking that it meant 714 for each of the three [total is 2,142 (714x3)].

Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Research Ceiling - 11/11/2011 1:56:16 PM   
Nedrear

The limit proves to all at once. Meaning a maximum of 720k is maximum of 720k WITHOUT bonuses.

Therefore if you got 420 140 280 in research - without bonuses - only 720k in a percentage will be used. As of now it would be 1/2 goes to 420, 1/6 goes to 140 and 2/6 goes to 280. Result: 360 in weapons, 120 in energy and 240 in high-tech. After that add the bonuses. Thats your reasearch!

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 2
RE: Research Ceiling - 11/12/2011 1:56:29 AM   
balto

Nedrear, THAT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I read it about 20 times and I could not figure out what it was saying.

I assume you read this somewhere else, right. There is no way you could have obtained that knowledge from the Manual or the Galactopedia because it is worded REALLY bad.

Thanks again.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 3
RE: Research Ceiling - 11/12/2011 3:22:31 AM   
Nedrear

I actually just observed my research and its boni... so in another words I comprehended the game. I did not steal this "solution".

First if you hit the top of the research list by exactly reaching it - 720k of 720k - your research 240/240/240 still got a higher output. The output is of course the lower text saying "actual" research. Following up on that the bonuses are applied AFTER the limit.

If you are now pushing the research limit, while having an unbalanced amount of research like above 420, 140 and 280 you will see they are 'nerfed' the percentage amount they got. That is all! See for yourself.

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 4
RE: Research Ceiling - 11/14/2011 2:02:49 AM   
Jeeves

In case none of you have noticed, your research maximum applies to the three areas total as described above. The maximum potential for a tremendous empire around game year eight is about 1000k. At 130 BILLION population, I am getting about 1100k research before bonuses. There are three important bonus possibilities :
1) Colonize the special ruins planets of Carida Armaments, Energy Engineering Facility, or the Techno Nexus for a 100% bonus, doubling your output.
2) Colonize independent populations of human, kiadian, quameno, or zenox for racial bonuses. Only the best bonus applies. The population % of your empire of the colony matters, as does the total population of the race.
3) Build a research facility at a research bonus location. I don't bother with anything less than 40% bonus. Only the best applies in each of the three areas.

For example your maximum is 600k, modified by 15% for some Quamenos yields 690k, your split is 3,3,4 by research locations.
Suppose you have a research station at a weapons of 40%, applied to 600*0.3*1.15*1.4 yields weapons 180*1.15*1.4 whatever that is
Suppose you have no research station on energy, but have colonized the Energy engineering facility ruins planet, then you get 600*0.3*1.15*2.0 which is much more...
If you have both a research ruins and a research station, BOTH bonuses apply.

It makes more sense to go for improving your empire's research rate with the three special ruins and high bonus location research labs rather than by doubling your population. The first 700k research potential is easily reached, and probably faster than you have research stations built, unless you locate the seven zone spaceport supply depots fast.

Defend with VERY good ships those bonus locations!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 5
RE: Research Ceiling - 11/14/2011 2:46:19 AM   
Nedrear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeeves

Defend with VERY good ships those bonus locations!

Especially if you play on slow research like some of us...

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 6
RE: Research Ceiling - 11/28/2011 10:47:54 PM   
Eystein_hansen

I can only imagine the epic fights over special research planets and resources in a multiplayer game if this game ever got mp.. Wow. 

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Research Ceiling Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI