Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Slow turn loading times still an issue?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Pride of Nations >> Slow turn loading times still an issue? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slow turn loading times still an issue? - 4/17/2013 3:48:28 PM   
Ranger33

I seem to recall that the excessive computing time between each turn was one of the major complaints with PoN. I'm slightly considering getting the game in the future (plate is pretty full at the moment)so I was just wondering:

1) Has it been improved any?
2) Could someone with the game on a mid-range system give some idea of just how long we are talking?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Slow turn loading times still an issue? - 4/17/2013 4:53:06 PM   
tocaff

I'm in the same boat as you and from what I've read and been told the time lag for the AI to do a turn is still an issue, unless you want to go to the bathroom or something.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 2
RE: Slow turn loading times still an issue? - 4/17/2013 7:27:00 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

I seem to recall that the excessive computing time between each turn was one of the major complaints with PoN. I'm slightly considering getting the game in the future (plate is pretty full at the moment)so I was just wondering:

1) Has it been improved any?
2) Could someone with the game on a mid-range system give some idea of just how long we are talking?

Thanks

its improved since release (& the demo) but it is still an issue.

I use a 3 year old laptop, not sure of the specs but it cost £1000 then and I reckon that from about 1850-1860 I was on 2-4 mins per turn (so no big deal), I'm now up the 1880s and I reckon 4-5 mins a turn. I just work around this - so I play a lot of PoN when I'm also doing something else ... working on another computer, domestic chores, cooking etc. All things where I can spend time, set up a turn and wander off while it does its thing. If you are at war, its helpful to observe the actual turn processing element as it will give you clues about enemy moves, otherwise, its a case of check the end game log, review things and do it again.

Its (in my uttterly non-technical opinion) unlikely to come down a huge amount as a quick check of the log files for each turn gives you some idea how much info the game processes. A simple eg is that Paradox's Victoria uses the fantasy concept of a world market (so everything for sale is there and the dispute is who buys it), in PoN every trade is 1:1 and each country estimates what it has for sale and what it wants to buy.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 3
RE: Slow turn loading times still an issue? - 4/18/2013 12:19:19 AM   
TheGrayMouser

Not terribly scientific but:

my PC: dual core 3.30 Ghz, 4 Gig Ram Windows 7, 32 bit

Grand Campaign turn 1 took aprox 40 seconds for the AI to process its turn
Obviously as the game progresses and if there are a lot of wars etc no doudt this will be longer
Not enough time to go to the bathroom at least early game :)

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4
RE: Slow turn loading times still an issue? - 4/18/2013 8:58:56 AM   
Pocus

There has been improvements, probably a 50% speed gain since 1.00. In the next PON patch, we are gaining again 10% roughly, from AI optimizations (unpublished patch for now). What takes the most time is AIs when at war. When juggernauts as the British Empire or late game Germany are calculating their move, it takes for this single faction 15 seconds. Top that with the rest of the processes (as Loki says, the market is not an abstracted world market e.g) and you can climb to 2 to 5 mn per turn, depending of your computer. We understand it is too much for some of you, but if you can cope with that, you'll see how detailed the simulation is.

AGEOD Team

(in reply to TheGrayMouser)
Post #: 5
RE: Slow turn loading times still an issue? - 4/19/2013 2:41:27 AM   
Ranger33

Thanks for the input! Like I mentioned, I have a lot of games lined up to learn as it is (including RUS and WiA). The more I see of PoN, the more I like it though.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 6
RE: Slow turn loading times still an issue? - 4/19/2013 3:07:14 PM   
ASHBERY76

In my view maybe some parts should be torn out and abstracted to make the game playable as 5 minute turns are just not acceptable to most working people.

Stop being stubborn.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 7
RE: Slow turn loading times still an issue? - 4/19/2013 3:54:13 PM   
Pocus

That's not as easy as you think. Some processes which are complex don't take that much time. What uses the most is AI, by far, and AI has already been stripped of some non essential stuff in PON, unless in specific cases for major nations only. Going further would dumb it down significantly. The problem, if this is one (and this might :) is that the engine has only two threads: one handles the map, the other handles the rest. If, with a magic wand, we could multi thread it extensively, with the AI done while you think with your slow biological brain then PON would be much more awesome, true.

AGEOD Team

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 8
RE: Slow turn loading times still an issue? - 8/13/2013 8:45:49 AM   
czert2

well, since today modern cpu - even while only 2 cores support 4 threads - how hard it will be to rewrite game engine to support 4 therads instead of 2 ? For native 4/6 core procesors i dont see issue here :)

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Pride of Nations >> Slow turn loading times still an issue? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI