Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Playing with the settings

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Playing with the settings Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Playing with the settings - 10/23/2013 3:09:38 PM   
loki100

This post/thread emerges from one of the regular realism vs game rule exploitation threads that emerge.

With SigUp, I agreed a couple of PBEMs to test out what happens if you seriously lower the logistics value. We picked 75% as that was sufficiently extreme that the differences wouldn't be lost in the noise and normal randomness. We tested this using the Road to Smolensk and the revised Battle of Moscow (from Lost Battles) scenario (far better than the original).

SigUp played the Germans both time, I took the Soviets.

In the Road to Smolensk I opted for an aggressive forward defense - the result was a series of small (army sized) encirclements and a lot of combat. The effect was a normal German offensive over the first two turns, and then it became one of stop-start (seemed to be one turn of waiting, two of attacks and so on).

In the Moscow scenario as to be expected my front line was pretty much destroyed. I rebuilt a last defense in front of Moscow over the mud and this in turn was chopped up, the Germans reached the outskirts of Moscow, took Kalinin and Tula.

The impact for the blizzard (this was before the recent mild blizzard change) was stark. AGC was pushed back about 4 hexes from Moscow and then built a strong point on Kaluga. To the north, NW Front had more joy almost reaching Kholm. To the south, Bryansk Front fought a series of bitter battles but was stalled at Orel.

The main thing I noticed was the lower logistics meant it was very hard to move units any distance and retain an effective CV - it was very much move and wait. So the whole offensive became stop-start and I was constantly cursing a lack of MP/CV.

I think we proved what we set out to test. If you feel the logistics model is too permissive, clamp down on the values (and given my blizzard experience this will also hurt mid/late war Soviet offensives). Equally 75% was too much, and a more fluid game probably needs 85-90%. As a trade off, I'd suggest set Soviet morale to 95% - that has a surprisingly strong effect on CV/morale gain in 1941 and thus means a slower moving German doesn't hit a wall of 12-15 CV rifle divisions.

Of course, all this depends on player skill and attitudes. My goal is to enable no holds barred PBEM (after all the idea is to beat up your opponent and pull all sorts of surprises), but to ensure that this is constrained by a degree of realism.

Post #: 1
RE: Playing with the settings - 10/24/2013 11:40:54 AM   
swkuh

Thanks for your experiments and analysis.

Have found that morale 103/97 or so improves '41 campaign (to my taste.) Will try similar small logistics & supply variances. This only vs. AI.

Intention also is to change factors over time as games go forward, based on forum comments.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2
RE: Playing with the settings - 10/24/2013 7:46:04 PM   
Schmart

That's for the update, Loki. I will probably use 80-85% logistics for my next AI game, although Morale will be more individual for my playing tastes.

The next big step to really improve this game is to re-adjust the logistics. Whether they can simply hard-code a global reduction in logistics by 5% (at least for a start to see how it affects play), or we may have to wait for WITE 2.0 to see the completely new logistics engine that is going into WITW. I hope they can do something in the meantime for WITE to increase playability (not that's it's unplayable now, just to make it better...)

(in reply to swkuh)
Post #: 3
RE: Playing with the settings - 10/25/2013 12:52:56 AM   
mannerheim4

quote:

ORIGINAL: rrbill

Thanks for your experiments and analysis.

Have found that morale 103/97 or so improves '41 campaign (to my taste.) Will try similar small logistics & supply variances. This only vs. AI.

Intention also is to change factors over time as games go forward, based on forum comments.

I agree, lowering the Soviet morale seems to give more realistic results. Also tinkering with AP's, but am keeping logistics and fort building at 100.

Just wish that the airpower issue would be addressed. Unless you "game" it, the Germans are on the defensive beginning in turn 2 in the air war - meaning they cannot take it to the Soviets and destroy their airforce. The Germans have to hope that the Soviets at them.
Regards

(in reply to swkuh)
Post #: 4
RE: Playing with the settings - 10/26/2013 3:21:53 PM   
SigUp

I agree with loki, 85 to 90 on logistics sounds about right for human-vs-human play. If one plays as the German against the AI one can go lower, but for human play lower than that will restrict offensives somewhat too much in 1941, while also considering the blizzard changes for the Soviet side for example. Can't say that much about morale, but I can envision the advantages of slightly lower Soviet morale.

(in reply to mannerheim4)
Post #: 5
RE: Playing with the settings - 10/27/2013 2:19:11 PM   
swkuh

As for air war issues, IIRC Axis noted in '41 & early '42 that it was more effective to overrun Soviet bases and ignore them in the air. Until Soviet air farce turned to an air force it might be ignored. And so do I vs. AI. My priority is higher GS settings and higher interception/defense settings in air doctrine. Keep flak SU units well distributed or attached to ground pieces.

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Playing with the settings Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI