Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My first PBEM

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> My first PBEM Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My first PBEM - 3/14/2004 7:41:29 PM   
h_h_lightcap

Hello all-----h_h_ here. Here to report on my first PBEM. I am playing Buzzard. I should say being "decimated" by buzzard. We are playing an 3000pt, October '44 meeting engagement with me as the Canadians and Buzzy as Germany.

Turn 1---recon out---my Cannuck motorcycle squads quickly find a line of AT guns of large caliber. His turn 1 he destroys all of my recon squads with his MC squads and halftracks. Maybe I should have supported them with a few armored cars.

Turn 2--I spy an infantry squad and a PzIV in the woods and I attack---scratch one Sherman tank but my Ram flamer punishes a German squad---big deal. I decide Folishly that he doesnt have many assests in this area and decide to make a bold move---I know I know on turn 2 of my first PBEM---stupid right? Right. I forget to smoke after I move many tanks forward on his Turn 2 he moves in with infantry and 3 PZIV's and kills 1 Sherman 2 Ram's and A VC firefly---ouch. Oh yeah , and a halftrack.

Broke many cardinal rules of SPWaW. Rules I know from years of playing solitaire. keep infantry with tanks!!!!! Smoke your postions. Tweek your ranges. ANd be patient..... sheesh....

I knew playing against humans would be deadlier and I was right. Too bad i didnt play my turns that way.

Live and learn----h_h_

Time to regroup and salvage this game----no reiforcements till turn 10---
2 more turns like this one and it will be a time for a new game.

"My soul knows my meat is doing bad things, and is embarrassed. But my meat just keeps right on doing bad, dumb things." ----Kurt Vonnegut
Post #: 1
The Buzzard Swoops - 3/15/2004 5:49:00 PM   
Buzzard45

"Buzzy"? BUZZY? Buzzard, or better Mr. Buzzard45. or maybe Buzz when you get to know me better. Buzzbomb, Buzzard Breath, Crouching Buzzard, crotchity Buzzard, Your Vultureness, King Buzzard. Are all much more suitable than Buzzy it makes me sound like a barber.

What do you say V2, can I give you a Marine Cut? I'll be lowering soneone's ears, alright.

h_h_ is a little wet behind the ears but I sense good potential here. He might make a good team-mate at some time in the future.

As for what he says up above. I just got lucky that I was in the right place at the right time.

Watch your flanks, Holyoak. Someone is in your rear.

" Look alive!! Here comes a Buzzard"
POGO

(in reply to h_h_lightcap)
Post #: 2
RE: The Buzzard Swoops - 3/15/2004 7:47:26 PM   
VikingNo2

My hiar cuts are easy, you just shave is all off even a Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzard can do that

(in reply to Buzzard45)
Post #: 3
RE: The Buzzard Swoops - 3/17/2004 5:48:59 AM   
Buzzard45

quote:

ORIGINAL: VikingNo2

My hiar cuts are easy, you just shave is all off even a Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzard can do that

LOL Mine too Buzzards are bald. At least the Turkey Vultures on my mother's side are.

Mr. Lightcap?? You owe me an AAR.

POGO

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 4
RE: The Buzzard Swoops - 3/19/2004 1:50:01 AM   
h_h_lightcap

Ok---Turn 3----Hmmm hard to remember oh yeah Turn 3 i dusted a couple of AT guns that tried to set up too close to my lines. Lost a couple of men. Shifted my forces and decided to bring up evrything to fight it out in the woods. i knew I wasnt going to win so why not learn a few things.

Turn 4----- Left an Achilles hanging due to forgetting that movement is perm. in PBEM. Buzzbomb managed to make me pay---his arty caused a few losses and pinned a few units. Continued to head south. not too much going on this turn.

Turn5-----I scout ahead with my halftracks and he kills a few as i try to take out a flamewagon. i misjudged my movement and LOS and could not get a shot at two tanks and the flammer with my tanks. left him another hanging unit (a HT) which he dutifully destroyed. He captuers all the VH hexes this turn by rolling over my 2 engineer units and having alot of scouts all over the place. I must take back a VH.

Turn 6 BOOM BOOM-----i finally catch his infantry and PzIV's unaware!!!!! I roll down on them and destroy 4 and 3 squads of infantry (2 surrender) my losses for this half of the turn were a vc firefly immobilized and one dead canadian soldier. I also take back a lone VH. Buzz sent his half of the turn to me and said he had destroyed all my units in the area!!!!! I havent been home to check yet ---but i believe it.

PBEM I think favors the attacker if you have shots and movement --no matter the amount of shots you have as a defender. Also being ready on the defensive and such is of limited help. And God help you if your opponant manages to hit you with some Arty first. I think a good strategy is to have a few units(infantry & AT guns ) up front and then when he wacks those you counter with your units that lurk several hexes back. From the WWII books I have read this seems to be the norm bak the too. Although I think it is too easy to make a unit retreat.
The canadians put up a good fight and rally well. Buzzbrain has taught me that quantity is overall better than quality.

"My soul knows my meat is doing bad things, and is embarrassed. But my meat just keeps right on doing bad, dumb things." ----Kurt Vonnegut

(in reply to Buzzard45)
Post #: 5
RE: The Buzzard Swoops - 3/19/2004 2:44:34 AM   
Buzzard45

h_h_, You fight well. It was a small map and a small force. I see you learned many things and I have learned a few also. It is my first time using MC squads as a scouting force. They are mean and fast.

Quantity over Quality? If you mean, Do I spend my points wisely and stay away from the big glitzy show Kats, then yah. I do. Do I buy all the cheapest? Nope. I buy value (if I don't screw up purchases and overestimate the specs) You can buy almost 3 StuGs for the price of a Tiger. But a Tiger has its place too. I have recently learned the value of a turret so I bought the PzIVs and a mix of other units.

I don't think that you are quite correct about the defense. In this game it was so because of the rallying abilities of the Canadians (and also the Germans at this time ) but normally a well set up defense can be very tough to break through and/or cost more than the mission was worth. You should not have been able to come through the smoke without losses at least not with arty prep first. That you did, merely makes you lucky. You would notice from the playback that there was only one case when I went through concealment and allowed you to take the first shot at my tracked vehicles. That was the SiG that was actually off his intended plan. He got lucky. Every other ATG (tank or TD) that I approached was given other targets and most often fired upon before the killer unit made its deadly run. A suppressed tank doesn't shoot straight but an unsppressed unit will most often hit from a range of one if set on the defense. Doesn't always happen with lower quality troops but most major nations had decent gunnery abilities from ranges under 10 hexes. Be careful in your next game. You may not be as lucky as to have the height advantage as you did here.

The arty is the key. You are right there. No defense can stand up to a concentrated combined arms attack. However, if concentrated for the attack you yourself are volnerable to Arty defense. Infantry is Queen and arty is the knight that keeps her on the throne. IMO tanks are merely mobile gun platforms and play a subsidiary role to infantry and the guns behind them.

The real lesson is that PBEM is no where near like playing the AI. It is much more fun. Thank you for the Game, Mr Lightcap. I hope you stay around the community. Now that you have the bug, its time to give someone else a try. There are many good players here abouts. If I have helped you enjoy the game, then I am happy. As for the rematch....It'll have to wait, I am falling behind on my other commitments.

Cheers

POGO

Post #: 6
RE: My first PBEM - 3/19/2004 9:14:38 PM   
h_h_lightcap

WoW----

Turn 6 Buzzards half--------boom boom im dead!!! He killed 2 shermans, a VC firefly, and an Achilles. i roughed up a few infantry squads and killed a halftrack. He did a great job of overwhelming me with infantry and tracks before attacking with tanks and flamewagons. I have learned alot.

Turn 7 --my half---My remaining forces killed a few motorcycle squads that were pestering me---revenge for my bikers that died early on. His half should bring the end of the game as he controls all VH's.

I forced the action early on in this game after he destroyed 1/2 of my armor on turn 2. i knew I couldnt win so I wanted to learn a few things.

Good Game Buzzard Breath!!!!! I shall learn and RETURN! Anyone else up for a game??????
email me at h_h_lightcap@yahoo.com

H_H_

Post #: 7
RE: My first PBEM - 3/20/2004 7:11:23 PM   
h_h_lightcap

Turn 7 his half-----he destroyes more infantry ---i kill a few germans------

Turn 8----he finishes me off mercifully-----He never found my FO or hq though!!!!! that is all that is left of my valiant canadians......and my offboard arty...

This is what i learned from being BUZZ-SAWED.....

1. I did pick an ok mix of units. I needed more recon though.
2. Heavier arty needed. Maybe 155mm and 3inch morter would have been a better mix.
3. slow down -----I was too aggressive---make him hit me first---then counter, at least in this scenario.
4. motrocycles rule!!!!! they may be as unbalancing as cavalry---see thread elsewhere on this. Fast and full firepower----
5. PBEM is addicting. Solitaire, except assaulting, seems dull now.---HERE THAT COMMUNITY I NEED OPPONANTS.
6. Flamethrowers are VERY nice.
7. Buzzy is a good guy----even if he eats carrion!!!

Henry Holyoak Lightcap

Post #: 8
RE: My first PBEM - 3/21/2004 2:49:57 PM   
Frank W.

you should not play canadians, anzac, etc... as
newbie against a experienced germany player btw.

Post #: 9
RE: My first PBEM - 3/22/2004 5:26:38 AM   
Kokoda

quote:

PBEM is addicting. Solitaire, except assaulting, seems dull now.---HERE THAT COMMUNITY I NEED OPPONANTS.

Not very attractive....Looking at what you've done with the name of "Mr Buzzard, Sir!", I hate to think what you might do with Kokoda!

CHRIS

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 10
RE: My first PBEM - 3/22/2004 6:32:58 PM   
h_h_lightcap

What ever do you mean? Kokoda is a perfectly normal name. seems very aussie------heck my dad, aunt and great grandpa were born in Katoomba!!!!----Bob's your uncle!!

Later Koko---

h_h_

Post #: 11
RE: My first PBEM - 3/23/2004 7:40:19 PM   
VikingNo2

Okay Kokoda, I challange you who would you ;ile to be and lets discuss terms

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> My first PBEM Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI