Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT-Lawrence in Arabia

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT-Lawrence in Arabia Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/24/2014 4:03:41 PM   
crsutton

I just finished reading Scott Anderson's "Lawrence in Arabia" which I found to be excellent and recommend to all here. A friend just sent me this news item. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2587193/Secret-desert-camp-used-First-World-War-hero-Lawrence-Arabia-discovered-intact-rum-jars-campfire.html

< Message edited by crsutton -- 3/24/2014 5:04:26 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Post #: 1
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/24/2014 4:25:21 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I just finished reading Scott Anderson's "Lawrence in Arabia" which I found to be excellent and recommend to all here. A friend just sent me this news item. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2587193/Secret-desert-camp-used-First-World-War-hero-Lawrence-Arabia-discovered-intact-rum-jars-campfire.html

Please, never link to the Daily Mail. The time spent finding the same news on another site is well spent. The terrible "journalism" and sensationalist crap that the Daily Mail spews forth does not deserve revenue from ads.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/24/2014 4:59:44 PM   
crsutton

Thanks for the scolding. I know it is the Daily Mail but a search on Google will show that this story is legit and all over the British media.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 3
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/24/2014 5:05:17 PM   
Cribtop

I will second the recommendation for this book. It provides a broader look at Lawrence of Arabia and puts him in context with other players. Also has good insights into the tragicomedy of insider dealing between the various imperial powers. Finally, I liked the commentary on Gallipoli and the possible, more fruitful alternatives.

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 3/24/2014 6:06:24 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/24/2014 6:44:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

Please, never link to the Daily Mail. The time spent finding the same news on another site is well spent. The terrible "journalism" and sensationalist crap that the Daily Mail spews forth does not deserve revenue from ads.
warspite1

Linking to the Daily Mail is a billion times better than linking to rags like the Guardian or Mirror....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 5
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/24/2014 6:46:06 PM   
crsutton

Well, now I feel validated...

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/24/2014 6:47:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Well, now I feel validated...
warspite1

Glad to be of service

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 7
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/24/2014 6:55:32 PM   
catwhoorg

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Linking to the Daily Mail is a billion times better than linking to rags like the Guardian or Mirror....

Could have been worse even, could have been THE SCUM.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 8
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/24/2014 6:57:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: catwhoorg

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Could have been worse even, could have been THE SCUM.

warspite1

True...although I would even read that piece of £$%^ (well look at the pictures anyway) over the Guardian any day of the week

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 9
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/24/2014 6:58:46 PM   
catwhoorg

I am always struck just how much Peter O'Toole looks like TE Lawrence.

If there ever was an inspired piece of casting, that was it

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 10
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/24/2014 7:04:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I am always struck just how much Peter O'Toole looks like TE Lawrence.

If there ever was an inspired piece of casting, that was it
warspite1

Great film

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 11
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/24/2014 9:36:39 PM   
jcjordan

How different is Anderson's vs "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"? I read that many decades ago

Oh I if you don't know it, they're doing a remake of LOA - may god strike them down

< Message edited by jcjordan -- 3/24/2014 10:37:33 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 12
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/24/2014 9:52:11 PM   
Cribtop

Ugh on the remake.

Seven Pillars is discussed in detail in Lawrence in Arabia, including several areas where Lawrence likely strained the truth a bit in order to avoid getting into trouble with the authorities.

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 13
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/24/2014 11:14:50 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

The Daily Mail and the Sun are firmly established as the only newspaper worth less than toilet paper.

Thankfully we have broadsheets.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 14
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/25/2014 6:39:30 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

The Daily Mail and the Sun are firmly established as the only newspaper worth less than toilet paper.

warspite1

Firmly established? Maybe in your mind. Fact is they happen to be the two most widely circulated daily newspapers in the UK.

The broadsheets together do not sell as many copies as the Daily Mail - or even the 3rd placed Mirror. Pleased to see the Guardian barely scrapes 200,000.

Post #: 15
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/25/2014 6:41:47 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

How different is Anderson's vs "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"? I read that many decades ago

Oh I if you don't know it, they're doing a remake of LOA - may god strike them down
warspite1

Is Rafe Macauley in it?

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 16
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/25/2014 12:25:13 PM   
catwhoorg

quote:

Starring Ben Affleck ?

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 17
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/25/2014 1:13:31 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Firmly established? Maybe in your mind. Fact is they happen to be the two most widely circulated daily newspapers in the UK.

The broadsheets together do not sell as many copies as the Daily Mail - or even the 3rd placed Mirror. Pleased to see the Guardian barely scrapes 200,000.

The large circulation figures is due to the fact that they appeal to the lowest common denominator in the population.

Just because they sell well doesn't make them good examples of journalism. Fact is (for the Daily Mail at least, can't claim any familiarity with the Sun) it thrives on controversy and sensation rather than anything resembling good journalism.

I get the feeling that you're basing your opinion off your political leanings. I'm not; my judgement of these papers is based off of their journalistic merit alone.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 18
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/25/2014 3:32:41 PM   
dr.hal

What about "The Independent"??? I thought that a pretty good compromise. But to me the REAL paper is the International Herald Tribune"!!!!!

Post #: 19
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/25/2014 4:39:46 PM   
crsutton

quote:

Seven Pillars is a worthy read (if not somewhat difficult). But you have to bear in mind that it is a memoir and they almost always tend to be self serving. Lawrence was an amazing man but was not above stretching the truth a good bit if it suited him.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 20
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/25/2014 4:41:54 PM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Does not matter to me. I only read page 3 anyways.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 21
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/25/2014 5:30:09 PM   
Encircled

Quality tabload

Is this from the Guardian?

< Message edited by Encircled -- 3/25/2014 6:30:41 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 22
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/25/2014 9:14:35 PM   
jcjordan

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Is Rafe Macauley in it?

Not that I've heard but they could do a Pixar type thing & put Lemchek in it. I'm sure whoever is they'll be best buds for life but then their love interest will switch between them. Afterall TE Lawrence did have an interesting love life didn't he from stories heard

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 23
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/26/2014 7:53:11 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

quote:

Starring Ben Affleck ?

.. with a tank, just to make it more exciting.

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 24
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/26/2014 11:24:46 AM   
DSwain

I wouldn't use The Daily Mail to line a birdcage

Interesting story about TE Lawrence, nonetheless.

< Message edited by DSwain -- 3/26/2014 12:25:16 PM >

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 25
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/26/2014 7:17:33 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

The large circulation figures is due to the fact that they appeal to the lowest common denominator in the population.

Just because they sell well doesn't make them good examples of journalism. Fact is (for the Daily Mail at least, can't claim any familiarity with the Sun) it thrives on controversy and sensation rather than anything resembling good journalism.

I get the feeling that you're basing your opinion off your political leanings. I'm not; my judgement of these papers is based off of their journalistic merit alone.

warspite1

Guess we'll agree to disagree on that then

Post #: 26
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/26/2014 9:04:20 PM   
jcjordan

I take it that The Daily Mail is UK equivalent to National Enquirer w/ I'm Bigfoots love child stories?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 27
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/26/2014 11:09:11 PM   
catwhoorg

quote:

I take it that The Daily Mail is UK equivalent to National Enquirer w/ I'm Bigfoots love child stories?

That would be the Sunday Sport.

Freddie Starr ate my Hamster
Lancaster Bomber found on the moon

and many many other crazies.
That's assuming its still going.

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 28
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/27/2014 4:55:08 AM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

No - nothing like it. The Daily Mail is a serious newspaper.

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 29
RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia - 3/27/2014 8:11:15 AM   
Encircled

Daily Mail headline predictor

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT-Lawrence in Arabia Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI