Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

More galaxies mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> More galaxies mod Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
More galaxies mod - 5/20/2016 4:53:55 AM   
soulstenance

The DW maps are already very vast but I was thinking it would be cool to be able to travel outside your home galaxy. Each galaxy should be separated by a wide expanse of open space making hyperspace travel near impossible. Then a new mid to late game tech could be introduced, the wormhole, allowing near instant travel between 2 points but consuming massive amounts of energy to open (say 10 or 20 times the speed of hyperspace). They could be opened by special Wormhole Stations through which several ships could pass before collapsing or ships could be fitted with a much weaker version that only allows one ship to pass through before collapsing. There is a risk, as enemy ships can also pass through the other way as long as it remains open (not sure if this is scientifically accurate but would be good from a game play perspective, ie so your ships can return home). At custom start there should be new options to choose how many galaxies, how far apart they are and whether to customize each galaxy's content or have it random.

I'm not sure how much of this is possible to mod and I know nothing about modding but what do you think?

< Message edited by soulstenance -- 5/20/2016 6:42:48 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: More galaxies mod - 5/21/2016 4:08:36 PM   
Osito

Sadly, this is pretty much impossible to achieve. You can't mod the game to provide a 'two galaxy' start other than by creating two galaxies in the game space using the editor. While this would be possible, you would have to load the map you created each time, which would mean playing on the same map each time. Also, the map would not work with other mods. And finally, you'd need to mod hyperspace speed to lower it, otherwise civilizations would be able to hop between the galaxies as soon as they got the Gerax - although there are mods around to reduce hyperspace speed, such as my own 'Research Unleashed' :-)

I agree it would be really cool to do what you're suggesting, but it just isn't achievable in any satisfactory way. Maybe in DW2 ...

Osito

(in reply to soulstenance)
Post #: 2
RE: More galaxies mod - 5/22/2016 8:19:32 AM   
soulstenance

I feared as much. I'll take a look at your mod. The main thing that I disliked is that you could travel almost across the galaxy so early on. I am really looking forward to seeing what they do with DW2. I wonder if it is at least possible to spawn a larger galaxy say 30x30 instead of the default 15x15.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 3
RE: More galaxies mod - 5/22/2016 6:14:36 PM   
Osito

I believe it's hard coded, so I don't think you can change the galaxy size to 30x30.

Note that you can't really go above the maximum of 1400 star systems, either. Although you can add more in the game editor, I've found that in games with more than 1400, the game will crash, usually after about 20-30 years game time.

Osito

< Message edited by Osito -- 5/22/2016 6:16:58 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: More galaxies mod - 5/22/2016 9:27:33 PM   
phi6

Osito, did anything become of your Milky Way Galaxy mod? I remember a thread on it a while back, but you ran into some difficulties...

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 5
RE: More galaxies mod - 5/23/2016 4:30:39 AM   
soulstenance

That's too bad. I guess I will play it as is until the next game comes out.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 6
RE: More galaxies mod - 5/23/2016 5:42:02 PM   
Osito

@phi6, I did release it. See the post here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3656168

However, there are massive limitions in the way it can be used, so it's probably not likely to be of much interest. I'm currently looking at doing something similar for Stellaris, and have been surprised to find serious technical problems in the map moddability of that game too.

Osito

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> More galaxies mod Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI