Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Require minimum size for military class designs?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Require minimum size for military class designs? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Require minimum size for military class designs? - 3/19/2015 3:41:03 PM   
mordachai

Is there a way to specify that a given class of military ship should not be allowed to be built unless their ship size capacity is at or greater than some minimum?

Frigates minimum 300?
Destroyers at minimum 400?
Cruisers minimum 500?
Capital minimum 600?

I keep tweaking the design files, but most times the auto-designed ships are coming up way too early - e.g. a 400 sized Capital ship. Just silly (no valid distinction from a DD).

Or can I mod the tech tree such that each class is tied to a specific tech?
Post #: 1
RE: Require minimum size for military class designs? - 3/20/2015 9:09:44 AM   
Icemania

I'm not aware of any way to do that mordachai. Have you tried increasing the number of components on your Capital ship designs? i.e. so the default designs are larger. The game will allow shrinkage but only to a point.

(in reply to mordachai)
Post #: 2
RE: Require minimum size for military class designs? - 3/24/2015 9:32:52 PM   
mordachai

I haven't getting very far with modding yet... but I wonder how the "dedicated carriers" tech is handled? Or similarly, the "refueling" ships - they both have a specific tech that unlocks them. I wondered if I can do the same for DD, CR, DN?

I'll post back if I have any luck - but I assume the answer is "they're handled different / need hard-coded support"

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 3
RE: Require minimum size for military class designs? - 3/24/2015 11:38:27 PM   
mordachai

Found the setting in research.txt - the definitive answer is :NO. The ABILITIES line has two possible ship type values: carrier & resupply. So, would require engine support to allow DD or CR or etc. to be tied to a tech requirement.

(in reply to mordachai)
Post #: 4
RE: Require minimum size for military class designs? - 3/26/2015 11:32:48 PM   
Noble713

quote:

I keep tweaking the design files, but most times the auto-designed ships are coming up way too early - e.g. a 400 sized Capital ship. Just silly (no valid distinction from a DD).

They are just titles to explain their tactical usage. They have no real impact on Naval Architecture. It absolutely makes sense to build two ship designs of roughly the same displacement but vastly different roles in the fleet. Real world example: Ticonderoga-class cruisers (primarily a fleet air defense ship) and the latest Arleigh Burke-class destroyers (general purpose surface warfare). Both are about 10,000 tons. To use Distant Worlds terms, the Navy copied their Spruance-class Destroyer design, renamed it to Ticonderoga, added a Fleet Targeting System component, and changed the role from "Destroyer" to "Cruiser".

I think this idea of rigid size requirements for things can be chalked up to:
1. Gamer OCD.
2. several decades of pen&paper RPGs/strategy games/etc. that have ingrained this way of thinking into minds of players.

(in reply to mordachai)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Require minimum size for military class designs? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI