Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

simulating information tunnel in command

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> simulating information tunnel in command Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
simulating information tunnel in command - 7/16/2015 10:25:16 PM   
AlanChan

I find a quite unrealistic part of playing CMANO- every unit is somehow connected with a secure stealth datalink to share situational awareness. And that datalink is quantum, because it can pass through water and circular earth.
That is OK for surface warfare, not so realistic for air war. Very unrealistic for submarine warfare. My subs can remain submerged in -50m and still receive update on enemy SAG position so it can easily launch Harpoons on to them. Sub intercepting surface ship become easy if you have Heli's in the air to guide them. I think submarines should be more realistically simulated:

1.Submerged submarines should not try to intercept surface targets inside their patrol zones unless it is detected by its own sensors or it has antennas stick out of ocean’s surface to receive data (thus detectable by MPA's radars and ESM equipment).
2. AI should not launch SSMs toward hostile targets unless these targets are detected by its own sensors or the sub have antennas out of water. -50M launches of SSM should only be bearing only, without mid-way guidance or position updates.
3. AI SAGs on EMCON should not be able to get cueing information from forward deployed subs and launch OTH ASM strikes when the subs are deeply submerged. Subs should try to rise to periscope depths and send out enemy information before SAG could fire OTH strikes.

With these modifications, the submarine could behave more realistically
Post #: 1
RE: simulating information tunnel in command - 7/16/2015 11:20:35 PM   
thewood1

The best thing you can do is make other units allies or neutrals, especially subs. In fact, you can sub-divide your forces any number of times in the scenario editor. You can make iit so realistic that you'll want to throw your computer across the room.

(in reply to AlanChan)
Post #: 2
RE: simulating information tunnel in command - 7/17/2015 12:02:06 AM   
scottb613

Hi Alan,

Yep - concur - as realistic as Command strives to be in other areas - Submarine Warfare leaves me a bit under whelmed... I've messed around with placing subs on their own sides but that's not very realistic either - as they can't react, relay information, or have their tasking changed... I'm sure it would be a substantial amount of work to change how Submarine Warfare is currently handled and to their credit - the developers here seem more involved with the community than any other sim I've ever come across but maybe someday... I know many didn't like the Harpoon version of Submarine Warfare - but - making more realistic submarine ops doesn't have to mean copying Harpoon... The limited communications capability along with their inherent stealth makes for a platform that needs to be handled completely different from surface ships or aircraft - which should only add interest to the sim... LOL - well - Submarine warfare is something I'm passionate about - I'll go back to lurking now...

Really like all the improvements you guys have made - keep up the good work...

Regards,
Scott

< Message edited by scottb613 -- 7/17/2015 1:34:34 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 3
RE: simulating information tunnel in command - 7/17/2015 12:14:21 AM   
thewood1

It actually can be done through the use of different sides/postures and LUA. I have been playing around with it but haven't actually done it yet. It means setting up multiple missions and then activating them based on certain circumstances or switches. You can get the basics done without LUA.

(in reply to scottb613)
Post #: 4
RE: simulating information tunnel in command - 7/17/2015 4:59:37 AM   
ComDev

Noted. Although in Harpoon2 and Harpoon3, most people played with AUTO COMMs because once a sub dropped off the comms network it was effectively 'lost'. Because of that, sub comms was not on our priority list when making Command. We'd like to add this at some point though

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 5
RE: simulating information tunnel in command - 7/17/2015 9:54:39 AM   
mikmykWS

Yeah this is a realism vs playability design decision. We've discussed this in detail in a few other strings.

Thanks

Mike

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 6
RE: simulating information tunnel in command - 7/18/2015 4:28:30 PM   
AlanChan

That requires player to activate and deactivate a set of missions based on excuting lua scripts. But how would player to control that information? I do not know how to do that when not in editor mode, I did not find any "console" for activating script.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 7
RE: simulating information tunnel in command - 7/18/2015 4:41:53 PM   
thewood1

You can play in editor mode. I haven't played in the regular game play mode since the first week of release.

That is the part I haven't tried yet and plan on playing with it soon. It is dependent on the scenario designer setting up that way.

(in reply to AlanChan)
Post #: 8
RE: simulating information tunnel in command - 7/18/2015 5:17:43 PM   
thewood1

I have also set up a test scenario where the sub force is neutral to my side and I activate and deactivate missions based on events and triggers. There are a few limitations, but haven't touched Lua. I am going to try some Lua scripts tonight to see if I can make the missions activated manually.

The event engine by itself is a huge leap beyond H3, and then add Lua in and there is no comparison to what Command can do.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> simulating information tunnel in command Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI