Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sprite Ratio

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Sprite Ratio Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sprite Ratio - 10/13/2017 4:20:47 AM   
PrinceBolkonsky

I'm think of buying. I'd like to be able to set the sprite ratio to 1-1.

The Sprite Ratio defaults at 6 to 1. The rulebook states you can set this to 1-1. Does this work? What memory does the game require to set the ratio to 1-1? Or, does this not work well except for small battles?
Post #: 1
RE: Sprite Ratio - 10/13/2017 5:47:19 AM   
Biondo

Hi Bolkonsky. There's a limit set to 200 sprites per battalion also if you set 1:1 sprite ratio.

I can't help you about the performance playing large battles with that ratio.

I usually play corps vs corps battles keeping the ratio to 6:1 or 4:1. I have a 3570k processor, 4 GB ram memory and a HD 5750 video card. The game run smooth for me which means 30/40 fps.

I know, and I tried a mod which permit to play with a 1:1 sprite ratio. This was possible scaling down the basic unit to company instead of battalion. The problem is that the AI doesn't move the company together as a single battalion but keep moving them independently.

Another consideration is that the unit frontage and the space she occupy on the battlefield match better with default ratio.

The game really worth for me, in my opinion is the most historically accurate experience you can have about a Napoleonic battle. Especially if you play HITS (headquarter in the saddle, your view is glued to the saddle of your character, you give orders via courier) which is the way I play with my friends a couple of time a week. Very immersive!

< Message edited by Biondo -- 10/13/2017 5:48:01 AM >

(in reply to PrinceBolkonsky)
Post #: 2
RE: Sprite Ratio - 10/13/2017 9:02:40 AM   
roy64

When playing large battles with the 1-1 ratio the performance drops dramatically which means 3-7 fps & to tell the truth the games plays & looks ugly with 1-1 ratio. I would agree with Biondo that a 6:1 or 4:1 ratio is best. I never get more than 7-15 fps playing large battles, at 7-15 fps the game still plays ok.

The worst bit about the game is the unrealistic cavalry v cavalry combat results, explained here http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/96-discussion/74537-cavalry-question

Unfortunately this bug looks like it will never be fixed as no one at norb has ever acknowledged it, so for this reason I can not recommend buying the game as cavalry combat is one of the most important aspects of Napoleonic warfare.

(in reply to PrinceBolkonsky)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Sprite Ratio Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI