Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combat mission:AF dissapointment

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Combat mission:AF dissapointment Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combat mission:AF dissapointment - 4/5/2003 8:03:31 AM   
Zakhal

http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmak/cmak.html

Third game in the series and STILL no campaign mode. Its a major downer in the othervice good game. Big enough to make me not buy it. Im finished with the series.

I hope matrix wont make this same mistake with its own squad based games, squad assault, close assault and combat leader. One of the main driving forces of SPWAW was the superb campaings. (the original full dynamic plus the brilliant megas;) )

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Post #: 1
- 4/5/2003 10:00:16 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

There has been sufficent comment, that I think Combat Leader will see some form of "Mega Campaign" concept.

I sure hope so.

Lots of fine efforts being considered, but in the end, I could be happy dumping all my cash on CL and just assuming "someone else" would buy the other games on the market :)

Some guys sow their seeds everywhere, but CL might be all the game I ever need potentially. And hey, I can only play one game at a time on the computer hehe.

About Battlefront, hmm they produce nice games, but all I have ever detected, both in comment, as well as approach, speaks to me of their being happy to be small.

That might also apply to how they wish to market their games. If this is not the case, they will have to speak up and say otherwise to me.

Small scale though, is not what I get out of looking at Matrix.

I don't think Matrix is interested in being small. Or at least everything they do speaks to me of them wanting to be all they can be.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 2
- 4/5/2003 10:20:38 AM   
Zakhal

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]There has been sufficent comment, that I think Combat Leader will see some form of "Mega Campaign" concept.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Just re-do the "army group south".;) (if nothing else)

Squad based equipment simulator is "ok" but to be a real game it needs to have a campaign too.:D

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 3
- 4/5/2003 11:01:36 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

For myself, Steel Panthers is sooooo cool in battle mode against a human, but I rapidly found the game is kinda lame against the AI in battle use.

The scenarios are great, but eventually you know where everything will be.

The Mega Campaigns though have really made me work for each battle. It's truely where Steel Panthers shines.

I fully expect the CL game to require a MC option to really wow the hard core fan.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 4
- 4/5/2003 11:02:17 AM   
Fallschirmjager

The lack of a campaign doesnt bother me much
The game is excellent on a tactical level

And the fact that the game includes Crete is of personal significance to me

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 5
- 4/6/2003 12:35:08 PM   
Mike C

quote:

I hope matrix wont make this same mistake with its own squad based games, squad assault, close assault and combat leader.

Well, not counting games they produce, I can assure you they haven't made this mistake yet with regards to the games they have previously developed.

Live by the sword, die with your boots on

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 6
- 4/7/2003 3:43:45 PM   
Frank W.

i agree with the original poster- CM really lacks a campaign mode.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 7
- 4/8/2003 12:36:35 AM   
ASHBERY76

I think the engine's looking very,very dated.:(

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 8
- 4/8/2003 12:50:56 AM   
Mad Cow

This is the last CM game using this engine.

Releasing this one all they had to do was add a few new vehicles and terrain.

They are rounding it out, and after this one, it is expected that they will begin to make the new engine for the next generation.

a campaign mode is not that big a deal to me, except I would love to see one, it does not distract from what is easily the best wargame I have ever played.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 9
- 4/8/2003 1:38:40 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

My only complaint.

Interface.

Managing the "view" getting the game to show me the view angle I needed was a chore.

The game is visually ok, the setting is acceptable. But the game to actually run was to much like work, work I think that could be designed out with a more usable set of controls.

This doesn't appear to be a hassle with anyone else though. But it will have to change to get me to play the game.

This would apply though, to any 3d game.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 10
- 4/8/2003 3:02:12 AM   
Frank W.

[B]My only complaint.

Interface.

Managing the "view" getting the game to show me the view angle I needed was a chore.

The game is visually ok, the setting is acceptable. But the game to actually run was to much like work, work I think that could be designed out with a more usable set of controls.

This doesn't appear to be a hassle with anyone else though. But it will have to change to get me to play the game.

This would apply though, to any 3d game. [/B][/QUOTE]

perhaps this is one of the points which i don´t like with
CM, too. i still see SPWAW at front for a tactical game, although
the game concepts are not the same....

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 11
- 4/8/2003 3:37:06 AM   
Mad Cow

[B]My only complaint.

Interface.

This would apply though, to any 3d game. [/B][/QUOTE]

That is totally understandable.

I hope that the new engine for CM which should be out in a year or two will address this, for this seems to be the biggest complaint most have with CM.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 12
- 4/8/2003 3:38:32 AM   
Mad Cow

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank W.
[B]perhaps this is one of the points which i don´t like with
CM, too. i still see SPWAW at front for a tactical game, although
the game concepts are not the same.... [/B][/QUOTE]

SPW@W just doesn't pull me into the game. I tried to get into it, it just wouldn't do it for me.

I have been thinking of trying SP:MBT just to get some modern tactical battles. Would it be worth the HD space?

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 13
- 4/8/2003 7:33:50 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Mad Cow if you have not tried a Mega Campaign you missed the best bait out there.

SPMBT will only require a small portion of the size that SPWaW uses, but if you are "not drawn in" by SPWaW you might not find much difference with SPMBT.

The graphics are not as detailed, but it is basically the same game, just modern weapons.

Diving around a Tiger is not a great deal different an experience in game thrill to driving around an Abrams. The maps will not be significanty different, nor will the play style be.

I am sure for instance, that the CM fans are going to be all over this new release. It looks like they will get "more of what they like".

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 14
- 4/9/2003 7:09:02 AM   
Mad Cow

[B]Mad Cow if you have not tried a Mega Campaign you missed the best bait out there.

SPMBT will only require a small portion of the size that SPWaW uses, but if you are "not drawn in" by SPWaW you might not find much difference with SPMBT.

The graphics are not as detailed, but it is basically the same game, just modern weapons.

Diving around a Tiger is not a great deal different an experience in game thrill to driving around an Abrams. The maps will not be significanty different, nor will the play style be.

I am sure for instance, that the CM fans are going to be all over this new release. It looks like they will get "more of what they like". [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I think I am going to d/l SP:MBT, I have an itch to scratch right now... who knows, its been a while, maybe it will "pull me in" better than the last time.

:)

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 15
- 4/21/2003 1:59:36 PM   
SwampYankee68

I only play CM and CM2 PBEM, so I don't see the lack of a campaign as a problem. I believe that CM and CM2 are great wargames, and terrific for PBEM.

"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 16
- 4/21/2003 2:57:52 PM   
Frank W.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mad Cow
[B]SPW@W just doesn't pull me into the game. I tried to get into it, it just wouldn't do it for me.

I have been thinking of trying SP:MBT just to get some modern tactical battles. Would it be worth the HD space? [/B][/QUOTE]

yeah. it would be worth. depending on how big is your HD of course. okay, like les always said, no big download.

but i like SPWAW more, it´s more elegant so to speak.

and SPMBT is DOS if you have a geforce MX card or win XP you can run in trouble running it...

i currently play only SPWAW PBM and HoI...

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 17
Re: Combat mission:AF dissapointment - 4/21/2003 4:58:50 PM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zakhal
[B]http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmak/cmak.html

Third game in the series and STILL no campaign mode. Its a major downer in the othervice good game. Big enough to make me not buy it. Im finished with the series.

[/B][/QUOTE]

This is the reason why I've only bought CM:BO and will never buy a CM product again.......

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 18
- 4/21/2003 6:10:42 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

While I can see a game that is supported by only modest releases, that don't possess every variable where play option is concerned might be vexing, is it enough to make you refuse to buy it just on that basis though?

I have bought Heroes of Might and Magic's expansions, where I was fairly certain, all I was getting was a few more campaigns, and a couple of new creature types. Essentially a product priced at half the original game package, with only a fraction of the original game package's content.

Some call it shamelessly milking the fan base, and maybe it is, but as long as the game works, and the game is liked, is it truely the end of the world?

I generally don't get to upset when offered "more" of a game that is definitely a good game.

I save my annoyance and possibly anger for games where the the introductory product sucked and was full of irresponsible bugs, and the second release is nothing more than the first release with the bugs removed, and some worthless add on to make it seem like a new game.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 19
- 4/21/2003 6:24:40 PM   
U2

Well also I just did not like the game itself:) The no campaign feature just made everything worse. When it comes to small tactical battle games I like them with a campaign feature much like Steel Panthers had. I have never played a stand alone Steel Panthers battle and I never will.....

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 20
- 4/21/2003 7:40:52 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I played a handful of games in Battle variant with Steel Panthers, but I agree, the thrill dies fast when it becomes apparent how little thinking the AI seems to employ in that mode.

Battle is great for hotseat mode though.

But unless you have a local, hotseat is not much value :)

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 21
- 4/21/2003 11:37:24 PM   
Snigbert

Are there any free campaigns available for the SP:MBT game? I downloaded the game and it only came with 1 Marine 67 campaign

"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 22
- 4/22/2003 1:11:14 PM   
Karnaaj

Good question; I didn't even know *that* was there. I've just been playing around with various scenarios and quick-battles, meself. I'm sure folks are working on it, tho... there's just so many possibilities. Even without getting into weird stuff, like US invasions of Canada, re-creating actions from the GDW RPG TWILIGHT 2000 (RED STAR, LONE STAR, anyone? Or "gotta get this one" the RDF SOURCEBOOK?), and your cheesy '50s giant insect or flying saucer attacks...

What can I say, I'm *strange*...

SP:WAW (http://www.matrixgames.com/Games/WorldAtWar/index.asp)
SP:MBT/SP:WW2 (http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo.htm)
Combat Mission HQ (http://www.combatmission.com/)
G-o-D's Close Combat Links (http://home.wanadoo.nl/cclinks/)

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 23
- 4/22/2003 9:18:48 PM   
Eric Young

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mad Cow
[B]This is the last CM game using this engine.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I've heard that before.

Hey, they do what they do very well.

E

"If I did unto others as they did unto me I would be a horrible person." -Kari Thorsen

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Combat mission:AF dissapointment Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI