Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How Viable is NOT Sinking Convoys?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> How Viable is NOT Sinking Convoys? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How Viable is NOT Sinking Convoys? - 9/4/2015 8:32:54 AM   
Calvinist

I want to play a game as the Central Powers and not risk U.S. involvement. How much of an advantage doe the Allies get if I don't follow aggressive submarine tactics?
Post #: 1
RE: How Viable is NOT Sinking Convoys? - 9/4/2015 9:26:29 AM   
operating

Here's the lua file on sinking convoys and what effect it would have on the USA:
quote:

-- USA relationship drops several times when a certain number of convoys have been killed
function ConvoyAttacks(attacker, defender)
if defender.prototype ~= nil and defender.prototype.name == "convoy" then
if attacker.faction.alliance.id == 2 then
if GetEvent("ConvoyAttacks1") == 0 then
local convoyLosses = 0
for faction in game:GetAllianceById(1).factions do
convoyLosses = convoyLosses + faction.luaData.statsCasualties["convoy"]
end
if convoyLosses > 400 then
SetEvent("ConvoyAttacks1", game.turn)
local usa = game:GetFactionById(10)
ChangeFactionAlignment(usa, attacker.faction.alliance, -15)
end
end

if GetEvent("ConvoyAttacks2") == 0 then
local convoyLosses = 0
for faction in game:GetAllianceById(1).factions do
convoyLosses = convoyLosses + faction.luaData.statsCasualties["convoy"]
end
if convoyLosses > 800 then
SetEvent("ConvoyAttacks2", game.turn)
local usa = game:GetFactionById(10)
ChangeFactionAlignment(usa, attacker.faction.alliance, -25)
end
end
elseif attacker.faction.alliance.id == 1 and true then -- Add condition for not in Baltic
if GetEvent("BlockadeEstablished") == 0 then
SetEvent("BlockadeEstablished", game.turn)
game:GetFactionById(2).luaData.blockaded = 1
end
end
end
end

(in reply to Calvinist)
Post #: 2
RE: How Viable is NOT Sinking Convoys? - 9/4/2015 7:52:03 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: Calvinist

I want to play a game as the Central Powers and not risk U.S. involvement. How much of an advantage doe the Allies get if I don't follow aggressive submarine tactics?

If you keep score of how many convoy points you sink, you can sink 39 convoy points (39=390 PP) without getting a special event notice which occurs at 40 sinkings (40= 400PP). At 40 the USA goes on the March to war.

The Entente do not get any advantages if USA does not enter the war, however they (England and France) will still have convoys, which will not only give them income, but also an increase to their MP each time a convoy reaches port...

(in reply to Calvinist)
Post #: 3
RE: How Viable is NOT Sinking Convoys? - 9/5/2015 2:28:44 PM   
Calvinist

quote:

ORIGINAL: operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: Calvinist

If you keep score of how many convoy points you sink, you can sink 39 convoy points (39=390 PP) without getting a special event notice which occurs at 40 sinkings (40= 400PP). At 40 the USA goes on the March to war.

The Entente do not get any advantages if USA does not enter the war, however they (England and France) will still have convoys, which will not only give them income, but also an increase to their MP each time a convoy reaches port...

Okay, so some limited submarine warfare is safe but I will want to make sure I don't go nuts on it.
Thanks!

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 4
RE: How Viable is NOT Sinking Convoys? - 9/5/2015 4:13:47 PM   
operating

Usually what happens at 40 sinkings, the USA goes to war in 25 turns leaving CP some time to prepare for that, plus no USA assets will arrive in Europe for quite some time, however their limited navy could be on the way after 25 turns. If you sink more than 40 convoys it could shorten up the amount of turns the USA goes to war, in otherwords from 25 to 20 turns rather quickly..

(in reply to Calvinist)
Post #: 5
RE: How Viable is NOT Sinking Convoys? - 9/16/2015 11:19:33 AM   
Housies

I just played a CP game. I want all in on the convoy war sinking as much as possible and building lots of subs.
After I got the message from USA not being pleased, they joined the war 1 turn later. So not sure about this 25 turns as stated above. Maybe its because I did sink way more than 40?

Anyway, it proved to be a viable tactic as both France and UK were clearly low on PP. They could not afford upgrading frontline troops and even reinforcement didn't happen all the time. So my western front suddenly broke trough, managed to take Paris, game, set match.

All American troops they managed to send over to Europe got sunk by my subs as well. So their involvement didn't change anything at all on the battlefield.

If you still want to play nicely an avoid USA involvement, I recommend to focus on the French merchant convoy only. They only get limited convoys, but need the PP more than the UK do.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 6
RE: How Viable is NOT Sinking Convoys? - 9/16/2015 11:58:08 AM   
operating

As you know there are 10 ships (equal to 100 points) in a convoy so each convoy eliminated counts as 10 sinkings x 4 convoys = 40 sinkings which equal 400 convoylosses points or rather 400 PP. Each convoy ship sunk after 40 already sunk, increases (accelerates) America's march to war. A number of special event messages should have popped up before America enters the war.

Yes, your sub strategy does work and it sounds like you have managed it quite well versus the AI and even can be done in MP, however the MP players usually adjust to naval tactics and strategy, whereas, the naval AI needs to be tweaked somewhat.

(in reply to Housies)
Post #: 7
RE: How Viable is NOT Sinking Convoys? - 9/22/2015 11:05:17 AM   
Housies

The naval AI was useless against my sub tactic.
It will indeed be different in a MP game I am afraid.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> How Viable is NOT Sinking Convoys? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI