Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Evasion - weird cav vs inf interaction

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Pike & Shot Series >> Evasion - weird cav vs inf interaction Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Evasion - weird cav vs inf interaction - 3/31/2016 8:24:38 PM   
PDiFolco

Hi all
Great game, but the "evasion" rules seems a bit wonky, let me explain :
- Lt inf (arquebusiers and such) can evade Hvy cav (Gendarmes) indefinitely, running back all the map without tiring (!)
- But the same inf and all Med-Hvy cav canNOT evade a ponderous Tercio/Pikemen charge - even for cav that was running after said Arquebusiers !!
This just seems not right, and eventually this makes hvy cav quite useless, as anything that should fear them evades, and they are powerless vs Tercios/Pikes... they can just fight their counterparts (if any!).
Is this a known "weak" feature that could be addressed ?
Post #: 1
RE: Evasion - weird cav vs inf interaction - 4/1/2016 9:56:06 PM   
TheGrayMouser

Seems true to history though, gendarmes were not effective vs the massive pike blocks and thus the only things left for them to take on were other cavalry or very soft targets like lights caught in the open.

The good news is, if you allow your gendarmes to be in the path of a tercio or swiss block, and they charge the cavalry, "usually" your gendarme will bounce after impact, suffering minimal casualties and not having to suffer a round of melee...

I am glad this game does not allow units to be "ordered" to evade, never evade etc like in FOG, not because such things wernt occasionally possible, but because then the "helicoptor/hive mind command effect" takes over vs realistc maneuvers, as players will order units to suicide "never evade" so as to pin enemy units to get rear hits, etc etc... Gaming the game type play so to speak.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 2
RE: Evasion - weird cav vs inf interaction - 4/1/2016 10:33:10 PM   
PDiFolco

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Gray Mouser

Seems true to history though, gendarmes were not effective vs the massive pike blocks and thus the only things left for them to take on were other cavalry or very soft targets like lights caught in the open.

Granted, Gendarmes weren't effective vs pikes, problem is that in the game they cannot even evade "charging" pikes, and are evaded by Light inf...

I agree too that it's a good thing to not be able to order evasion, but cav should be able to evade inf but not the other way round !

(in reply to TheGrayMouser)
Post #: 3
RE: Evasion - weird cav vs inf interaction - 4/17/2016 4:27:13 AM   
Hrothgar

Are you sure the evading units aren't MOUNTED arquebusiers. I just played a game with gendarmes and foot arquebusiers, and the arquebusiers had to stand and take the charge.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Pike & Shot Series >> Evasion - weird cav vs inf interaction Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI