Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New to Game - This Game is Brilliant

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> New to Game - This Game is Brilliant Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New to Game - This Game is Brilliant - 5/29/2016 3:04:13 AM   
LordMM

Greetings puny humans

SO after being disappointed at Stellaris after buying the Galaxy edition i came across the 60%off and purchased Distant Worlds.

Ooooh...boy is this a totally different ball game than the rest of the space 4x games out there. A lot of the 4x games out there followed the Master of Orion concept instead of trying something new, every game looked like the same old things with maybe a small changes here and there. I like how this game tried something new and different instead of having population units being put in "Food, research or manufacturing".

Stellaris and most other games

Peasant works the fields farming for food
Switches her to a physics lab
Peasant is now an Quantum physicist

Honestly i am amazed at how the game works, freighters transporting goods from one part of the empire to another, transports transporting passengers into other colonies, people visiting popular tourist sites in your empire. Even the inter Galactic trade is realistic where freighters from other Empires come and go through your empire transporting essential goods and luxury resources. Hell, i can even create a penal colony on a volcanic world

I would honestly like to thank Eric for making such a wonderful game and i hope Distant Worlds 2 will follow the examples of Distant Worlds 1. Though i would prefer a better looking 2D map than a fancy looking 3D map

< Message edited by LordMM -- 5/29/2016 3:09:52 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: New to Game - This Game is Brilliant - 5/29/2016 4:55:20 AM   
RemoteLeg

Welcome intergalactic traveler.

The level of depth in this game is truly astounding and well worth the effort to understand. Yes, the "retro" interface has certainly been commented upon, but I think that's part of the charm.
There's an enormous thread about what people want in DW version 2, so please throw in your 2 cents when you get the chance.

I'm glad you took the time to check it out.
Enjoy.

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 2
RE: New to Game - This Game is Brilliant - 5/29/2016 8:29:19 PM   
rjord2021

LordMM

Distant Worlds is in my opinion the best 4x game out there and there is so much you can do with it.

If you would like to change the background galaxy map you can go to the install folder Distant Worlds\images\environment\galaxybackdrops , backup galaxy_backdrop.jpg and replace it with another image.

(in reply to RemoteLeg)
Post #: 3
RE: New to Game - This Game is Brilliant - 6/1/2016 11:28:23 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: LordMM

Greetings puny humans

SO after being disappointed at Stellaris after buying the Galaxy edition i came across the 60%off and purchased Distant Worlds.

Ooooh...boy is this a totally different ball game than the rest of the space 4x games out there. A lot of the 4x games out there followed the Master of Orion concept instead of trying something new, every game looked like the same old things with maybe a small changes here and there. I like how this game tried something new and different instead of having population units being put in "Food, research or manufacturing".

Stellaris and most other games

Peasant works the fields farming for food
Switches her to a physics lab
Peasant is now an Quantum physicist

Honestly i am amazed at how the game works, freighters transporting goods from one part of the empire to another, transports transporting passengers into other colonies, people visiting popular tourist sites in your empire. Even the inter Galactic trade is realistic where freighters from other Empires come and go through your empire transporting essential goods and luxury resources. Hell, i can even create a penal colony on a volcanic world

I would honestly like to thank Eric for making such a wonderful game and i hope Distant Worlds 2 will follow the examples of Distant Worlds 1. Though i would prefer a better looking 2D map than a fancy looking 3D map

Welcome to your new addiction for those boring summer days when you could be outside in the sun grilling burgers. Pah, let the peasants tend to the minutia like food preparation(oh hi honey! did I call you a peasant? ono that was simply a metaphor I'm using in a forum post.. wait, wait.. put down the skillet..)as you forge your grand interstellar empire from the humble beginnings of your pre warp society alone on a single rocky homeworld. I might suggest you install the excellent icemania ai mod as it greatly enhances the ai and its subsequent ability to give you a good game which is the point after all.

Also I hope dw2 sticks to a 2d presentation as you can do much with pixel art especially when you add in volumetric type effects for the explosions and such.

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> New to Game - This Game is Brilliant Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI