Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Novice helicopter ASW patrols question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Novice helicopter ASW patrols question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Novice helicopter ASW patrols question - 11/23/2017 8:22:45 PM   
Phoenix100

I'm playing Duellists. Can anyone help - there are various ASW tracks set up and various helicopters patrolling them, the Sea King, for example. They have sonarbuoys on board which I can drop in a pattern etc, but - my question is - when an ASW helicopter is set to patrol a track or zone, with sonar active, does it use some sonar other than the buoys to complete the mission, to actually search sub-surface? Or do I have to manually drop sonarbuoys? A supplementary question - there's no way to program the helicopters to drop a sonarbuoy pattern?

At the moment the helicoptersgo out and patrol up and down their tracks, but what are they actually doing? Just using the naked eye to spot sub-surface vessels? Or do they automatically use some non-sonarbuoy sonar capability if they're set to an ASW mission? Can I just leave them to go back and forth, or do I need to periodically do something (like drop sonarbuoys)?

Many thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Novice helicopter ASW patrols question - 11/23/2017 8:34:36 PM   
Cik

helicopters assigned to an ASW track will patrol in their patrol areas and drop passive/active sonobuoys depending on their logic. if so equipped they will also deploy dipping sonar(s) at intervals and search that way.

also if they have a surface search radar and are using it they can spot diesel/electric subs by detecting snorkels and periscopes with the surface radar and/or their eyeballs.

no you cannot manually program a sonobuoy pattern at this point.

does that help?

< Message edited by Cik -- 11/23/2017 8:36:05 PM >

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 2
RE: Novice helicopter ASW patrols question - 11/23/2017 8:46:04 PM   
Phoenix100

It does. Many thanks. But, mine don't seem to be deploying sonarbuoys automatically. Where do I alter the 'logic' you refer to in order to get them to do that periodically?

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 3
RE: Novice helicopter ASW patrols question - 11/23/2017 9:44:25 PM   
Cik

are they assigned to an ASW mission and do they have sonobuoys onboard?

they should be dropping them periodically as long as they are on-station and the waters they are flying over are not saturated.

post a save if you can if after a few attempts it's still not working and i'll take a look at it.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 4
RE: Novice helicopter ASW patrols question - 11/24/2017 8:20:51 AM   
Phoenix100

Thanks, Cik. They are so assigned and they do have sonobuoys. And they are not in sonobuoy saturated waters. I'll watch them a bit more then post a save if it still doesn't work. Thanks.

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 5
RE: Novice helicopter ASW patrols question - 11/26/2017 9:50:12 PM   
BeirutDude

Might I suggest, if you haven't done so already, turning on the Datalinks and see if they are actively monitoring the sonobuoys that are deployed? I suspect they are. I am not proficient enough with the game/AI to know if they have a maximum number of sonobuoys they can monitor?

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 11/26/2017 9:51:12 PM >

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 6
RE: Novice helicopter ASW patrols question - 11/28/2017 6:52:38 AM   
Marder

Just a guess: maybe you set "display sonobuoys" to "do not show" in the settings?

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Novice helicopter ASW patrols question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI