Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I really want to like this game...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Wars of Succession >> I really want to like this game... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I really want to like this game... - 1/15/2018 12:56:58 PM   
Evander Law

...but my biggest complaint about AGEOD's historical games is there is no tactical/operational play in battles. It's unfulfilling to build up your army and march it off only to have the battle fought by the computer using a non-historical "combat power" rating. I wish I could prove my battlefield tactical skills in the game ....as well as my strategic skills. Again, I really hope to like this game (and will buy it since I love this period) so I'm hoping the rest of the game will give me enough enjoyment that it outweighs the lack of fighting battles myself.
Post #: 1
RE: I really want to like this game... - 1/21/2018 6:51:16 PM   
Philippeatbay

The likely outcome of battles in a game like this should reflect the skills of the historical commanders engaged and the strength of the forces engaged. If you introduce a tactical layer you'll introduce the problem that the Total War series has, where a player's forces (no matter how ineptly led) are supremely comptetant against the AI. It would also mean that all of your forces are equally skilled because you're ordering them around. This completely masks that fact that not all of your subordinate commanders are of equal skill. This would have made Napoleon very happy during the 1813 campaign in Germany where his subordinates kept losing important battles, but makes nonsense out of any attempt at historicity.

Overall strength assessments are not ahistorical per se, very much the opposite. One of the strong points of the Ageod system is that a force's strength fluctuates over time depending on a lot of intangibles, and isn't the result of mindless hardware counting. Tactical and Strategic games don't mix. There are plenty of tactical systems out there if you want to shuffle counters around on the battlefield.

(in reply to Evander Law)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Wars of Succession >> I really want to like this game... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI