Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russian Steel Bug

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Russian Steel Bug Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russian Steel Bug - 12/3/2002 4:17:28 AM   
White Falcon

I just completed the Kolotchny Station scenario in Russian Steel 1.4 -- achieved a decisive victory and captured all except one victory hex in the Southeast corner of the map in the full 18 turns. Every thing looked okay up to the point where the victory summary screen appears. When the next screen appeared where my forces are normally allocated anywhere from 300-600 rebuild points after a battle, I noticed that ZERO rebuild points were allocated to them. After clicking through this screen, the next battle -- without the usual introduction or side notes -- is again Kolotchny Station except this time there are zero support points as well. I deployed my forces thinking that this might a different battle but using the same map. I noticed that all the victory hexes at the start of the battle are Russian controlled except for the same hex in the Southeast corner that I failed to capture in the previous battle. I also noticed that SPWAW crashed anytime I tried to save the game during this battle. I advanced my forces all the way across the map only to discover there are no German forces whatsoever on the map! After the final turn 18, I am again rewarded with a "Decisive Victory" and in the following rebuild phase I get 1700 rebuild points! And now the big problem -- the next battle is the Defense of Dubno! The game looped my vastly improved forces all the way back to the very first battle of Russian Steel! I have no real desire to play all these battles over again (even though with my new force of KVs & -34s would make it very easy this time around) and if I did, I have a feeling this is just an endless loop anyway and I would very much like to get to the next battle that's really supposed to follow after Kolotchny It's important to note that before I played Kolotchny Station the first time, I upgraded SPWAW from 7.0 to 7.1. Has anyone else experienced this problem and is it fixable? And if it isn't, if I should restart Russian Steel all over again in version 7.1, can I avoid this loop? Please advise.
Post #: 1
Happened to me too... - 12/6/2002 6:25:51 AM   
Spenser

getting kolotchny after kolotchny just as you describe.
Can't remember being looped back to Dubno though.
I upgraded RS to 1.4 while playing kolotchny and believed
that to be the problem, so i experimented with reinstalling different versions but when i couldn't fix it i skipped the whole thing and started the Stalingrad campaign instead...

Be nice to have a fix though, had got myself some tank crews with 40+ kills :cool:

Spenser

(in reply to White Falcon)
Post #: 2
re Kolotchny bug - 12/7/2002 1:52:16 AM   
pcarell

:( I have tried RS 3 times and never got past Kolotchny. I re- downloade the campaign and patches but the same loop occurs. This is a bug that needs fixing pronto cause RS is too good to give up on.

Post #: 3
- 12/7/2002 3:55:20 AM   
Frank W.

i´m now past kolotchny station.

i don´t encounter any bug till now.

ecxept a pillbox pointing straight in the woods
instead to the front ;)

Post #: 4
- 1/17/2003 7:09:05 AM   
Anthony_MatrixForum

looking at the file that controls the campaign 'ucamp022.dat' - there seems to be a major problem with scenario '40' (kolonsky station ...sp?) - when you finish , it points you a non existance scenario #41. This was changed from rs1.3 to rs1.4.

I will try to create a 'fixed' version of this file based on what I can see from the pervious versions...

(ps: this can be all seen and fixed when you 'edit campaign' from within spwaw)

Anthony

Post #: 5
- 1/17/2003 7:45:16 AM   
Supervisor

Nice catch Anthony, if you want to fix it, edit campaign scenario 40 to point to scenario 1000 for all results. This is the accepted end campaign scenario SPWAW reconizes as their are no other scenarios to point to at this point. Maybe they didn't expect anyone to make it this far before they could add some more scenarios. Maybe just a small oversight on the creators part also. I'll find him and point it out then kill him.

Post #: 6
- 1/17/2003 10:49:08 AM   
darroch

:(

Hello -

Sorry to find out about this just now. gmenfan was kind enough to email me...

...switched jobs and have had to put hold on RS....

I will review 1.4 and post here by Sunday with my plans...

I have the parts of RS 1.5 - 4 new battles and 4 re-engineered battles (the first 4)...

I want to pacakge them all together and send to Tankhead as a single zip file....

I will advise soon.

Thanks for hanging in there.

Brad

Post #: 7
- 1/17/2003 6:42:01 PM   
Frank W.

i must say RS is getting more and more difficult. i have now completed the kaluga defend i mailed about to you brad.

but the battle after that is also a heavy one, need to buy some truck and inf, (not much for 105 points) to take some of the vic hexes in the german strongpoints, i think. no further arty , seems you must rely on the katjushas you have, but the amunition from them will be gone very fast.

must try this one again :eek:

Post #: 8
- 1/20/2003 10:13:19 AM   
darroch

Hello,

I've finished reviewing everything. Since Rs 1.4 there's been a disk crash and a complete re-installation of operating system...

There are two serious mistakes in the battle-advance codes - I cannot explain how this happened but if you get decisive victories in two of the battles you are sent to a completely wrong battle and end up getting stuck...

The good news is that this is easily fixed.

I also found the four updated battles so that any new RS players will not have to endure those ridiculous airstrikes in Battle 1...

There will be more build points too - these battles have proven to be very difficult and without enough build points the player might get too cautious - which may discourage and frustrate

I hope to have some more news within 2 days - I think I can fix the bad jump code very simply.

Brad

Frank W: your will probably need to buy trucks - the battles are designed so that your AUX plus core force can (barely) handle the enemy forces - but having your infantry and ATGs mobile will help a lot...

Cheers,

Brad

Post #: 9
- 1/23/2003 10:05:41 PM   
Bing

Darroch - If you can fix those airstrikes I would be very interested in playing Russian Steel, will playtest for you if you would like. After all, how many campagins do we have that can be played from the soviet side?

Last time I restarted RS, I got as far as the first airstrike and that was it. Seemed to be a setup to me, with effects way out of proportion to what they should be in game terms.

Can provide backup on Red Army TO&E and equipment, ditto for Soviet air forces equipment, have assembled a nice little library.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

Post #: 10
- 1/24/2003 9:36:59 AM   
darroch

Bing,

In the version I am finalizing the airstrikes in Battle One are reduced to some level bombers in the pre-battle artillery phase.

The presence of 13 planes was a serious oversight. There was a major design philosophy shift half-way through and all the original factors (such as major airstrikes in Bat 1) were not completely eliminated...

I decided to eliminate the planes in favor of the abstracted level bombers so that the player's core only has to worry about the Wehrmacht - not the Luftwaffe too...

The presence of the Luftwaffe is universally disliked in most of the feedback I've received. As a result I have tried to reduce its effects in many battles...

it is still good discipline to avoid clumping units and purchasing and grooming a platton of AA...

When I release the latest revision: Russian Steel 1.5, I hope you'll give it another try. I have included some comments in the introductory text - including a warning that RS is intended to be more difficult than most of the campaigns bundled with SPWAW...

In a way, we'll be disappointed if a player doesn't have to replay at least one or two battles because their core got creamed...not trying to ruin the fun so much as avoid the "this-is-so-easy-its-boring" syndrome....

I'll salute anyone who can clear Kaluga city north of the river in battles 11 and 12 - a real nasty slugfest there...

But I admit in going back over some of these battles that the difficulty level was overdone in several...I've addressed many but not all issues...continued feedback helps.

For players who insist on capturing every VH on the map, there will be some rude surprises in terms of losses. And if you're used to AI campaign games where you can wipe every enemy unit - this is frequently not possible in RS...

Cheers

Brad

I will post here and on tankhead when RS 1.5 is ready

Post #: 11
- 1/24/2003 5:17:40 PM   
Frank W.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by darroch
[B]Bing,

I'll salute anyone who can clear Kaluga city north of the river in battles 11 and 12 - a real nasty slugfest there...

Cheers

Brad

I will post here and on tankhead when RS 1.5 is ready [/B][/QUOTE]

thanx. in the first kaluga scen i took this whole ****in* city. and yeaah: a bloodfeast it was...

Post #: 12
- 1/24/2003 10:20:19 PM   
Bing

Darroch - Congratos for going back, looking at the campaign and thinking through the effects of early events and doing something about them. This is the kind of work we don't often see; once finalized, that is that for most designers.

I felt the airstrike coming so early in the first scenario was enitrely out of proportion. I did disperse my units as much as possible. Many of them were wiped out anyway.

Didn't matter what I did, the game went "Ha!! Gotcha!!", which isn't my style because I feel the player can't do anything about it. Make a certain posiiton difficult to capture, make it so I have to complete a certain task at a certain time, there are other ways to challenge the player.

If the pro-airstrike faction would like it, maybe an airstrike which wipes out ALL their troops and equipment can be arranged. That would really be challenging. Quick play campaign.

For me, the airstrike results discouraged further play. Not the fact there WAS one, the fact it was devastating. Others may give it a standing ovation for all I know. Good for them.

Good for you for doing something about it. I look forward to restarting RS. Those with an interest in the Red Army somtimes wonder if they did indeed win the Great Patriotic War.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -

Post #: 13
- 1/25/2003 12:34:02 PM   
darroch

Frank! Well done - taking the city is an achievement...

I may remove those Stukas in RS 1.5 .... slowly checking over all the battles....taking longer than I thought.

Bing:

The airstrikes were generally added only to ensure the Russian learned and observed good discipline - like dispersing vehicles and not clumping infantry with "HE magnets" like tanks....

This effect should not be at the expense of the player's enjoyment, however, and based on many player's feedback (thanks!) Russian Steel is difficult enough without the random devastation of a Stuka strike....

As I go through these battles once more, I'll be looking for use of airstrikes that are questionable....like the Kaluga battles where they don't really add much to the game play....

Keep up the feedback and I'll keep improving the campaign - it helps in editing previously released battles and also will help with new battles because I can calibrate difficulty levels better...

And, with the long 75s showing up in mid-1942, the German tanks are deadly enough without throwing in the Luftwaffe....

The real effect of airpower is (IMHO) well modelled in SPWAW - if curious, just try and move a column of T-34s across 5 kilometers of open steppe while the German has 20 Hs-123 with anti-armor ordnance.....

Everyone ought to do this once just to see how bad it can get....

Now when I read about battles and they mention the sortie rate, it has a lot more meaning....

At Kursk, on III PzKps front, the Luftwaffe managed over 900 sorties per day for several days - on a frontage roughly the size of the largest SPWAW map (~10 Kms) - Imagine 4-5 airstrikes per 50 meters of front....no wonder the Panzers could advance despite deeply entrenched Russians in multiple defense zones....

Here's a SPWAW scenario: 100 hex map, 200 entrenched Russian units (all kinds, multiple lines, mines), 100 Luftwaffe aircraft, 2 companies of Tigers and some Panzergrenadiers....

Roughly equal to the effect of the 503rd SchwABt and any one of 6, 7, or 19 Panzer down on III PK front....

Whew!!

But, playable??? - No way...

Cheers,

Brad

Post #: 14
- 1/25/2003 7:00:34 PM   
Frank W.

i thin only delete the airstrikes if they are really questionable like in winter or bad weather battles. the russian player must live with that, it was reality IMHO. beginning perhaps in 43 this will change of course.

Post #: 15
- 1/25/2003 9:36:31 PM   
Bing

Perhaps we ought also to move a German armored column in the open with IL-2's in the neighborhood? By 1943 the Red Army TO&E had omitted the standard mobile AA batteries. They were put back in, but it is a measure of the control of the air by the Red Army air forces that it was felt AA was no longer needed.

Turned out there was more life in the Luftwaffe than the Russians realized.

I look forward to the new RS.

Bing

Post #: 16
- 1/31/2003 2:37:49 AM   
darroch

Here is the corrected ucamp file for Russian Steel 1.4...

The two erroneous branchings should be gone as well as some that were yet to be discovered (i.e. you had to fight through Rostov twice...)

unzip, place in campaign folder - to check, if curious, open edit campaign and look at decisive victory for battle 6 - if it says anything but "0007" - it is wrong and I need to know specifics.

RS 1.5 is assembled, in final quality control, and the text writeup is finished so it will be ready in a few weeks - current estimate.

Brad

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
- 1/31/2003 6:13:58 AM   
Frank W.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by darroch
[B].
RS 1.5 is assembled, in final quality control, and the text writeup is finished so it will be ready in a few weeks - current estimate.

Brad [/B][/QUOTE]

you´re the man :)

Post #: 18
- 1/31/2003 10:50:58 AM   
Bing

Does the Russian player get blasted with German air, same as usual? If so, I'll wait.

Bing

Post #: 19
- 1/31/2003 1:15:26 PM   
Jim1954

Bing, it appears so , at least till 1.5 is out.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32252

Post #: 20
- 2/1/2003 5:23:42 AM   
Bing

Thanks, Jim. I"ll wait until the new version is released.

"Oouhr boyhs will nawt fight!"

(He was just trying to keep the lid on, that's all and not have the nation unduly alarmed. The Japanese took care of the our boys fighting, very much so.)

Back to Railroad Tycoon 2.

Bing

Post #: 21
It still has bugs - 2/2/2003 6:55:43 AM   
Supervisor

I still see other problems with scenario linking that lead to dead ends because scenarios don't exist. Such as 31 with a ML-DV will lead to 32,33,34 which don't exist and 40 still leads to 41 which doesn't exist and the only way to get to 40 now is from scenario 34 which I already pointed out doesn't exist.

Post #: 22
- 2/3/2003 6:04:00 AM   
Anthony_MatrixForum

yes that does seem odd, as well as the results for battle #2 (id 0001), where a minor loss will lead to special battle id 0039 and _all_ other results lead to battle id 0002 - if this special battle is a result of performing badly, why doesn't a D. loss also lead there ?? (Just an observation, having fun so far)
Anthony

Post #: 23
- 2/7/2003 6:53:34 PM   
darroch

The patch is just for the first 28 or so battles - specifically the two battles 6 and, 12 I think, that had wrong values for branching...

Rs 1.5 should fill in the blanks.

As for the the battle 2 branch on D Loss - the player skips a battle and goes to a variation of battle 4 I believe.....

Brad

Post #: 24
- 2/7/2003 9:03:46 PM   
Bing

Eagerly awaiting the revised Russian Steel campaign. Trust you will post same as soon as it is available.

I am available for testing, if you need the help Darroch. With the temps 14 below zero Farenheit, I am not going anywhere for a while.

Bing

Post #: 25
- 2/7/2003 10:33:19 PM   
Supervisor

Many of us are looking forward to 1.5, so Brad keep up the great work, we'll all still be here when it's ready. It's been a while since a battle like this has us all so hooked we keep wanting more more more!:D :D :D :D

Post #: 26
- 2/17/2003 10:25:10 PM   
Bing

How goes it? Do I have to go back to Railroad Tycoon 2 or do we have an updated Russian Steel campaign?

Ready to go whenever you are!!

Bing

Post #: 27
- 2/20/2003 10:06:20 AM   
darroch

Bing,

I appreciate your impatience.

I have finalized the first 20 battles. It will be worth the wait if I have been able to wipe out the cosmetic defects that have plagued the early battles...

Plus, now you get more points and there is less Luftwaffe (in fact, none in battle 1 except for level bombers...)

I must do one more pass for error checking to eliminate gross defects.

I'm thinking Saturday it goes to Tankhead - keep your fingers crossed...

Brad

Post #: 28
- 2/20/2003 6:43:33 PM   
Jim1954

Outstanding!!!, your efforts are appreciated.

:D

Jim1954
KMC/T

Post #: 29
- 2/21/2003 12:47:25 AM   
Thrashman

I am having a real problem getting this campaign to work at all. I have downloaded and extracted all versions and updates available and placed them in the campaign dir/.

But when I start SPWAW and try to run this campaign, at the unit selection menu, there is nothing to select under any of the catagories. I am using 7.1.

Any ideas?

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Russian Steel Bug Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI