Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario Testing- The Seto Submarine Scare, 2018

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scenario Testing- The Seto Submarine Scare, 2018 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario Testing- The Seto Submarine Scare, 2018 - 3/28/2018 10:58:09 PM   
SunlitZelkova

The Seto Submarine Scare, 2018

Following an increase in tensions between the US-Japan alliance and China, a number of tariffs and sanctions are put on the latter, and China decides to demonstrate with a show of force that a Cold War- or hot war- with China is not in the West's best interest.

This is in the alpha stage, so feedback/criticism is welcome, especially on how to make it more challenging/interesting. This is also my first scenario intended for public release.

One idea I have is to completely change the story, and instead have a multi-sub operation spanning the entire Inland Sea, during the lull in a Sino-American war. Thoughts? Should that idea be saved for another time or should this scenario be radically changed?

Attachment (1)

Formerly known as Project2035, TyeeBanzai, and FlyForLenin
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario Testing- The Seto Submarine Scare, 2018 - 4/5/2018 2:43:34 PM   
Andrea G

Tried this one.
I was intentionally aggressive; fired the missiles from outside the bay, then barged in to strike the merchants with torpedoes.
In the end I sunk 16 ships, and escaped the bay under a large tanker, hope this was a kind of masking
The asw helos never launched a sonobuoy near me, even if the torpedo explosions gave away my general position.
If you need I have the save game.

(in reply to SunlitZelkova)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario Testing- The Seto Submarine Scare, 2018 - 4/5/2018 3:57:53 PM   
SunlitZelkova

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrea G

Tried this one.
I was intentionally aggressive; fired the missiles from outside the bay, then barged in to strike the merchants with torpedoes.
In the end I sunk 16 ships, and escaped the bay under a large tanker, hope this was a kind of masking
The asw helos never launched a sonobuoy near me, even if the torpedo explosions gave away my general position.
If you need I have the save game.

The JSDF is purposely passive/novice to make it easier. This is more of a quick shoot stuff up scenario, rather than a littoral operations challenge :)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The tanker can be masking, but in my opinion, sinking it (despite taking multiple shots) makes for a great dramatic scene, nothing more exciting than a tanker exploding within eyeball range from peoples homes! Also, the hubbub such a large ship going down would cause will be great material for the news media, and online users seeking views

Thanks for the feedback!

< Message edited by FlyForLenin -- 4/5/2018 4:03:04 PM >

(in reply to Andrea G)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario Testing- The Seto Submarine Scare, 2018 - 4/16/2018 5:04:22 PM   
i224747

What is the meaning of the 2 quarter circles with circle centers at towns "Tokushima" and "Wakayama"? A protection zone, a minefield, a danger zone?

Post #: 4
RE: Scenario Testing- The Seto Submarine Scare, 2018 - 4/16/2018 7:04:50 PM   
SunlitZelkova

quote:

ORIGINAL: i224747

What is the meaning of the 2 quarter circles with circle centers at towns "Tokushima" and "Wakayama"? A protection zone, a minefield, a danger zone?

It is the marker for the area in which the ship can begin docking to the single unit port, it has no relation to the gameplay

(in reply to i224747)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenario Testing- The Seto Submarine Scare, 2018 - 4/16/2018 9:36:35 PM   
i224747

Thxs for the fast reply

Post #: 6
RE: Scenario Testing- The Seto Submarine Scare, 2018 - 4/7/2019 5:10:21 PM   
Scorpion86

Hi there! I just played your mission right now, and I loved the concept. However, I felt that the JSDF was playing too passively. After playing through the scenario the first time, it felt odd that I wasn't discovered because, to be frank, I suck at submarine warfare. It needs too much patience for me.

So I decided to do an experiment: I tried to play as carelessly as possible. Cavitating, making no detours even after firing a boatload of missiles, sailing right under active sonobouys... But still no torpedoes would come. I rose to periscope depth and there were the choppers, dancing above my position. So I took a peek in Editor mode. Switching side, I saw the JSDF had detected me, 0 ambiguity. But still they wouldn't fire! Why? Then I glanced at the engagement rules: Weapons TIGHT. They had detected me, but still had identified me, so I was free to do as I pleased.

So I sugest changing the ASW engagement rules for the Japanese to Weapons FREE. In my briefing it states there is no naval activity in the area, and if I know that, the Japanese know it better than me, so if something starts shooting at civvies in the Seto Inland Sea, it stands to reason they'd be more willing to start shooting at any unknown submarine contact they encounter.

Thank you for your scenario and I hope you find my comments useful!

(in reply to i224747)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenario Testing- The Seto Submarine Scare, 2018 - 4/7/2019 8:16:07 PM   
SunlitZelkova

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scorpion86

Hi there! I just played your mission right now, and I loved the concept. However, I felt that the JSDF was playing too passively. After playing through the scenario the first time, it felt odd that I wasn't discovered because, to be frank, I suck at submarine warfare. It needs too much patience for me.

So I decided to do an experiment: I tried to play as carelessly as possible. Cavitating, making no detours even after firing a boatload of missiles, sailing right under active sonobouys... But still no torpedoes would come. I rose to periscope depth and there were the choppers, dancing above my position. So I took a peek in Editor mode. Switching side, I saw the JSDF had detected me, 0 ambiguity. But still they wouldn't fire! Why? Then I glanced at the engagement rules: Weapons TIGHT. They had detected me, but still had identified me, so I was free to do as I pleased.

So I sugest changing the ASW engagement rules for the Japanese to Weapons FREE. In my briefing it states there is no naval activity in the area, and if I know that, the Japanese know it better than me, so if something starts shooting at civvies in the Seto Inland Sea, it stands to reason they'd be more willing to start shooting at any unknown submarine contact they encounter.

Thank you for your scenario and I hope you find my comments useful!

Hi, thanks for playing my scenario!

One of the reasons the JSDF is pretty dumbed down is because when I was testing the capability of the JSDF to hunt submarines in the Seto Inland Sea, I found an interesting factor in making a scenario- due to the shallow waters (in comparison to the ocean) of the Seto Inland Sea, if the scenario had taken place during daytime, the helicopters would have been able to spot the sub from the air, making the scenario pretty much impossible to play. This might be one of the reasons detection is harder, because they are limited to sensors.

Part of the reason why I choose to have it on "tight" is because of the political considerations of the scenario. If I remember correctly there should be at least a few "real" false contacts or possibly schools of fish. Regardless of if there were or not though, not only would the JSDF and Japanese government want to refrain from using 100000 USD+ torpedoes (expensive torpedoes at any rate) but also if they were to waste the torpedo by jumping to conclusions, it might cause public backlash. Furthermore they could be criticized as "trigger happy". In the worst case scenario, either the torpedo would kill wildlife by impacting them/he/she, or would harm the natural environment in general when it eventually self-destructs. Finally, while if a similar scenario were to happen in real life, the JSDF would probably be able to scramble and start searching for the submarine, they would have to wait for permission from the Prime Minister himself to fire any sort of weapon. Using live weapons against a real target for the first time in JSDF history could be a very long meeting of ministers, even if there is a danger of the submarine escaping.

Also, while the JSDF and Japanese government would likely be able to quickly verify that it is not one of their submarines they have spotted, there is the possibility of American submarines covertly operating in the area. While it would be unlikely that an American submarine would be operating in the area, it is still a possibility, and they would have to confirm there are no US subs in the area either. Depending on how willing the US military and government is to tell another government (no matter how allied they are) the location of their covertly operating submarine, getting confirmation could take awhile.

Even if the JSDF helicopter crews watch as torpedo contacts or visible torpedo wakes, and/or missile contacts or visible missiles appear to "leave from" the submarine, there is still a possibility it happens to be American. As bizarre as it would be to have an American submarine firing on Japanese civilian shipping, they would still probably want to contact the American government before destroying an American submarine (if it was an American submarine).

And even if they can somehow verify that the submarine does not appear to be American, for example, based on how the missiles launch (or on the fact it even has missiles at all), it is possible it is a new type of American submarine that is being kept secret. Again, even if it is firing on Japanese civilian shipping, they would still want to contact the US government before destroying their "new submarine" (if it was an American submarine).

These are the "in world" factors that made me want to have the ROE for ASW weapons set to "tight". You are welcome to use the editor to change it though and then try it in that way.

Thanks for the feedback! I will consider different ROE options in my next scenarios.

(in reply to Scorpion86)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scenario Testing- The Seto Submarine Scare, 2018 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI