Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/7/2019 7:48:37 PM   
Kennetho

Hi guys,

With the upcoming "official" Desert Storm coming out - I wanted to share the scenario I build for myself.

It is the FULL scenarie - divided with a Western Iraq scenario and a KTO & Eastern Iraq scenario.

It is a massive scenario which has taken me a year to research and moderate.

I hope you like it.
Please give me your feed-back on a better gaming experience or units placed wrong geographically or with a wrong name.

How do I upload my scenario??? I get this error message when trying to upload.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kennetho -- 3/7/2019 7:56:05 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/7/2019 8:15:14 PM   
Kennetho

Ah - it has to be a zip file...

Below is my Desert Storm - KTO & Eastern Iraq scenario.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kennetho -- 3/7/2019 8:17:07 PM >

(in reply to Kennetho)
Post #: 2
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/7/2019 8:19:32 PM   
Kennetho

… and here is the Desert Storm Western Iraq scenario.

I would appriciate your feed-back on these.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kennetho)
Post #: 3
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/11/2019 9:51:35 PM   
morphin

I haven't played it. Unlimmited ammo? What are your thoughts about that?

Andy

(in reply to Kennetho)
Post #: 4
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/13/2019 11:31:39 PM   
pjb1

F-4s at Incirlik ready time 1M+1W so wont be ready at all during the scenario?

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 5
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/14/2019 12:50:02 AM   
magi

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjb1

F-4s at Incirlik ready time 1M+1W so wont be ready at all during the scenario?

Geeezz..... there is so much stuff in this scenario i didnt even nitice that.....

(in reply to pjb1)
Post #: 6
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/14/2019 2:29:35 AM   
fatgreta1066

I played A LOT of a previous scenario of this battle that you'd posted. Did you abandon that one? I posted a couple of times on that old thread and never heard back from you.

I found in playing that that the initial strikes were a lot of fun to plan, but once the radars and SAMs were all destroyed it was tough to keep going. Strike packages took heavy, heavy losses when hunting for ground units, and bombing buildings became a bit repetitive. I wonder if this game engine doesn't really handle such massive unit counts very well. Nothing I could do except manually control individual aircraft kept SAMs attached to ground units from killing massive numbers of allied aircraft, way way way more than were shot down in the actual conflict. Similarly, I couldn't figure out a way to send F-117's in without being detected and shot down. When I looked figures up I think I found that none or one of those airplanes was brought down, in this game about half were taken out. And that was after SEAD strikes eliminated 100% of Iraqi radars and fixed SAM sites.

You had set up some pretty cool seeming missions for special forces units to go SCUD hunting but I think in the last version I played they weren't properly configured, or at least I couldn't see how to work them.

I'll take a look at these and see how similar they look to what I remembered. I think that dividing them into two scenarios is a very good idea due to high unit counts.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 7
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/14/2019 2:42:05 AM   
magi

i know you have done a lot of work here..... but your formations and groups are not well done here... it kind of bugs me.....
as i know its very time consuming to make them better so i would be willing to help with this.. if you would like...
you can contact me in messenger as we have chatted the other day...

here is a link to the OOB of naval groups....

http://www.tim-thompson.com/gwobnavy.html

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 8
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/14/2019 3:33:40 AM   
magi

in war east you must adjust the orientation of the piers at Qsar naval base...

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 9
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/15/2019 6:26:23 PM   
fatgreta1066

I notice that you have 5 airbases represented in both the East and the West scenarios. If the idea is to have each scenario be half of the war then that allows for double dipping. The Eastern and Western air commanders both get access to all of those aircraft to use at their discretion.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 10
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/15/2019 6:44:37 PM   
fatgreta1066

In the Western scenario you have a few Badgers at H# readying for an ASuW mission with a ferry loadout. Also 2 Fulcrums in Mosul readying for an AAW patrol with a ferry loadout.

Am I right that you've axed the idea of inserting SF units into Iraq to help hunt SCUDs?

(in reply to fatgreta1066)
Post #: 11
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/16/2019 9:21:31 AM   
pjb1

Approx 50 mins into the western scenario you get a msg regarding grounding of Mirage F.1s, I can find none of these aircraft on the player side.

Post #: 12
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/16/2019 10:02:43 PM   
fatgreta1066

Last year he posted this as one massive scenario and that event was part of the scenario. It may be that when chopping them in half he forgot to disable that event. IIRC the Mirage F.1s were based in the eastern part of Arabia so they may be present in the Eastern scenario.

(in reply to pjb1)
Post #: 13
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/17/2019 4:17:46 PM   
Kennetho

Hi guys,

Historically, these F-4s weren't ready before the last week of the war. So it's in compliance with historic events.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 14
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/17/2019 4:18:57 PM   
Kennetho

Hi pjb,

Yeah right, it's a "left over" from when my East and West scenario was one.

(in reply to pjb1)
Post #: 15
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/17/2019 4:56:14 PM   
Kennetho

Hi fatgreta,

You're totally correct, the metrics of the game is quite different from what happened back in 91.
But then again, it wouldn't be fun to play if the Iraqis rolled over as they did in the Gulf War?

Yeah, this scenario is all about patience, committing the right force at the right time and not put all forces up at the same time.

But as you mention, there a so many things you want to emulate from historic events, that just isn't possible in the game.

1) F-117 aren't stealth!!!

2) Although you shut down the radars, SAMs still shoot with large accuracy. As I understand from my research, targeting planes with search radar embedded in the Sa-2 and SA-6 would be the same as looking through a straw.

3) The LGB's with BLU109 doesn't penetrate hardened hangers.

4) Jamming doesn't seem to have any effect at all.

If I don't micromanage every single engagement my planes are shot down left and right. Even if the loadout is long range guided weapons like AGM-123 Skipper, the planes will stray into SAM range.

I can't get my planes to stay at high altitude when the engage, which were one of the BASICS during the first stage of the air war, the descend to predefined altitude 12.000 feet.
Also helicopters - in particular my Marine AH-1 Cobras from MAG-50 - are suffering a lot when venturing into KTO, so I decided to keep them out of the battle.

About the Special Forces...
Yeah, in my original scenario I had all the SF's lined up for insertion behind enemy lines - ready for intel gathering, laser targeting and SCUD detection. I just couldn't get it to work. The unit didn't load into the chopper.
J-STAR and RF-4s do a great job detecting ground units, so I decided to take the SF units out of the newest scenarion.

I hope to hear your input soon on your experience from this game. I'll be posting a version 1.2 VERY soon. I have particularly had focus on ARMY helicopter units (although they played little part of the strategic air campaign the first month of the war)

BR
Kenneth

Post #: 16
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/17/2019 5:03:04 PM   
Kennetho

quote:

ORIGINAL: magi

i know you have done a lot of work here..... but your formations and groups are not well done here... it kind of bugs me.....
as i know its very time consuming to make them better so i would be willing to help with this.. if you would like...
you can contact me in messenger as we have chatted the other day...

here is a link to the OOB of naval groups....

http://www.tim-thompson.com/gwobnavy.html

Hi,
Thanks for your input - I appriciate that.
I guess you're referring to the naval formations as air should be 99,9% correct?

Well, the focus of this scenario is the air campaign. Actually the full title of the scenarios (on my own computer) is Desert Storm - the strategic air campaign.
That being said I actually created to naval groups according to the link that you also supplied above.

Only the carrier groups are grouped in one group in stead of individual groups. However, the only "function" the naval forces have in this scenario is as launch platforms for planes and TLAMs. And then again you may choose to use the navy to hunt the Iraqi naval units down. Beware of the mines though.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 17
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/17/2019 5:03:42 PM   
Kennetho

quote:

ORIGINAL: fatgreta1066

I played A LOT of a previous scenario of this battle that you'd posted. Did you abandon that one? I posted a couple of times on that old thread and never heard back from you.

I found in playing that that the initial strikes were a lot of fun to plan, but once the radars and SAMs were all destroyed it was tough to keep going. Strike packages took heavy, heavy losses when hunting for ground units, and bombing buildings became a bit repetitive. I wonder if this game engine doesn't really handle such massive unit counts very well. Nothing I could do except manually control individual aircraft kept SAMs attached to ground units from killing massive numbers of allied aircraft, way way way more than were shot down in the actual conflict. Similarly, I couldn't figure out a way to send F-117's in without being detected and shot down. When I looked figures up I think I found that none or one of those airplanes was brought down, in this game about half were taken out. And that was after SEAD strikes eliminated 100% of Iraqi radars and fixed SAM sites.

You had set up some pretty cool seeming missions for special forces units to go SCUD hunting but I think in the last version I played they weren't properly configured, or at least I couldn't see how to work them.

I'll take a look at these and see how similar they look to what I remembered. I think that dividing them into two scenarios is a very good idea due to high unit counts.

Hi fatgreta,

You're totally correct, the metrics of the game is quite different from what happened back in 91.
But then again, it wouldn't be fun to play if the Iraqis rolled over as they did in the Gulf War?

Yeah, this scenario is all about patience, committing the right force at the right time and not put all forces up at the same time.

But as you mention, there a so many things you want to emulate from historic events, that just isn't possible in the game.

2) Although you shut down the radars, SAMs still shoot with large accuracy. As I understand from my research, targeting planes with search radar embedded in the Sa-2 and SA-6 would be the same as looking through a straw.

If I don't micromanage every single engagement my planes are shot down left and right. Even if the loadout is long range guided weapons like AGM-123 Skipper, the planes will stray into SAM range.

I can't get my planes to stay at high altitude when the engage, which were one of the BASICS during the first stage of the air war, the descend to predefined altitude 12.000 feet.
Also helicopters - in particular my Marine AH-1 Cobras from MAG-50 - are suffering a lot when venturing into KTO, so I decided to keep them out of the battle.

Yeah, in my original scenario I had all the SF's lined up for insertion behind enemy lines - ready for intel gathering, laser targeting and SCUD detection. I just couldn't get it to work. The unit didn't load into the chopper.
J-STAR and RF-4s do a great job detecting ground units, so I decided to take the SF units out of the newest scenarion.

I hope to hear your input soon on your experience from this game. I'll be posting a version 1.2 VERY soon. I have particularly had focus on ARMY helicopter units (although they played little part of the strategic air campaign the first month of the war)

BR
Kenneth
quote:

Hi fatgreta, You're totally correct, the metrics of the game is quite different from what happened back in 91. But then again, it wouldn't be fun to play if the Iraqis rolled over as they did in the Gulf War? Yeah, this scenario is all about patience, committing the right force at the right time and not put all forces up at the same time. But as you mention, there a so many things you want to emulate from historic events, that just isn't possible in the game. 1) F-117 aren't stealth!!! 2) Although you shut down the radars, SAMs still shoot with large accuracy. As I understand from my research, targeting planes with search radar embedded in the Sa-2 and SA-6 would be the same as looking through a straw. 3) The LGB's with BLU109 doesn't penetrate hardened hangers. 4) Jamming doesn't seem to have any effect at all. If I don't micromanage every single engagement my planes are shot down left and right. Even if the loadout is long range guided weapons like AGM-123 Skipper, the planes will stray into SAM range. I can't get my planes to stay at high altitude when the engage, which were one of the BASICS during the first stage of the air war, the descend to predefined altitude 12.000 feet. Also helicopters - in particular my Marine AH-1 Cobras from MAG-50 - are suffering a lot when venturing into KTO, so I decided to keep them out of the battle. About the Special Forces... Yeah, in my original scenario I had all the SF's lined up for insertion behind enemy lines - ready for intel gathering, laser targeting and SCUD detection. I just couldn't get it to work. The unit didn't load into the chopper. J-STAR and RF-4s do a great job detecting ground units, so I decided to take the SF units out of the newest scenarion. I hope to hear your input soon on your experience from this game. I'll be posting a version 1.2 VERY soon. I have particularly had focus on ARMY helicopter units (although they played little part of the strategic air campaign the first month of the war) BR Kenneth

Post #: 18
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/17/2019 5:06:02 PM   
Kennetho

quote:

ORIGINAL: morphin

I haven't played it. Unlimmited ammo? What are your thoughts about that?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thx for your input.
In my research I didn't encounter anything on lack of munitions. Even in the last days of the war expensive LGB were used for killing tanks in "tank plinking" missions by heavy bombers such as F-111s and F-15s.

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 19
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/17/2019 5:09:30 PM   
Kennetho

quote:

ORIGINAL: fatgreta1066

In the Western scenario you have a few Badgers at H# readying for an ASuW mission with a ferry loadout. Also 2 Fulcrums in Mosul readying for an AAW patrol with a ferry loadout.

Am I right that you've axed the idea of inserting SF units into Iraq to help hunt SCUDs?

Hmm, will look into the Badgers and Fulcrums U mention.
Concerning SFs, see my answer below/above (wherever it is )

Post #: 20
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/17/2019 5:10:50 PM   
Kennetho

quote:

ORIGINAL: magi

in war east you must adjust the orientation of the piers at Qsar naval base...

Hmm, never thought of that.
Thx

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 21
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/21/2019 8:36:32 AM   
PN79

quote:

Actually it is not that way. Originally SA-1 and SA-2 were designed in time when nobody counted with ARMs and these systems has mode sector search to independently search for targets. SA-2 was even originally placed without accompanying search radar. But this mode is magnet for ARMs so it was not used since threat of ARMs was known.

SA-3 and SA-4 need accompanying radar for target location but still have some limited ability to search for targets on their own.

SA-5 is the system really dependent on accompanying radar and is practically unable to work without it.

SA-6 and SA-8 have actually two different and separate radars on their vehicles (currently not properly represented in game) which operate independently from each other. Both have search radar and engagement radar. They are still working with outside accompanying radar as this one provides first information about target then vehicle search radar is activated to provide exact data for engagement radar. Once the engagement radar catches target the vehicle search radar can be turned off.

(in reply to Kennetho)
Post #: 22
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/22/2019 4:28:44 PM   
fatgreta1066

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kennetho

Hi fatgreta,

Jamming definitely has an effect, go into the editor and switch to the Iraqi side to see how many radars are jammed.

SAMs have 2 types of radars, search and fire control. Often HARM's only take out the search radar. If the fire control radar remains operational and your plane is identified and in range, the missiles can still fire. I learned that lesson many times, all the hard way.

I had the same experience with Stealth fighters, they get annihilated and I can't figure out a way to get that to stop. I've tried many different mission profiles, and even after all of the radars and SAM emplacements are taken out they get shot down by what I think are probably hand held SAMs or AAA?

There is a way to set what altitude you planes will fly, you have to wait until the mission is formed and then do to each waypoint. The default is given in the loadout screen. I'd love to be able to manipulate those settings somehow other than waypoint to waypoint

I also suffered horrendous helicopter losses. I suspect that the game scale doesn't model those engagement very effectively.

(in reply to Kennetho)
Post #: 23
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/22/2019 4:30:15 PM   
fatgreta1066

It's kind of bad timing for this scenario that Command: Desert Storm is coming out soon. I'll be interested to see in what ways they're the same and different.

Post #: 24
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 3/22/2019 8:18:25 PM   
Dimitris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kennetho

Each of those should work. When easy, can you make a new thread for each issue on the Tech Support forum, with a suitable save for each? We'd like to take a look. Thanks.

(in reply to Kennetho)
Post #: 25
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 4/6/2019 9:06:26 AM   
pjb1

In the Western scenario 2 issues. At Incirlik the F-16s and F-4s are both using the same call signs(minor). Iraqi airfields seem to be doubled, 2 sets of all facilities.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 26
RE: Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario - 4/7/2019 1:53:35 AM   
magi

Quote.....
“There is a way to set what altitude you planes will fly, you have to wait until the mission is formed and then do to each waypoint. The default is given in the loadout screen. I'd love to be able to manipulate those settings somehow other than waypoint to waypoint”

There are a number of simple ways to keep your air assets at a given elevation… One.. in their assigned mission in the editor there are boxes that you can enter the elevation you want them to traverse at..... or when you launch them you can choose an elevation and they will stay at that elevation until they get to do their mission area or defined elevation at a waypoint point ......

Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Desert Storm - The FULL historic Scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI