Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allied Strategy: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Bombers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Allied Strategy: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Bombers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allied Strategy: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and ... - 7/11/2019 3:10:08 AM   
HamburgerMeat

This is a guide on how to play the Allies (patch 1.03). I know that there are a lot of Allied players out there who feel that a competent Axis player cannot be beaten. As of 1.03, I suspect that, at the highest levels of play, it is actually the Axis who are now at a disadvantage (I still need to play a few games to confirm this.)

I'll be updating this with more strategies and other info down the road. It's still very much a work in progress.

You need to keep up in research to win the game. The problem is that you have to maintain a balance between spending MPP (on reinforcing / building units) to stay alive presently and MPP (on research) to win the game eventually. Still, the following paragraphs should give you an idea what to prioritize on research:

WHAT TO RESEARCH FOR EACH POWER:

USSR –

Drop advanced aircraft, you’ll be relying on anti air guns and upgrades to fight back against airpower. I’d also drop production tech

Top priority is x2 chit in Infantry Weapons. Put another research chit in it after you finished level 1. Don’t worry about the ~87 MPP loss, it’s worth it. Having level 2 infantry weapons when Barbarossa starts is crucial.

You’ll also want x2 chits in Anti Air (but not before you build an engineer)
x1 infantry warfare
x2 chits in command & control

Finally, it’s a tossup between advanced tanks and anti-tank. I’m not sure about this one. I think that it’s still better to go for advanced tanks (since you’ll want to be counter punching) but if you prefer to defend at all costs, then anti tank might be better. I wouldn’t do both (at least not until the USSR has stabilized)

China –

Drop advanced aircraft. Ground that aircraft. Use him as a shift-click buddy help move your units into hexes.

x2 chit in Infantry Weapons ASAP. When you get to level 1, upgrade your frontline (by shift-clicking then into a non-frontline position) before putting in your second chit.

x1 infantry warfare

Ideally, you’ll also want x2 chit in command & control and x2 in anti-air. The problem is that the Japanese won’t be sitting idly by. A good Japanese player will push as hard as possible, and you’ll want to be “cycling” your units as the Chinese as much as possible (more discussion on “cycling” in a bit). So when you think you can, go ahead and put in the chits. Just don’t risk destabilizing your entire line.

France –

Poland -
☹☹☹

India –

Assuming that you’ve brought India into the war immediately (which seems like the better idea, since you’ll be getting a lot more MPPS), then the priority should be:

X2 ground attack
X2 long-ranged aircraft

Command and control is worth it, but you might not have the luxury to afford putting chits into it immediately (since you’ll want some actual bombers most likely). I like to use India as a supplemental bomber force.

UK –

This is the trickiest, since it depends on what Germany is doing. Like China, you’ll want to balance your MPP between reinforcement/production and research. Still, you’ll always want:
x2 Infantry Weapons
x2 command and control
x2 advanced aircraft

x1 anti aircraft

When you can afford it:
x2 ground attack or x2 heavy bomber, whichever you prefer. You’ll want both eventually though
x2 long-ranged
x2 advanced tank way down the road

USA –

Priority order should look something like this:

x2 Industrial Tech
x2 S&I
x2 Heavy bombers
x2 long-ranged aircraft
x2 ground attack
x2 advanced tank
x2 advanced aircraft
x2 logistics
make sure that aerial warfare comes out around the time the US enters the war, and armored warfare when you’re ready to land.
IMO production tech isn’t worth it. Maybe someone who is better at counting beans than I am can prove otherwise.

CYCLING

You don’t want to be buying infantry units at full price as the allies (not until 1942 at least - paratroopers and shock armies being exceptions). Only build them after they’re destroyed with 6 or more supply. When you do rebuild them, upgrade them at the production list screen (since the upgrades will be discounted too).

This is key for China. You want the Japanese to have to fight for every mountain hex. Cover each mountain hex with a corp/army. Try to make sure they’re still getting supplied. When morale gets low on the frontline, control-click them away from the frontline in order to recuperate. Low morale units = tasty XP.

STRATEGIES

Allied strategy depends on what the axis player does. It’s reactionary. There’s no one strategy that always applies. Generally, you’ll want the following conditions when you attack as the western allies + Indians:

1. Western allied + Indian airforce can get supplied and stay in range to hit axis units
2. You can land your units
3. Axis can’t quickly respond (either by attacking where they don’t have a railline, or cutting off / reducing the supply of the railline)
4. Knock out a minor power.

For example, landing in France is great for conditions 1 and 2. However, it’s so interconnected that it’s difficult to prevent the germans from simply operating their units over, annihilating your land units, then operating over back to the USSR.

I’d say that Spain is a better place to land than France. You blow up the rails at the northeast corner with your strategic bombers (and/or cut them off with amphibious landings), cut off the ports with your navy, then use your other forces to kill the remaining occupants. After taking Spain, then you can think about taking France.

The circumstances of the best place to land depend on how the game is going. Did you win/lose the middle east? Is China still a relevant enough of a player to bother saving? The turn the USA enters the war, take a good hour or two to look at the map. Really take the time to think about where you want to hit. Take a look at your production table and think about how long it will take to get your forces in position. After all, the first attack by the USA will likely decide whether the game continues or not.

SPECIFIC SCENARIOS:

1: The Germans have landed in the middle east!

This is probably the most common one I’ve seen. There are three ways to try to fight this, and they’re not all mutually exclusive:

a. Try to prevent them from landing in the first place.

There are three ports that the Italians control in North Africa. When Italy declares war, use the French and British navies to lower the ports’ supply values as low as possible. Attack with battleships initially. Use your carriers to take out as much of the Italian navy as possible. Leave at least 2 naval units at the port to lower it by 1 supply the following turn. As long as the port value is below 5, they can’t land troops by standard transports.

Germany will likely counter by trying to land at Algeria and Tunisia. Keep some ships at Algeria. You can’t stop him from taking Tunisia, but you can still attack that port as well. Some german players will also try to amphibiously land an HQ onto north Africa, then fly/operate in aircraft.

The problem with this strategy is that the Luftwaffe will be hunting down your ships in the Mediterranean. That’s why you want to lower the value of the ports as much as possible before France falls. Don’t lose too many ships, and above all else, don’t lose your battleships and carriers. You may want to invest in motor torpedo boats.

Another possible problem is that this opens you up to a sealion attack. You’ll have to delicately balance how much of the royal navy you use in the Mediterranean, and how much you keep back at England.

b. Thermopylae in Egypt – “Come and get them”

You’ll probably want to build an engineer as soon as the game starts, and another strategic bomber. Bring him over and make a huge chokepoint using the depression. When the axis come, use your battleships to attack any towns that you can along the shore (to lower supply). Use your strategic bombers to blow up their supply as well. Keep the oasis town down as well
A determined German will still take it (assuming you let him control the ports), but you’ll make him bleed.
Also, if you devote too many resources to Egypt, you’re asking for a sealion invasion.

c. Take the fight to them

You’ll want to do this in conjunction with the first method, and only when you’re comfortable with the mechanics of the game. With the use of your navy and strategic bombers, keep the supply of his ports and relevant towns down as the British forces sweep over the Italians, before the Germans can come in force. Using the naval/tactical setting on your carriers, target the Italian HQ and blow it to oblivion, damage to your aircraft be damned.
As always, be careful of sealion.

< Message edited by HamburgerMeat -- 7/11/2019 12:24:17 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Allied Strategy: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying ... - 7/11/2019 3:10:32 AM   
HamburgerMeat

<reserved for future space>

(in reply to HamburgerMeat)
Post #: 2
RE: Allied Strategy: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying ... - 7/11/2019 3:10:42 AM   
HamburgerMeat

Post #: 3
RE: Allied Strategy: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying ... - 7/11/2019 3:10:51 AM   
HamburgerMeat

Post #: 4
RE: Allied Strategy: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying ... - 7/11/2019 3:11:00 AM   
HamburgerMeat

Post #: 5
RE: Allied Strategy: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying ... - 7/11/2019 3:14:04 AM   
HamburgerMeat

Post #: 6
RE: Allied Strategy: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying ... - 7/11/2019 11:48:36 AM   
wevilc

Interesting. A like button would be useful on this forum.

Post #: 7
RE: Allied Strategy: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying ... - 7/11/2019 1:50:19 PM   
Judgementday

Great post HamburgerMeat.

However, having only played a couple of 1.3 games, and MANY 1.2, 1.3 defiantly was a boost to the Allies, but only marginally. Although the Shock Armies production delay to 3 is probably a sever death nail for an already doomed country. The two core to account for it is probably an overall Axis benefit. The last thing USSR needed.

Brittan can delay the Axis in the med, but will never stop them. Axis air will easily clear the way and bleed the British Navy severely if they try to contest. Axis Armor will push through the low moral and out teched British defenders. Or as you already know, Operation Sealion is a very viable option, probably working 50% of the time, if not more. Which is pretty much game over before 42.

The HQ supply changes, which seem to be the biggest change to game play, appear to have no to minimum impact to Japan, at least early on. The Japanize HQ are going to be in Cities anyway. It May come into play in USSR when Germany has decimated the south and starts to struggle when deep into the Motherland, which at that point is too late for USSR.

I certainly think "As of 1.03, I suspect that, at the highest levels of play, it is actually the Axis who are now at a disadvantage" is way to early to call and from what I see not even close to reality. Perhaps I'm just at the lower level of play.

(in reply to wevilc)
Post #: 8
RE: Allied Strategy: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying ... - 7/11/2019 1:58:43 PM   
HamburgerMeat

It's just a suspicion. I need to put my theory to the test against an advanced axis player with a game starting from 1.03.

I'll update as necessary if I change my opinion

(in reply to Judgementday)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Allied Strategy: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Bombers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI