Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thanks for all the advice.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Thanks for all the advice. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thanks for all the advice. - 9/18/2019 10:16:25 PM   
jagsdomain

Just in general. There is so much to know.
I found out you can airlift troops with cats and how to do it. So thanks!!!

Dec 14 not going to try and hold Rabal. Try and hold Tuligi? Or just go to Espreto?
Post #: 1
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/18/2019 10:30:09 PM   
RangerJoe

Against the computer, yes you can hold Tulagi. Against a human? Nope, because they will come with a big hammer. Let the Human Japanese player over extend then crush him, bypassing bases and leaving units (or at least the heavy elements) to wither.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 2
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/18/2019 11:23:09 PM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: jagsdomain

Just in general. There is so much to know.
I found out you can airlift troops with cats and how to do it. So thanks!!!

Dec 14 not going to try and hold Rabal. Try and hold Tuligi? Or just go to Espreto?

It's a good idea to start building Milne Bay - Use Australian troops, withdraw from Lae, Buna, etc. to Milne Bay. Start building Tulagi with NZ troops. Use some PPs.

You should have the "Pensacola" convoy near by Samoa. Decide if you shall use those troops on the WC-Australia communication line or send them forward as per RL. If you intend to fight for the Philippines do not forget the Australian and Dutch troops south of the Phillys.

Tulagi can be held, even against a human opponent, but you need to rush in units that can build airfields. Do not forget some coastal artillery units otherwise the Japanese shall (naval) bombard your airfields at will. That goes for everywhere.

Good luck!

Fred

P.S.: I have an AAR thread going - Rookie II - here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4489704&mpage=4&key=&

If you read it from the beginning you should get an idea of how a naughty human Japanese opponent can manhandle you. Or how the Allies can organize a forward defense. As Joe writes, everything is easier against the AI. Too easy. But you have to play the AI first to learn the tricks.

< Message edited by Leandros -- 9/18/2019 11:28:27 PM >

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 3
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/18/2019 11:34:24 PM   
RangerJoe

Yes, against a human you can build "speed bumps" to slow the Japanese down. If they really want to take a fortified position, then can but it will tie them down and they will then not be pushing elsewhere. But unless you play a really forward defense, which can backfire badly, let the Japanese over extend. Then, especially if you can sink enemy first line carriers, you can start crushing him earlier than waiting for CV parity or better.

The best advice, hit him where he ain't, especially early.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 4
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/18/2019 11:58:53 PM   
geofflambert

Holding and building up New Caledonia is key. Noumea especially, in part because it's malaria free (the rest of the island isn't).

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/19/2019 2:09:10 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Holding and building up New Caledonia is key. Noumea especially, in part because it's malaria free (the rest of the island isn't).

I think like the lizard...

...and King (perhaps).

I would recommend to reinforce in concentric lines first and incrementally move forward to be able to counter attack when development / supplies / opportunities arise.

Verses the AI this may be deemed conservative. Verses a PBEM most experienced players start with securing lines to New Zealand first and foremost and further south(I think)

Noumea >> Suva >> Fiji Islands >> Pago Pago >> Christmas Island >> Palmyra - SLOC from USA to Australia

Luganville >> Fanutti (spelling) >> Vepututi (spelling) >> Canton Island

Esperito Santos (spelling) >> Tabitewa (spelling) the dot base south of Tarawa that can be well developed >> Baker >> Johnson

These sort of lines in the globe - support by RECON RECON RECON and more RECON - will allow you to prepare and develop plans to invade and support ...

1) Tarawa 2) Guadalcanal 3) Ocean Island etc

On the New Guinea Coast - it will depend on what AI variant is thrown at you.

Many experts indicate you can hold - no problem - I understand the comment...

But even on historical difficulty some AI variants will throw too much at the player to hold Port Moresby. The AI will come and come and come with Transport fleets - Battleship and Cruiser Squadrons - Bombard - and raid down the Aussie coast with a mini KB of 2 -3 Carriers. You have very few response to this level of commitment without undue risk.

You should be able to put an Aussie Division and/or rebuild a division in Port Moresby - add ENG and base support - and even put your early fighters there. You should be able to hold in many instances - but the AI variant will challenge you so some degree - and in perhaps couple of variants - beyond your capability - or if you do hold at the least merely survive with depleted resources and no capability to "project force"

Port Moresby first and foremost - and build it up - and support with supplies.

Then Milne and the base north of PM

< Message edited by Macclan5 -- 9/19/2019 2:22:01 PM >

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 6
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/19/2019 2:29:53 PM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

quote:

...and King (perhaps).

I would tend to reinforce in concentric lines first and incrementally move forward to be able to counter attack when development / supplies / opportunities arise.

Verses the AI this may be deemed conservative. Verses a PBEM most experienced players start with securing lines to New Zealand first and foremost and further south(I think)

Noumea >> Fiji Islands >> Pago Pago >> Christmas Island >> Palmyra - SLOC from USA to Australia

Esperito Santos (spelling) >> Tabitewa (spelling) the dot base south of Tarawa that can be well developed >> Baker

These sort of lines in the globe - support by RECON RECON RECON and more RECON - will allow you to prepare and develop plans to invade and support ...

An alternative is to do the opposite even if I do not think that is wise for newcomers. Concentrate as much as possible as far forward as possible to slow down the attacker so that follow-up reserves can position themselves as far forward as possible. In such a case one cannot sit back to maximise savings of the naval resources.

To do this one has to press the allies to participate accordingly. It is my distinct feeling that most of the players here do not properly consider the potential of the allied forces - the Dutch and the Anzacs - combined with US (and Anzacs returning from the Middle East) arrivals.

Fred

Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 7
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/19/2019 5:03:12 PM   
pontiouspilot

I agree with lizard on Noumea. If you can Espiratu/Loganville too, along with Suva. They act to support each other. Loganville can be quickly developed with the right engineers. It can also be just a touch too far for Japan against an aggressive and well prepared allied player.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 8
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/19/2019 9:48:51 PM   
jagsdomain

quote:

quote:

...and King (perhaps).

I would recommend to reinforce in concentric lines first and incrementally move forward to be able to counter attack when development / supplies / opportunities arise.

Noumea >> Suva >> Fiji Islands >> Pago Pago >> Christmas Island >> Palmyra - SLOC from USA to Australia

Esperito Santos (spelling) >> Tabitewa (spelling) the dot base south of Tarawa that can be well developed >> Baker >> Johnson

On the New Guinea Coast - it will depend on what AI variant is thrown at you.

Many experts indicate you can hold - no problem - I understand the comment...

But even on historical difficulty some AI variants will throw too much at the player to hold Port Moresby. The AI will come and come and come with Transport fleets - Battleship and Cruiser Squadrons - Bombard - and raid down the Aussie coast with a mini KB of 2 -3 Carriers. You have very few response to this level of commitment without undue risk.

You should be able to put an Aussie Division and/or rebuild a division in Port Moresby - add ENG and base support - and even put your early fighters there. You should be able to hold in many instances - but the AI variant will challenge you so some degree - and in perhaps couple of variants - beyond your capability - or if you do hold at the least merely survive with depleted resources and no capability to "project force"

Port Moresby first and foremost - and build it up - and support with supplies.

Then Milne and the base north of PM

I started to airlift everyone out of Rabal and the island above it. After doing that I don't think they will invade anytime soon. I sent the Lex strafe across the Pacifit to truck and sunk alot of cargo and troops ships.
Soooo looks like I might have been able to keep it after all but they are bombing it with bettys.
kB is still inching its way past Midway so I know they are nowhere to be found. Dont know why the AI keeps KB at pearl for almost a week.

Eventualy the Lex and E will end up at Townsville were I am keeping ky fleet till I need them.
I have force Z at least 15 dd and several crusier at Serbyaia in Java. Nit sure if keeping them there for an all out fight when its time. Or send them or part of them to PM. I will have 40 p40 at PM by the time Rabal is invaded.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 9
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/19/2019 9:52:12 PM   
jagsdomain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leandros

quote:

quote:

...and King (perhaps).

I would tend to reinforce in concentric lines first and incrementally move forward to be able to counter attack when development / supplies / opportunities arise.

Noumea >> Fiji Islands >> Pago Pago >> Christmas Island >> Palmyra - SLOC from USA to Australia

Esperito Santos (spelling) >> Tabitewa (spelling) the dot base south of Tarawa that can be well developed >> Baker

An alternative is to do the opposite even if I do not think that is wise for newcomers. Concentrate as much as possible as far forward as possible to slow down the attacker so that follow-up reserves can position themselves as far forward as possible. In such a case one cannot sit back to maximise savings of the naval resources.

To do this one has to press the allies to participate accordingly. It is my distinct feeling that most of the players here do not properly consider the potential of the allied forces - the Dutch and the Anzacs - combined with US (and Anzacs returning from the Middle East) arrivals.

Fred

I wanted to start a new US base at the Canal. How to I drop and engineer to start it? How do you know ahead of time what the Air and Navel size could be?

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 10
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/19/2019 9:54:20 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I sent the Lex strafe across the Pacifit to truck and sunk alot of cargo and troops ships.

You must be playing the AI. In a PBEM you'd have most likely lost your CV. Need to be careful not to pick up too many bad habits vs. the AI if you ever intend to PBEM.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 11
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/19/2019 10:02:41 PM   
RangerJoe

You could send the Lady Lex and the Big E to the DEI and really mess up the AI.

― Julia Child

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 12
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/19/2019 10:06:19 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

No doubt.

If you want any kind of decent game against a Japanese AI in Scen 1 or 2. Just let it do what it wants for about the first six months. After that you may pummel it.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 13
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/19/2019 10:53:40 PM   
jagsdomain

quote:

I dont know hiw Dutch units are but I am thinking East Indes can be held.
Japs attacked Malaya fast but no were near Sing maybe my subs hurt them enough. The landed on the Brit bases on the island next to it.
If there will be a next game I will spend all political points and pull out all the fighters.

I just got the Tigers and not sure if I should defend rangoon to send them all to mainlamd China. The choices!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 14
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/20/2019 2:04:35 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

I dont know hiw Dutch units are but I am thinking East Indes can be held.
Japs attacked Malaya fast but no were near Sing maybe my subs hurt them enough. The landed on the Brit bases on the island next to it.
If there will be a next game I will spend all political points and pull out all the fighters.

I just got the Tigers and not sure if I should defend rangoon to send them all to mainlamd China. The choices!

China lacks the supply to sustain air operations. It's OK to send the AVG fighters there occasionally for a CAP trap against Japanese bombing raids, but they will need to be withdrawn to repair aircraft cumulative damage. If you can hold Rangoon and get supply convoys through, that is the best way to help China.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 15
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/20/2019 12:00:00 PM   
Ian R

quote:

I have force Z at least 15 dd and several crusier at Serbyaia in Java. Nit sure if keeping them there for an all out fight when its time.

If you still Have POW & Repulse, send them off map to the Eastern US and leave them there until they do all their AAA upgrades. At that point, they are not quite equivalent to your Sodaks, but much more effective than they are now.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 16
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/20/2019 1:00:31 PM   
Sardaukar

PoW is about best "flak ship" to add to CV TF in early war.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 17
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/20/2019 4:10:24 PM   
jagsdomain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

quote:

I have force Z at least 15 dd and several crusier at Serbyaia in Java. Nit sure if keeping them there for an all out fight when its time.

If you still Have POW & Repulse, send them off map to the Eastern US and leave them there until they do all their AAA upgrades. At that point, they are not quite equivalent to your Sodaks, but much more effective than they are now.

Can the upgrade be done at pearl? Is that why I should send the BB back to SF?

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 18
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/20/2019 5:10:33 PM   
Leandros

quote:

quote:

quote:

When you click the "update" link of the various ships' (lower right side of the ship meny) it states how large shipyard you need to have the job done. Each base that has a ship wharf has noted the size of the wharf. Colombo might be able to take the job, or Sydney. Colombo is size 40, Sydney is 30.

On the ship's menu you also find how long time the job is expected to take.

Fred

< Message edited by Leandros -- 9/20/2019 5:15:23 PM >

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 19
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/21/2019 3:01:44 PM   
rustysi

Hopefully someone will confirm/deny.

Use caution 'upgrading' ships that are due to withdraw. IIRC they can't be withdrawn while the 'upgrade' is in progress, and this will cost you PP's.

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 20
RE: Thanks for all the advice. - 9/21/2019 3:59:50 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Some upgrades can be quite lengthy - nine months or more - so you need to consider how much to tie up the shipyard. PH's drydock is in heavy demand to repair ships damaged in battle, collisions, groundings, etc. Only short upgrades should be done there with ships that need to return to the combat area as soon as possible.
Note that if the upgrade does not incur floatation damage but requires a shipyard to start, you can usually transfer the ship to pierside repair immediately after the upgrade starts. I think the idea is that the SY has crane capacity that is needed to remove old equipment or load new equipment onto the ship so the drydock itself is not needed.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Thanks for all the advice. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI