Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis AI in europe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Axis AI in europe Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis AI in europe - 10/26/2019 1:21:24 PM   
chopper66

Hi,

I've been tinkering with things a bit, e.g. adding more planes and ships at the start, tweaking ZOCs, mud effect and 'motorising' costs as well as opening access to light tanks, recon and field artillery. One other change is how quickly Italy joins, i.e. later, which seemed a small change. All the above worked well playing Axis and things are far from easy, with Russia falling in early 44.

So, I started as allied only to find that Germany sat back in Europe until Italy joined.

Does that ring true as in the German AI will delay until Italy joins?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Axis AI in europe - 10/26/2019 8:39:08 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Chopper66,

No that doesn't sound right at all and sounds like the Axis AI, and possibly the Allied AI lost its planning from perhaps your tinkering. To make sure please open the campaign again, and go to Campaign -> Edit AI Scripts and then 'Update All'.

I would do the same for EVENT scripts as well and then save and see it that makes a difference.

Hubert

(in reply to chopper66)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis AI in europe - 10/26/2019 10:13:31 PM   
chopper66

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't clear enough in that things are fine until Holland, Belgium and Lux fall. The AI then sits along the border with France and pokes at and next to Lille, but that's normal before any tinkering. This relative passiveness changes when Italy joins before and after my tinkering. I delayed the Italian entry in the hope that this would keep its fleet safe until France is pacified - the AI simply throws its ships away against the French. I understand the general mechanics behind this broad type of AI, without boring you with the why, and was hoping to make it play a little less mini-max.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 3
RE: Axis AI in europe - 10/28/2019 3:04:39 AM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Chopper66,

Thanks for the extra info and I can't speak for your mod, but for the default game I just ran another test and I don't really see the AI delaying and waiting for Italy to join. At least in my test game, an AI vs AI test game, it took the Low Countries by May 10th, it did a half pause as it reinforced and upgraded some units (some available units still pressed the attack on this turn), but then continued in earnest on the next turn. The following turn Italy joined which was June 7th.

For me this felt/looked normal and as expected as Paris was then taken in early July.

Perhaps your mod has significant ZoC changes limiting Axis movement on the narrow front after the Low Countries? Without having a full understanding of your changes I can only guess.

Also, when you say delay, how many turns are we talking here exactly?

For the Italian Navy throwing itself against the French naval units, are you possibly playing with FoW off?

Hubert

(in reply to chopper66)
Post #: 4
RE: Axis AI in europe - 10/28/2019 4:40:37 PM   
chopper66

Thanks again for the reply, which is appreciated.

The ZoC point is interesting. I've made corps equivalent to armies in terms of ZoC, but my playstyle is to load up the border to the north with armies because of Lille being attractive so that may easily slow things down.

I originally posted after November arrived without a breakthrough, despite Germany having a lot more firepower available to it.

I very much like the game, which is easily the best computerised WW2 turn based strategy game ever - I am a 53 year old grognard so have played a lot of games.

I play with FoW. I was hoping to try and arrive at a more conservative Italian AI that looked to keep its navy out of the way until France had surrendered, but am not making much headway. My favourite box game of the same type is Flames of War, where a strategy of avoiding combat with French ships is a good idea. I can keep the French out of the way to make it more interesting later, but wanted to try and make that unnecessary.

The mod I've evolved plays well, it seems to me, when I play as axis, but not so much when I play as allies.

Solo play is fun though.

I'll keep tinkering. I'll share it if I ever get to a point where it might be of interest.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Axis AI in europe Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI