Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

About Optimum Artillery Delay

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> About Optimum Artillery Delay Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
About Optimum Artillery Delay - 7/28/2003 11:07:10 PM   
Vathailos

When playing against strong artillery nations (US, Russia) as I am now, I wanted some information about optimizing my artillery response. Viking02 is playing the US against my Germans, and his artillery plot time allows him to counter-battery my hapless pieces/crews.

I think that a 0.4 to 0.5 delay will get my shells falling in the end of his turn. Is this correct? Is there a way to time my artillery so that it fires late enough so that strong (fast response) artillery countries can’t adequately spot and plot counter-battery against me?

I can’t get any delay between 0.5 and 1.0, it’s 0.1-0.5, then goes to 1.0 (even if I shift repeatedly). I’ve read Capt. Pixel’s report on Arty Management and I think I understand that there may not be anything between 0.5 and 1.0. Is that correct?

He states that a 0.3-0.4 delay will consume ammo rapidly (because it fires twice), but I think it’s possible to cancel after the first “volley”. Again, would that be accurate?

Thanks again in advance.

~Vath
Post #: 1
- 7/28/2003 11:27:44 PM   
rbrunsman

You need to read Capt Pixel's artillery training thread.

[URL=http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22905]Arty management class[/URL]

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Vathailos)
Post #: 2
Mea culpa - 7/28/2003 11:48:20 PM   
Vathailos

Sorry RB, should have indicated that I'd read it before. I just re-read it and edited my post somewhat.

I just needed a bit more clarification.

Let me be specific with my questions:

There is no delay between 0.5 and 1.0?

0.4 or 0.5 will have rounds START falling at the end of your opponent’s turn (and therefore no counter-battery)?

And delays of 1.0 or greater are only useful for “pre-plotting” and adjusting?

Thanks, sorry unclear in the original question.

(in reply to Vathailos)
Post #: 3
- 7/29/2003 2:02:52 AM   
rbrunsman

Vat:

0.0 to 0.2 arty falls right [U]after[/U] your turn. Thus, if you have a target you want to hit for sure you need arty with this delay. If you have arty that shoots fast enough (the US) then you can always hit your targets. The problem is that your opponent gets his whole turn to try to rally his men. Arty is a great suppresser and not a great killer, so arty falling this quickly isn't as much help to you as you would expect (unless you're shooting at Russians or Italians which have a hard time rallying).

For delays of 0.3 to 0.5, your arty falls right [U]before[/U] your turn. Thus, if you can guess where your opponent will be at the end of his turn, you can target that hex and be almost guaranteed of a severely suppressed unit in that hex. The trick is to know exactly where your opponent will be. Mastering the use of 0.3 delay barrages will take you a long way.

As for how much arty is fired: 0.0 gets you all the rounds that tube can fire, 0.1 gets you a little less and so on. You should always check to make sure your delayed barrages are not scheduled to land on the heads of the men you just used to route an enemy squad from a targeted hex. If it is still targeted, you can just cancel the rest of the barrage.

The 1.x and 2.x delays indicated how many turns from now the rounds will start landing.

To avoid on board counter battery fire you need to fire 0.3 to 0.5 so you have time to move your tubes. If you fire 0.1 or 0.2 then your opponent can pinpoint your location and pound it with his own 0.1 or 0.2 delayed rounds.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Vathailos)
Post #: 4
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... fect! - 7/29/2003 2:08:44 AM   
Vathailos

That's exactly what I was trying to confirm.

Many thanks RB! :D

In my current battle against Viking02, he has counter-batteried me pretty well.

The "delay" is what I was looking for, that'll let me shoot-n-scoot much more effectively.

Muwahahaha! ;)

(in reply to Vathailos)
Post #: 5
- 7/29/2003 7:22:47 AM   
VikingNo2

:rolleyes:

(in reply to Vathailos)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> About Optimum Artillery Delay Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI