Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scen 1 and Scen 2 difference

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scen 1 and Scen 2 difference Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scen 1 and Scen 2 difference - 12/1/2019 12:41:43 PM   
Lictuel

I'm pretty much new to WitP apart from playing smaller scenarios and reading AARs over the years.
I want to start my first GC pbem with a player that is also pretty new. Since the consensus seems to be that playing Japan is harder we want to give the axis player some bonus. In the base game scenario 2 seems to fit that bill, at least according to the description in game.

Can anyone point me to more in detail descriptions of the differences between these two scenarios? I was also pointed to the between the storms scenario as an alternative. Anyone got information how those two stack up and what would be a suitable scenario for two beginners looking to give Japan some edge?
Post #: 1
RE: Scen 1 and Scen 2 difference - 12/1/2019 12:51:18 PM   
Anachro

If you and your friend are new, I'd recommend doing a Guadalcanal PBEM first. You will learn a lot and the match is relatively even in terms of naval power (that said, the victory objectives of Japan are much harder, just as they were harder in real life). The Guadalcanal scenario is less than a year in game-time (I forget how many months, maybe 5-8?) and depending on you and your partner's speed, can be done in a few months or less of real-life time. You don't have to put in orders for the whole pacific, just the South Pacific, and you will learn a LOT about the game mechanics. For the Japanese player, they will learn a lot about the grim situation of Japanese logistics and the necessity of conservation of fuel. Hehehe.

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 2
RE: Scen 1 and Scen 2 difference - 12/1/2019 12:57:46 PM   
Anachro

Regarding Scenario 2, all I remember is that Japan gets a beefed up OOB for the IJN, IJAA, and IJA and perhaps a better resource situation. Still, I think the Japan should in the long-term still be outclassed by Allied power. Reluctant Admiral / Between the Storms significantly beef up Japan's military strength at the cost of reducing their early resource situation, making it a necessity to grab resource/fuel producing areas fast.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 3
RE: Scen 1 and Scen 2 difference - 12/1/2019 12:59:48 PM   
Shellshock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lictuel

I'm pretty much new to WitP apart from playing smaller scenarios and reading AARs over the years.
I want to start my first GC pbem with a player that is also pretty new. Since the consensus seems to be that playing Japan is harder we want to give the axis player some bonus. In the base game scenario 2 seems to fit that bill, at least according to the description in game.

Can anyone point me to more in detail descriptions of the differences between these two scenarios? I was also pointed to the between the storms scenario as an alternative. Anyone got information how those two stack up and what would be a suitable scenario for two beginners looking to give Japan some edge?

Here is a link to an older thread that explains the differences

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3405818

The Hakko Ichiu 02 campaign scenario basically beefs up the beginning Japanese order of battle from the start. More trained pilots, a generous stockpile of fuel and supplies and a stronger economic base. A few more ground divisions and ships. It's not a huge fantasy scenario if playing the Japanese AI. However, an experienced Japanese player would probably be able to make substantial use of the differences.

< Message edited by Shellshock -- 12/1/2019 1:02:34 PM >

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 4
RE: Scen 1 and Scen 2 difference - 12/1/2019 1:06:35 PM   
ITAKLinus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Regarding Scenario 2, all I remember is that Japan gets a beefed up OOB for the IJN, IJAA, and IJA and perhaps a better resource situation. Still, I think the Japan should in the long-term still be outclassed by Allied power. Reluctant Admiral / Between the Storms significantly beef up Japan's military strength at the cost of reducing their early resource situation, making it a necessity to grab resource/fuel producing areas fast.

I might be wrong because I play Scen1 only, but I think Scen2 adds:

- A whole army arriving after few months (maybe Feb-42) which includes veteran divisions.

- Tojo mounts Ha-35 and arrives in June instead of September (is it correct or I recall something foolish?).

- More pilots coming from the pipeline.

- Shinano is a Tahio-class CV instead of the crappy CV it is in Scen1.

- Starting pilots are better overall.

- Few more IJNAF groups, mainly few more Nells/Betties and few more Zeroes. Actual numbers are totally out of my minds.

- Bigger initial stocks.

- More factories (R&D and a/c production).

I might be completely wrong on what I listed above but it's what I do recall abut Scen2.

I add that probably, if you both are beginners, Scen1 is still ok. The whole point of my position is that, a part from a personal distaste, you can find a lot of good info on the forum on how to set up the industry and the logistics for Scen1. It's somehow easier to just follow advices and schemes, since you find plenty. Provided that setting up the industry and the logistics is probably the most challenging thing for beginners trying to approach JAP-side.

Playing a scenario as suggested can be quite good, especially if you are complete beginners. It also gives an insight on the other person, so that you can understand if you are compatible as persons/players before starting a long-term committment such as a GC.

Just my 2 cents.

Francesco

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 5
RE: Scen 1 and Scen 2 difference - 12/1/2019 1:14:34 PM   
Trugrit

+1 to all above.

Scenario 2 will be fine for you.

I recommend you play with Player Defined Upgrades turned off.

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 6
RE: Scen 1 and Scen 2 difference - 12/1/2019 1:55:16 PM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: ITAKLinus
Shinano is a Tahio-class CV instead of the crappy CV it is in Scen1.

There might actually be a legitimate use for the Shinano, but perhaps this forum just hasn't found it yet; and that legitimate use might not be worth the cost in production points. As part of their review for changes to carrier doctrine after Midway, the IJN envisioned a need for British-style armored decks on their carriers and viewed CV's Taiho and Shinano in a future engagement as being at the vanguard of the CV division with primarily fighters on deck. That way, they could soak up the enemy attacks with their armor while retaining the ability to provide CAP defense. Meanwhile, the more vulnerable unarmored CVs would be further back with the bomber strike power.

That was the theory at least. They didn't expect subpar damage control training/doctrine to cause a carrier like the Taiho to be sunk by one torpedo hit!

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 7
RE: Scen 1 and Scen 2 difference - 12/1/2019 1:59:32 PM   
Lictuel

Thanks for all the replies!

I know the other player already from playing other wargames with him so that is not a problem. Plus we both played Guadalcanal already (albeit against the AI) so maybe we are both a bit less green at least.

After reading the thread Shellshock posted it sounds to me like scenario 2 could indeed be a bit much for an unexpierenced allied player. I guess we will talk about it again and see where we go.

< Message edited by Lictuel -- 12/1/2019 2:00:45 PM >

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scen 1 and Scen 2 difference Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI