Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Colors of the display supplypath

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Colors of the display supplypath Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Colors of the display supplypath - 2/5/2020 1:36:39 PM   
HvMoltke

Hi to the AE Giants
My question is: when I hit 5 I get the supplypath displayed in green white or red. What is the difference?
Say, as IJ player I point on Bangkok and get numbers in green, when I point on Shanghai I get them in red and when I start displaying the supplypath I get the numbers in white.
That is too much for me
Post #: 1
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/5/2020 4:06:53 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HvMoltke

Hi to the AE Giants
My question is: when I hit 5 I get the supplypath displayed in green white or red. What is the difference?
Say, as IJ player I point on Bangkok and get numbers in green, when I point on Shanghai I get them in red and when I start displaying the supplypath I get the numbers in white.
That is too much for me

Just a guess, but maybe the red means the base is too short on supply to send any out, the white means it can send some supply and the green means it can send the maximum amount of supply that units within range are demanding?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to HvMoltke)
Post #: 2
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/5/2020 6:12:05 PM   
HvMoltke

Pictures help sometimes 100% more than words

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/5/2020 6:13:02 PM   
HvMoltke

Next picture

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HvMoltke)
Post #: 4
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/5/2020 6:13:49 PM   
HvMoltke

And herev the next

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HvMoltke)
Post #: 5
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/5/2020 6:15:15 PM   
HvMoltke

You see in the last 2 pictures I took the same region and the pathcolour changed. Why

(in reply to HvMoltke)
Post #: 6
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/5/2020 6:18:43 PM   
HvMoltke

Now the same region changed to white while I was posting this message

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HvMoltke)
Post #: 7
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/5/2020 7:03:27 PM   
USSAmerica

The last two changes pictured in China, you have selected two different bases. I'm sure the red numbers are because Shanghai does not have sufficient supply to spare any for anyone else. There is a red exclamation point symbol on that base, which usually indicates supply shortages for the base needs.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to HvMoltke)
Post #: 8
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/5/2020 8:29:07 PM   
HvMoltke

Hi Mike
That looks like the explanation. From Wuchang supply can be moved to Shanghai 100 down to 77. Green shows which place can support its surrounding bases. Red means it can`t, thats it! Lesson learned.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 9
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/6/2020 3:19:17 PM   
rustysi

OK, I've seen some of this before. I've seen the white and green numbers, and all it appears to be is the display.

Try this, once the numbers appear move the cursor so the map shifts. In all my cases the numbers go from green back to white.

So, what do the numbers mean? From the originating supply hex (normally 100), they indicate how often the hex in question may be supplied each week. They are reflected in a range, exactly how I forget. Suffice it to say that as the number drops so does the number of times per week the hex will receive supplies.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to HvMoltke)
Post #: 10
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/6/2020 9:43:24 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

OK, I've seen some of this before. I've seen the white and green numbers, and all it appears to be is the display.

Try this, once the numbers appear move the cursor so the map shifts. In all my cases the numbers go from green back to white.

So, what do the numbers mean? From the originating supply hex (normally 100), they indicate how often the hex in question may be supplied each week. They are reflected in a range, exactly how I forget. Suffice it to say that as the number drops so does the number of times per week the hex will receive supplies.

The numbers are the theoretical number of points that could reach that hex (of the original 100) using all possible paths to get there. It does not take into account the demand for supply which will draw the actual supply along the most efficient route to get there, decreasing the amount going to hexes that do not need supply.
The further the numbers propagate, the more efficient the path.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 11
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/7/2020 6:41:39 AM   
alanschu

Oh huh I did not know about this map mode. Handy!

I guess I've never really thought about it, but this would mean I should have no issues keeping Coal Harbour supplied if I dump a whole bunch of supplies in Victoria then as well?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/7/2020 8:26:00 AM   
Yaab

White sometimes changes to green. It is a display problem. Try scrolling the map and you should see green reverting to white. Annoying as hell.

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 13
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/7/2020 5:24:16 PM   
gervabit

I hang on to your question, when you press 5 I only get the points but not the numbers, have you pressed any other button?

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 14
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/7/2020 8:46:07 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

Oh huh I did not know about this map mode. Handy!

I guess I've never really thought about it, but this would mean I should have no issues keeping Coal Harbour supplied if I dump a whole bunch of supplies in Victoria then as well?

This display is only available in games against the AI, not in PBEM.

Coal Harbour will eventually draw supply from Victoria. It just takes two weeks or so for the supply path to fill up. Victoria needs to get supply and fuel from Oak Harbour across the channel. Set Oak Harbour to draw +2 supply clicks but not stockpile. Build OH port too if you need to increase the flow. IIRC the automatic flow via fishing boats per turn is something like 200 X the level of the smaller port.

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 15
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/7/2020 8:46:59 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: gervabit

I hang on to your question, when you press 5 I only get the points but not the numbers, have you pressed any other button?

You must be playing in PBEM? The display numbers are not available in that type of game.

(in reply to gervabit)
Post #: 16
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/7/2020 8:50:26 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

White sometimes changes to green. It is a display problem. Try scrolling the map and you should see green reverting to white. Annoying as hell.

The same thing can happen with display of mine icons in a hex. I had red mine icons on one of my bases and sent in all kinds of minesweepers to get rid of them. Then I happened to shift the map display one move to the side and saw the mines change colour to green! So I shifted the map sideways some more and got various other colours - yellow, blue, brown - all the national unit colours in the game.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 17
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/9/2020 7:34:25 PM   
rustysi

quote:

The numbers are the theoretical number of points that could reach that hex (of the original 100) using all possible paths to get there.

Disagree. I don't have the time to search for the reference right now. I try again another day, but it may take a while.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 18
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/9/2020 7:36:51 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I just said that.

quote:

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 19
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/10/2020 6:09:45 AM   
Ian R

I had a very long post in response but lost it

The short version is probably better anyway.

See page 250 of the manual. The numbers indicate the effectiveness of supply radiation from a node (base). I fiddled with this many moons ago, and can't remember of I decided it was a cost to leave a hex, as opposed to entering a new one.

Actually on reflection it's a bit of both - rail to rail costs 1/100, road to road costs 3/100, trails 5/100 and you get a -1/100 modifier if you go from a base/unit -> base/unit.

Off communications lines, a clear hex is 10/100, forest is 17/100, and so forth. However, if you are going from a hex with a communication line in it - at least a road or trail, anyway - this seemed to reduce the cost of going off-road into an adjacent hex. So, going from a cultivated hex (which has built in trails) to a plain clear hex, costs 7 instead of 10.

There are as per AE-usual some things which are hard to understand in the OP's Wuchang screenshot. Looking at the coast about 2 hexes east of Wenchow, there is a forest hex (no road) with a 15 point cost for supply to flow from an adjacent forest hex with a road in in it (66-51). Yet up near Wuchang, the hex southeast of the city (94), also a forest hex with a road going through it, is adjacent to a forest hex (no road) (78). The cost is 16, not 15. So there is other stuff going on under the hood.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 20
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/10/2020 4:14:21 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

I had a very long post in response but lost it

The short version is probably better anyway.

See page 250 of the manual. The numbers indicate the effectiveness of supply radiation from a node (base). I fiddled with this many moons ago, and can't remember of I decided it was a cost to leave a hex, as opposed to entering a new one.

Actually on reflection it's a bit of both - rail to rail costs 1/100, road to road costs 3/100, trails 5/100 and you get a -1/100 modifier if you go from a base/unit -> base/unit.

Off communications lines, a clear hex is 10/100, forest is 17/100, and so forth. However, if you are going from a hex with a communication line in it - at least a road or trail, anyway - this seemed to reduce the cost of going off-road into an adjacent hex. So, going from a cultivated hex (which has built in trails) to a plain clear hex, costs 7 instead of 10.

There are as per AE-usual some things which are hard to understand in the OP's Wuchang screenshot. Looking at the coast about 2 hexes east of Wenchow, there is a forest hex (no road) with a 15 point cost for supply to flow from an adjacent forest hex with a road in in it (66-51). Yet up near Wuchang, the hex southeast of the city (94), also a forest hex with a road going through it, is adjacent to a forest hex (no road) (78). The cost is 16, not 15. So there is other stuff going on under the hood.

Yes, the flow along single paths/terrain is described in the manual. Back when I first learned of the number 5 key and made some guesses about what the numbers mean, Alfred weighed in and mentioned that all paths from the originating hex to the hex with the number are in the calculation and the number is theoretical possibility, not actual flow.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 21
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/10/2020 5:20:59 PM   
rustysi

You can find what I was referring to in this post:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2878790&mpage=1&key=supply�

Specifically:

The value of the overland route then determines how often a delivery is made:

• Four times per week if the overland transportation route amounts to 89 - 100
• Two times per week if the route amounts to 49 – 88
• Once per week if the route amounts to 10 – 48

Of course there are other considerations as to whether supply gets delivered.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 2/10/2020 5:28:11 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 22
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/11/2020 1:23:54 PM   
HansBolter

It's a damn shame the attrition effects of terrain on supply movement were weakened so severely from the good ole Uncommon Valor days.

I recall it was all but impossible to push supply from Port Moresby to the Lae area.

Would be just as impossible to push supply from India to Burma if they hadn't weakened it so severely.

Damn Shame!

Hans

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 23
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/12/2020 5:15:08 PM   
rustysi

I agree with Hans, its does seem easier to push supply into some areas in the game than IRL.

OTOH, the resupply limits noted above should help alleviate the situation.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 24
RE: Colors of the display supplypath - 2/12/2020 5:30:11 PM   
RangerJoe

Well, are the mules and the mules skinners vehicles or just support troops? Not to mention the water buffaloes and their carts.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Colors of the display supplypath Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI