Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Command HQ and base supply

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Command HQ and base supply Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Command HQ and base supply - 5/6/2020 6:15:38 AM   
Yaab

Let's say I have command HQ in base X. The HQ is the only unit in the base. The HQ needs 300 supplies, and the base gathers 900 supplies (LCU supply need x 3). But the command HQ also attracts 20,000 supplies to itself at all times as per manual. After a few turns, the base has around 21,000 supplies (supply comes form surrounding bases with res/LI).

Now my question. Base X, in order to export its supplies to bases/LCUs outside base X, first has to have a exportable surplus beyond what base X needs. In our case, it this surplus anything above 900 supplies(what HQ needs) or 21,000 supplies(HQ need+HQ 20k supplies stash)?

Post #: 1
RE: Command HQ and base supply - 5/6/2020 12:10:53 PM   
PaxMondo

To my knowledge the HQ requirement has to be filled prior to export … at least I use this quite frequently.

Having said that, like everything else in a Grigsby game, there are few absolutes (are there any? ) Clearly, periodically, there are some shifts in the supply management AI ... a shake up. The frequency of these are unpredictable, but the longer a supply pathway is in existence, the longer between these events. It is all part of managing the "Magic Highway", why it works once in place, and a piece of the puzzle you have to solve to get it in place.

I should also add that these concepts also apply on the allied trying to get supply to Perth or to move around India etc.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 5/6/2020 12:13:29 PM >

Pax

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 2
RE: Command HQ and base supply - 5/6/2020 1:45:33 PM   
Alfred

It is what is shown on the base screen as required supply.  However note post #8 in this thread

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2378820&mpage=1&key=&#2379603

which explains what isn't shown to the player.

Alfred

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 3
RE: Command HQ and base supply - 5/6/2020 3:14:08 PM   
Yaab

Thanks, Alfred. Had to check the manual again. Page 178 says this:

If a friendly base is in a hex with a Command HQ, the base will attempt to stockpile 25,000
extra supplies. This is in addition to whatever supplies would normally try to move to the base
to meet current and expected supply needs of the forces in the hex or any additional supply
drawn forward by the manual stockpile routine.(END QUOTE)

The thing is, Chungking with its Chinese command HQ, was having 21-22,000 supplies for several turns in December 1941, giving daily replacement to its LCUs, when, surprisingly, the supplies dropped to 13,000 supplies,and LCU screens switched to "replacements delayed 3 days". So it seems to me the base can still export supplies even though the command HQ tells the base to collect 25,000 supplies in Chungking. After the unexpected supply outflow, which was probably a weekly automated push of supplies throughout China, I changed the supply required in Chungking to 8000+, so the base has to gather 24,000 supplies at all times. The outflows then stopped.

EDIT: Found the answer.

The starting units in Chungking want 3700 supplies, thus the base tries to gather around 12,000 supplies. Count the added replacements in December 1941 and the gathered amount easily fits the arbitrary number of 13,000 supplies in my example.

Thus, even though a base with a command HQ tries to gather 25,000 supplies as per the manual, it exports supplies based on the "real" need of units sitting in the base, which is 13,000 supplies in my example. Thus, in order to be sure you actually have the 20k or 25k supplies in the base at all times, you need to set the base's supply need to 7000+ or 8000+.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 5/6/2020 4:00:12 PM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Command HQ and base supply Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI