Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I got this crazy notion to play "The Longest Day"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: I got this crazy notion to play "The Longest Day" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I got this crazy notion to play "The Longest D... - 3/24/2021 2:39:30 PM   
Hanny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognerd_INC

The rules are now on-line so I downloaded Vassal and the Longest Day module.

Now just starting the June 7th turn. June 6th went reasonably historical.

I went totally overboard and also down loaded the modules for "Battle for Normandy - Cobra - Atlantic Wall - Normandy 44.
I have ordered Cobra and Battle for Normandy expansion so I should have all I need to play them. Rules for Atlantic Wall are on-line. Normandy 44 is a no go, too short a game.

Might be of use to check the game out over at board game geek in case it anything of interest.

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Post #: 1
RE: I got this crazy notion to play "The Longest D... - 3/26/2021 12:11:35 AM   
AndySfromVA

The 1962 film is still my favorite war movie.

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 2
RE: I got this crazy notion to play "The Longest D... - 3/26/2021 12:26:36 AM   
Bo Rearguard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognerd_INC

It's a pretty darn good flick - Have they ever done any other movie with that many movie stars in it?

I think A Bridge Too Far was comparable as far as war movies go. Also based on a book by Cornelius Ryan. I seem to recall that was the first movie I ever saw Anthony Hopkins in.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
Post #: 3
RE: I got this crazy notion to play "The Longest D... - 3/26/2021 1:03:39 AM   
MrsWargamer

A Bridge Too Far and The Longest Day, both by Cornelius Ryan. A shame the third book was not done. The Last Battle, about the Bulge.

I once, after a LOT of research, I mean a LOT of research, went the effort to simulate the exact D-Day losses for each beach done to the individual landing box. And depicted all the unit end points on the close of Day 1. it took me a LOT of effort.

But as anyone that has ever set up the game, after that many hours of effort, you want to at least have the same D+1 chances as they had in history. Because you have already been forced to land where they actually did all based on chance. Those landing boxes were not entirely what they had planned. The game is random enough already. I have no burning desire to simumlate D-Day in this design. D=! is fine :)

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: I got this crazy notion to play "The Longest Day" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI